Easy upgrades for my 1600?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
NaisiaN
Car(s): 1.6 laser 1986. (Toy)
1.4 Renault 19 TR 1989. (Daily)

Easy upgrades for my 1600?

Post by NaisiaN »

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked loads but can anyone recommend some relatively easy/cheap upgrades i could do to my 1.6 pinto to give it a bit more oomph! The threads i have found on the internet suggest swapping for a 2.0l and then starting from there. However i've decided i don't really want to do that with my capri being original as it is. summers creeping up and would be nice to get a few little bits done while its still off the road!

any links to parts which would be suitable upgrades would be appreciated!

:lowrider:
Jordan
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Easy upgrades for my 1600?

Post by D366Y »

I've just had a 2ltr cam fitted into mine, along with a new 32/36 weber carb and a 3" sportex kit without any silencers, makes a massive difference!! Could go for a lair-ier cam as the one I fitted is a standard, could for a faster road cam or race cam as well

Guessing you just have a standard 1.6 cam, 34 weber carb and a 2" sportex kit if it isn't standard?

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

D366Y wrote:I've just had a 2ltr cam fitted into mine, along with a new 32/36 weber carb and a 3" sportex kit without any silencers, makes a massive difference!! Could go for a lair-ier cam as the one I fitted is a standard, could for a faster road cam or race cam as well

Guessing you just have a standard 1.6 cam, 34 weber carb and a 2" sportex kit if it isn't standard?

Danny
Nice! yeah as far as i know mines bog standard, with a 34ICH carb fitted. ill have a look at a 2.0 cam, is it just a standard one from a 2.0pinto yours?
also something like this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-1 ... xyHslQ8D~f) cheapest one i could see on ebay lol.
Jordan
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

NaisiaN wrote:
Nice! yeah as far as i know mines bog standard, with a 34ICH carb fitted. ill have a look at a 2.0 cam, is it just a standard one from a 2.0pinto yours?
also something like this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-1 ... xyHslQ8D~f) cheapest one i could see on ebay lol.
I had a standard exhaust (many moons ago!) and since then I'm sure some of the guys on here will vouch for how loud it is these days! :lol:
And yes the new cam I got was a standard 2.0 cam which was about £100 (brand new one, not taken from an old 2ltr engine).

The exhaust manifold you have listed is exactly what I have, but is only for the first section, you would also need either this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-1 ... xyqUpQ8y1t) or this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-1 ... xySE9Q8z51)

There are whole kits for the exhaust as well, and if you are a CCI member this is the exact same thing they will send you and obviously you will get a discount so might be worth crunching the numbers to see what works out cheaper.

This is the cam I ordered (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CORTINA ... SwzlZaTg~6)

This is also the carb I ordered with everything ready to bolt on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEBER-32-36-D ... SwUKxYYVra

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

D366Y wrote:
NaisiaN wrote:
I had a standard exhaust (many moons ago!) and since then I'm sure some of the guys on here will vouch for how loud it is these days! :lol:
And yes the new cam I got was a standard 2.0 cam which was about £100 (brand new one, not taken from an old 2ltr engine).

The exhaust manifold you have listed is exactly what I have, but is only for the first section, you would also need either this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-1 ... xyqUpQ8y1t) or this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-1 ... xySE9Q8z51)

There are whole kits for the exhaust as well, and if you are a CCI member this is the exact same thing they will send you and obviously you will get a discount so might be worth crunching the numbers to see what works out cheaper.

This is the cam I ordered (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CORTINA ... SwzlZaTg~6)

This is also the carb I ordered with everything ready to bolt on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEBER-32-36-D ... SwUKxYYVra

Cheers
Danny
Awesome mate thanks for that! i Think i had a Sportex exhaust on my old Capri actually, it was loud what ever it was lol. Will get some bits ordered!
Them Carbs are ridiculous prices though, that may have to wait. :shock:
Jordan
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

D366Y wrote:I've just had a 2ltr cam fitted into mine, along with a new 32/36 weber carb and a 3" sportex kit without any silencers, makes a massive difference!! Could go for a lair-ier cam as the one I fitted is a standard, could for a faster road cam or race cam as well

Danny
Is it still going well then? Did you have it rolling road tuned or leave it as I left it? Have you put a grommet on that radio feed wire where it goes through the bulkhead yet?

Regarding going for a higher state of tune than Danny's, I'd think twice about spending a lot on the top end and putting it on a high mileage bottom end. You will just hasten its demise as they say. If you're really wanting to go down the hot cam and gas flowed head route then budget for having the bottom end done as well.

Mine 1.6 Laser's done 186,000 on original matching numbers engine, head, cam etc as well as the other mechanicals so I'm leaving the old girl standard for now until the engine tells me it wants a rebuild.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I would just swap the exhaust as that really does make a difference and a easy fix and you get a nice sound .

If all is working well leave alone as your only get about 1/2 a second faster in the long run that many of us never use .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

makes sense! i think i will deffo get the exhaust swapped and possibly a new cam. The engine in mine has only done 56000 and gets used rarely so hopefully i wont have those issues? i don't wanna go to extreme or spend to much, as in all honesty id rather just buy a 2.0l and then add to that. but anything that makes it feel a little more lively or sound it is all good for now :D.
Jordan
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

2ltr cam, decent exhaust and manifold, 32/36 weber. Noticeable difference in performance, easy to do. Simples
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I know mine is a 2.0 but I have the CCI exhaust on with there manifold and just ticking over with small revs it sounds like this .

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/nYaUzycQxAI[/YouTube]

https://youtu.be/nYaUzycQxAI

Gives you a rough idea.
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

NaisiaN wrote: yeah as far as i know mines bog standard, with a 34ICH carb fitted.
Ok, so I'm being picky....
But the 34ICH is actually not standard. Would have been put on at some point to replace the VV.
You'll see an adaptor plate between the carb and the manifold.
It's actually a nice little carb, but a 32/36, with a 4-branch exhaust and a 2 litre cam will replicate the set up of the old 1.6S.
It'll be happier revving high than a 2 litre will.
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

Jasonmarie wrote:I know mine is a 2.0 but I have the CCI exhaust on with there manifold and just ticking over with small revs it sounds like this .

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/nYaUzycQxAI[/YouTube]

https://youtu.be/nYaUzycQxAI

Gives you a rough idea.
Nice, sounds growly
Jordan
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

Bug wrote:
NaisiaN wrote: yeah as far as i know mines bog standard, with a 34ICH carb fitted.
Ok, so I'm being picky....
But the 34ICH is actually not standard. Would have been put on at some point to replace the VV.
You'll see an adaptor plate between the carb and the manifold.
It's actually a nice little carb, but a 32/36, with a 4-branch exhaust and a 2 litre cam will replicate the set up of the old 1.6S.
It'll be happier revving high than a 2 litre will.
yeah sorry i meant its standard, but with a 34ich carb.

cheers! everyone seems to be suggesting that that's the route to take. Just need to get spending now!
Jordan
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

When you get the cam fitted and still want a bit more but still want carbs then have a look at bike carbs. DIY manifold kits around for £70. Much smoother driving than any type of Webers, better fuel economy and massive unrestricted airflow when you want it. An old 1600 that doesn't rattle & knock will love them. My 2.0 litre loves them and is probably at around 150,000 miles.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:

Danny
Is it still going well then? Did you have it rolling road tuned or leave it as I left it? Have you put a grommet on that radio feed wire where it goes through the bulkhead yet?
It is still going yes, thanks for your help sorting it! I've not had a chance so far to take the car to get it rolling-roaded so far over winter but am hoping to get it sorted before 'show season' as I'm sure I'll be driving it a lot over summer.

In the end I spent three or four days and wired the radio properly off the original wires and took out the wire that ran straight to the battery out in the end, stuck the grommet in to bung the hole up a bit!

Cheers
Danny
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

NaisiaN wrote: Awesome mate thanks for that! i Think i had a Sportex exhaust on my old Capri actually, it was loud what ever it was lol. Will get some bits ordered!
Them Carbs are ridiculous prices though, that may have to wait. :shock:
Yeah the cam is pretty cheap for what it is, and yes the carbs aren't cheap...you could look to get all those parts required second hand but considering all those parts are brand new I personally didn't want to risk it, does make a massive difference though, you can definitely feel the kick when the second choke opens up, and considering I had the exact same set-up as you there is definitely a massive difference. Not sure how much you would notice it with just the new cam though.... The bigger carbs are definitely what help notice the difference

Danny
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

NaisiaN wrote:Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked loads but can anyone recommend some relatively easy/cheap upgrades i could do to my 1.6 pinto to give it a bit more oomph!
A bit more 00mph? Just keep it in neutral with the handbrake on.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

nigecapri wrote:When you get the cam fitted and still want a bit more but still want carbs then have a look at bike carbs. DIY manifold kits around for £70. Much smoother driving than any type of Webers, better fuel economy and massive unrestricted airflow when you want it. An old 1600 that doesn't rattle & knock will love them. My 2.0 litre loves them and is probably at around 150,000 miles.
thanks, have thought about bike carbs but not sure where to start. any particular type/brand or will most fit?
Jordan
NaisiaN

Post by NaisiaN »

Major_Tom wrote:
NaisiaN wrote:Hi All,

I'm sure this has been asked loads but can anyone recommend some relatively easy/cheap upgrades i could do to my 1.6 pinto to give it a bit more oomph!
A bit more 00mph? Just keep it in neutral with the handbrake on.
:D
Jordan
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Yamaha R100 are pupoular, I have 1200 Bandit Mikunis on mine. 36 mm should be enough. A ready-built set with manifold is by far the easiest if you can find one on Ebay.