Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by Caprifan Rob »

It's a brilliant atmospheric snapshot in time. Street could do with a clean :) but what a different pace of life, Steptoe would have been beeped out of the way before the picture was taken today. More like this please :cheers:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:
pbar wrote:
Caprigear wrote: The seventies were a bloody brilliant time to grow up in, I feel lucky to have lived in that era, pre PC, health & safety. Yes, there were the usual nutters and extremists but nothing on todays scale. Todays world and a huge majority of people inhabiting it really isn't a nice place.
Spot on Martin. Spot on :)
I 100% agree. I grew up in the 70's and became a teenager in 1975. Wonderful times. Out with my mates every day on our bicycles, playing footie and cricket in the street and didn't get colour telly until about 1974 - rented from local TV shop as well. Yes, my mates and I were little sods sometimes, ghost knocking neighbours and burning dog turd wrapped in newspapers left on one of them's doorstep after ring the bell! But all of this was reasonably harmless, we didn't know what a drug was and would never even think of being violent or aggresive to anyone. Further, we had respect which is a thing sadly lacking today.

As I'm at home these days caring for mum I've occasionally been watching the re-runs of Minder, The Sweeney and the Professionals and apart from the brilliant cars, everything around in the scenes in a way upsets me as to how things have changed and of how I remember things back then. Life was simpler and more pleasant in general. Apart from getting the cane at school that is!
Mischief is a far cry from what goes on now. If the Police still had authority I'm sure all would be better.

Miss my Mum and Dad but wouldn't inflict the :turd: society of today on them, and it will get worse!!

:agree: Great memories from the 70's programmes and good to share a forum with people with similar experiences :cheers:
You can't explain to people who weren't there what it was like back then :(
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:It's a brilliant atmospheric snapshot in time. Street could do with a clean :) but what a different pace of life, Steptoe would have been beeped out of the way before the picture was taken today. More like this please :cheers:
https://clearandgraphic.files.wordpress ... ambell.jpg :cheers:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:ghost knocking neighbours and burning dog turd wrapped in newspapers left on one of them's doorstep after ring the bell!
My Dad told me once, that they used to stick a drawing pin on the doorbell and smear dog poo on it. So someone would ring it, get a prick on the finger, then put in their mouth to suck it!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Paul G wrote:ghost knocking neighbours and burning dog turd wrapped in newspapers left on one of them's doorstep after ring the bell!
My Dad told me once, that they used to stick a drawing pin on the doorbell and smear dog poo on it. So someone would ring it, get a prick on the finger, then put in their mouth to suck it!
:lol: Heard that too.
Strange how we all put our fingers straight in our mouths when we hurt them :headscratch: Asking for trouble really.... :)
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Being of similar age I agree with a lot of the comments above but we all suffer a little from the old rose coloured glasses.
I remember some years ago my Mum saying that her Mum had complained that the 30s were a much better time - compared to late 60s/70s I believe. The 30s was a time when my Nan's first husband was in and out of hospital and then died, her youngest daughter had TB, they lost a son at 18 months primarily because he fell down some stone steps and she was means tested as she struggled to bring up two daughters. The difference was of course that she was much younger and had loads of friends around her. My Mum could see that but her Mum couldn't. We tend to be a bit selective with our memories and the constant changes to life some of which are good and some not. But we're lucky because we can keep the bits we like, old cars, old music etc and merge them with new stuff like computers and the internet and have the best of both worlds except for the ultimate best bit of being 30 odd years younger with fewer responsibilities. Interesting picture though.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote:but we all suffer a little from the old rose coloured glasses.
I have never really understood that comment. I certainly don't wear them :) You can look at things objectively and without a bias, and compare.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote:
Peter-S wrote:but we all suffer a little from the old rose coloured glasses.
I have never really understood that comment. I certainly don't wear them :) You can look at things objectively and without a bias, and compare.
We must be objectively comparing different bits of the 70s then :lol:
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote:It's a brilliant atmospheric snapshot in time. More like this please :cheers:
https://clearandgraphic.files.wordpress ... ambell.jpg :cheers:
:applaud:
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Peter-S wrote: we're lucky because we can keep the bits we like, old cars, old music etc and merge them with new stuff like computers and the internet and have the best of both worlds
:agree: Was a mere kid in the 70's , like a lot on here, I feel privileged to have experienced the nice things about it. Loved seeing a hero like Evel Knievel & watching Smokey & the Bandit first time around.
But I also enjoy seeing Ken Block in action today & am a fan of the Fast & Furious films & without the internet I wouldn't be chewing the fat with you guys.
Then as now though I still love Capris, that ain't going to change :D
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Peter-S wrote: we're lucky because we can keep the bits we like, old cars, old music etc and merge them with new stuff like computers and the internet and have the best of both worlds
:agree: Was a mere kid in the 70's , like a lot on here, I feel privileged to have experienced the nice things about it. Loved seeing a hero like Evel Knievel & watching Smokey & the Bandit first time around.
Don't forget these :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SquAmTNBy4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQcmR4RlEBk
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

andyd wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote:
I liked the Dukes of Hazard. So did my dad but not for the car chases. I wonder why?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Wow
Never new one picture would make us all feel the same . I would love to know where the picture was taken . I spent sometime in guys hosiptal and a group of us watched werewolf in london and noted that the 3 old homeless blokes are sleeping near HMS Belfast is but it’s a scrape yard in the 70s so we broke out at night to have a look .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote: watching Smokey & the Bandit first time around.
You forgot the Gumball Rally too :)
Paul G wrote: I liked the Dukes of Hazard. So did my dad but not for the car chases. I wonder why?
Daisy's just as smart in the remake too ;)
Jasonmarie wrote:Never new one picture would make us all feel the same .
Good find.
Glad Paul started this fun thread.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Jasonmarie wrote:Wow
Never new one picture would make us all feel the same . I would love to know where the picture was taken . I spent sometime in guys hosiptal and a group of us watched werewolf in london and noted that the 3 old homeless blokes are sleeping near HMS Belfast is but it’s a scrape yard in the 70s so we broke out at night to have a look .
The church in the background I'm pretty sure is St Anne's, Limehouse in the East End although the Capri wears a Berkshire registration number.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Great things to mention guys, all of those shows/films were great! Love the Dukes Of Hazzard too, one of the things on my must get box sets list, to go with the many I already have/watch.

The 70's were a great time for film, and there was a great trend for those involving cars, such as -

Carquake.
Cannonball Run.
Vanishing Point.
Duel.
Death Race 2000.
Gone In 60 Seconds.
Grand Theft Auto (directed by and starring a young Ron Howard)

Love film posters from that time period too.

andyd

Post by andyd »

Remember my Dad taking me to the pictures to see Hooper, Gumball Rally and Smokey and the Bandit :D

I never liked Star Wars etc, just anything with cars in it :wave:
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

I know it was late 60's rather than 70's but I still reckon one of if not the best car chase scenes was in Bullet. Classic.

Possibly just beaten by Ronin in the 90's!.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote:. I would love to know where the picture was taken .
My best guess is Northey Street, Limehouse. St Annes that Paul mentions is behind the new build block

ImageNorthey%20st1 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

That is impressive that you know where the picture was taken ....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: