New TopGear

Use this forum to post up threads of pictures. e.g. Car Shows, Brochures, Meets etc. If you have a thread in another forum you would like moved here, please PM Admin.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

New TopGear

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Was lucky to be offered tickets for the filming of the first episode of the new TopGear series yesterday. Spent the afternoon in Dunsfold Surrey in the BBC studio with my son. It was great to see how they film it, and how many takes each snippet of the show requires before they're happy with it. You get to watch the entire pre-filmed episode as well as the studio bit. Rob Bryden was the 'star in the reasonably fast car', he was gutted as it was hammering down & had a Very Wet time. Something different to have seen & this V8 themed episode actually looked pretty good. Hoping the new series will be better than the last.

Took some pictures of the set once filming had finished, starting with the drive in on the air strip;

Coolest burger van, in public car park.

Sneaky pic of set.

Fuzzy covert Porsche pic.

In case you weren't sure what bus to catch ..

It was a long drive for us but a great day to remember.
Rob
Last edited by Caprifan Rob on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: New TopGear

Post by andyd »

Nice one Rob :)

Been watching a few TG repeats recently. The ones around 2003 are ok but the later episodes got too stupid imo.....
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:Nice one Rob :)

Been watching a few TG repeats recently. The ones around 2003 are ok but the later episodes got too stupid imo.....
:agree: Yes, the later episodes lost their way a bit. It's become a boys adventure program now, the cars are there to help them enjoy it. Nice work if you can get it though :D
Last edited by Caprifan Rob on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Rob,
It sounds like you had a great day!
Love that burger van.

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: It sounds like you had a great day!
Love that burger van.
It was a good day, didn't get a chance to sample the burgers as we were running late, great truck though, very mad max :D
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I was in the audience at Dunsfold with the old Top Gear presenters a few years back. One of the things that stuck in my mind was how few retakes they had to do. At one point Jeremy Clarkson waved to stop the cameras and pointed out that no one had laughed during his introduction of the Stig so they did that line again. That was it.

James May is great. When recording was paused for the audience to have our break outside the hangar he walked out with the rest of us and went to help the caterers, opening boxes of crisps at one point diving under a trestle table to sort out an extension lead to one of the tea urns. He then spent the rest of the time handing out cans and cups of tea and chatting to all and sundry.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote:I was in the audience at Dunsfold with the old Top Gear presenters a few years back. One of the things that stuck in my mind was how few retakes they had to do. At one point Jeremy Clarkson waved to stop the cameras and pointed out that no one had laughed during his introduction of the Stig so they did that line again. That was it.

James May is great. When recording was paused for the audience to have our break outside the hangar he walked out with the rest of us and went to help the caterers, opening boxes of crisps at one point diving under a trestle table to sort out an extension lead to one of the tea urns. He then spent the rest of the time handing out cans and cups of tea and chatting to all and sundry.
I like James May in anything he does. The other two I can leave......
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote: I like James May in anything he does. The other two I can leave......
Not a fan of Total Wipeout then :D
Not_Anumber wrote:I was in the audience at Dunsfold with the old Top Gear presenters a few years back. One of the things that stuck in my mind was how few retakes they had to do
Not like that now, they did at least 4 takes of everything & one of them is a real actor ..
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprifan Rob wrote: one of them is a real actor ..
supposedly..... :)

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Love that burger van.
It was a good day, didn't get a chance to sample the burgers as we were running late, great truck though, very mad max :D
Very Duel, you mean good sir!

It is one of the three trucks used in filming.. Peterbuilt 251... if memory serves. The guy bought is a massive Duel fan. He then says "I had terrible trouble getting it over here, it wouldn't go into a shipping container!"

Hardly surprising look at the size of one of them next to the Plymouth Valiant:

On another note, the guy that delivered the truck that goes off the cliff to the studio was the guy that drove it for the gasoline company before the truck got famous.. he drove it for years and hundreds of thousands of miles. He says it lacked power, had no airconditioning and by the time it was retired from work, it "was a wore out old dog. Going off the cliff at the end was the best thing that could have happened to it"! He said the onlygood thing about it was its long wheelbase.. whic hmade it nice and comfy to drive.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Major_Tom wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote:
Love that burger van.
Thanks, I didn't realise it was actually a piece of Hollywood. I just thought it was a mean looking old truck, wish I'd known, would have paid more attention to it. Haven't seen Duel in years, believe it was Steven Spielberg's first film. Thanks for the info :cool:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote:Image
Only a fool breaks the two second rule. Driving that close to the car in front will only end in tears..... :)

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Major_Tom wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote:
Love that burger van.

It is one of the three trucks used in filming.. Peterbuilt 251... if memory serves. The guy bought is a massive Duel fan. He then says "I had terrible trouble getting it over here, it wouldn't go into a shipping container!"

Hardly surprising look at the size of one of them next to the Plymouth Valiant:

On another note, the guy that delivered the truck that goes off the cliff to the studio was the guy that drove it for the gasoline company before the truck got famous.. he drove it for years and hundreds of thousands of miles. He says it lacked power, had no airconditioning and by the time it was retired from work, it "was a wore out old dog. Going off the cliff at the end was the best thing that could have happened to it"! He said the onlygood thing about it was its long wheelbase.. whic hmade it nice and comfy to drive.
Great info Tom. Probably my favourite Spielberg film that is, great movie.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote:
Major_Tom wrote: Very Duel, you mean good sir!
Great info Tom. Probably my favourite Spielberg film that is, great movie.
Hi guys, was lucky to be invited up again to watch an episode being filmed. Went with my youngest son this time. Really enjoyed it, Dara O Brian & Ed Byrne were the star guests this time. Took more interest this time in the catering truck now I know what it actually is. Paul, these pics are for you ;

No wonder the driver in the film had the hump driving this :D
Studio picture showing roof of Hyundai i30 N hot hatch.
Female Stig, Sabine Schmitz ?
Chris Harris' own 2CV used in the episode.
The 'reasonably fast car', note spare GT86 in background.

Another good looking episode, looking forward to seeing it now, starts Sunday.
Cheers,
Rob