It failed!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

It failed!

Post by Peter-S »

Took the 2.0 for the MOT this morning and they had the nerve to fail it! The headlamp main beam switch decided to get a little touchy and was making the lights flicker a bit. So back home, grabbed one of the spares from the drawer and 50 minutes later I had a pass :D
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: It failed!

Post by Jasonmarie »

Lucky you had a spare but glad it’s passed . What a day to go out as the weather up north here to you as been like the darkest days ever .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Lucky you had a spare but glad it’s passed . What a day to go out as the weather up north here to you as been like the darkest days ever .
Bright and sunny this morning. Back under cover by the time the rain arrived :)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Always handy to have some spare items :)
Although I have none.....Better do some shopping myself :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Nice one Peter. Glad it passed fella. They could have let that go knowing full well you would get it sorted. I use the same mot guy for years so little things he would usually let go. Bit of common sense with a classic car....

Anyway great you got the pass....

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Glad it passed easily Peter. I've just found that my MOT garage that I've been going to for the last 30 years has closed. Got to find a new sensible one now. The old place was brilliant as if there was a fault he would pass the car and just write on a bit of paper what needed done, so long as it was fairly minor. I would always do what was needed as it was my neck on the line as well as his. I've now got to build up trust with somewhere else which I suppose will take time.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

The garage I use are all in their 20's and 30's and like classic cars, and don't :spank: you for unnecessary work.

After 500 miles between the last MOT's, the tester advised slight play in inner steering rack ends. The other mechanic said it's fine and nothing to worry about he is just a bit belt and braces....
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Nice one Peter. Glad it passed fella. They could have let that go knowing full well you would get it sorted. I use the same mot guy for years so little things he would usually let go. Bit of common sense with a classic car....

Anyway great you got the pass....

All the best

Nick

They are actually a good garage Nick. The sort of place that lets you tweak the carb if emissions fail and lets you sort a duff number plate bulb in your own time (just before the next years mot in my case!) and they were keen to get me back and sorted in in the same morning if possible so I'm OK with them. Of course if I hadn't had a spare kicking around I might have felt differently!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Peter,
Glad you car passed it's MOT. Now it's all ready to hit the road as soon as the weather gets better....July, maybe? :D

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:July, maybe? :D

Andrew.

Well, you never know ... :D
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

It's a pain if they fail for something petty but apparently the MoT inspectors can wait around the corner for a car that's just been tested, take it back and do it again themselves, and if anything isn't right disciplinary action is taken against the tester. Hence even if it's something they know you'll see to, they have to take care.