Salvage Hunters Classic Cars

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Salvage Hunters Classic Cars

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I see your points about the Mini reshell, but bear in mind that an excellent condition 1960s Cooper would sell for a lot more than what this one sold for. According to some friends of mine who are heavily into the classic Mini scene, a reshelled car is more acceptable to enthusiasts than, for example, a reshelled Capri would be in the Capri world.
While changing the incorrect shell would have been too expensive to rectify, if it was my car, I would definitely fit the correct Mk1 rear lights

After checking the Hagerty Insurance valuation tool, it would appear that they are asking top money for the 928. It wasn't sold on the programme and there's no mention of it on the dp classics website. I'm just speculating here, but perhaps they had to quietly sell it for less than they would have liked and took a hit on it?

Andrew.
oldfords
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia Dressed as an "s"

Post by oldfords »

I love a car programme.

Miss the old WD with Edd in England not none of the American stuff

My only comment would be that the Mini Bonnet didn't line up....Look at it when they show the drivers side Its about 1/2 inch out and the gap between the grill and bonnet is all over the place.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
sheff wrote: Funny how this effected me as within a few hours of seeing the show I felt the need to buy my next toy, so I did :D
I think a photo could be in order here Neil! :)

Andrew.
Here she is Andrew :)

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

sheff wrote: Here she is Andrew :)

Very nice Neil, it looks to be in great condition.
I'm loving the 2 Tone graphics, did the scooter come supplied with a pork pie hat? :D

Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Very nice Neil, it looks to be in great condition.
I'm loving the 2 Tone graphics, did the scooter come supplied with a pork pie hat? :D

Andrew.
I think it was the 2 tone graphics that clinched the deal for me Andrew..... But I won't be going down the old Mod route. The plan is to give this a very light tidy up, use it for a bit in the summer if the insurance is cheap, then shift it on. The Golf will also be going in the summer, that way I get to use the Capri more often :D

Neil
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

sheff wrote: The Golf will also be going in the summer

Neil
Well read backwards it does say Flog :D
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Sorry if this has been posted already.... But just seen advertised they are doing a Capri on Goblin works garage this week!
andyd

Post by andyd »

sheff wrote:Sorry if this has been posted already.... But just seen advertised they are doing a Capri on Goblin works garage this week!
:wave: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51524
andyd

Post by andyd »

Watched last night and it appears Drew (Mr original in the first episode) has done a complete U Turn, making bonnet, bumper and wheel changes to a Mk2 Jag :o

Then the buyer didn't even look around or drive the car before offering the full asking price :headscratch:
I wonder if the car was actually built for that chap with his wish list/wants, having looked at and drove in in advance of the programme......
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Watched last night and it appears Drew (Mr original in the first episode) has done a complete U Turn, making bonnet, bumper and wheel changes to a Mk2 Jag :o
I can't help thinking that the Jaguar would have been better left standard. I can see why people would make the modifications if they intended selling the car as a Coombs Jaguar replica. However, this was not even mentioned by Drew himself, the buyer pointed out that the bonnet louvres were reminiscent of a Coombs. The bonnet straps definitely looked out of place, in my opinion.

Andrew.
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

I like car programs but now starting to get a little fed up with them all.

For me mike and Ed did the better shows with WD.
A better show would be with Ed and fuzz from SOS doing their own thing!

Getting back to this Salvage Hunters thing, can’t see this lasting....experts with an eye for detail and two decades experience....

The Golf GTI didn’t need a retrim, just bolster sections to match as one panel looked completely different from the rest....and vw heritage sell that black trim!
The rear spoiler wasn’t original, neither were the wheels, then they didn’t put the black decal that surrounds the rear screen....

The mk2 Jag would have been better back to standard and agree the bonnet straps weren’t necessary

None of the cars they’ve done were worthy of their proud cheesey grins at the end and would love it if these genuine buyers, were genuine buyers and picked at these cars (like they do) not agree on a price and walk away!!
andyd

Post by andyd »

Pas28i wrote:I like car programs but now starting to get a little fed up with them all.

Getting back to this Salvage Hunters thing, can’t see this lasting....experts with an eye for detail and two decades experience....

The Golf GTI didn’t need a retrim, just bolster sections to match as one panel looked completely different from the rest....and vw heritage sell that black trim!
The rear spoiler wasn’t original, neither were the wheels, then they didn’t put the black decal that surrounds the rear screen....

The mk2 Jag would have been better back to standard and agree the bonnet straps weren’t necessary

None of the cars they’ve done were worthy of their proud cheesey grins at the end and would love it if these genuine buyers, were genuine buyers and picked at these cars (like they do) not agree on a price and walk away!!
Pretty much sums it up.....
I used to like A car is born and reborn back in the early 2000's with Mark Evans, a proper in depth look into the builds :)
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Pas28i wrote:I like car programs but now starting to get a little fed up with them all.

Yep Ed and Mike back in the UK. I have noticed even with Ant Anstead doing it, the US overtones are creeping in to thier conversations, clearly there to sell to Americans.

Just as Andy said I used to like Mark Evans in the Is Born series, watched them all, the bikes the aircraft and the cars. He said he hasn't ruled out doing more but has no plans to do so at the minute. I like Shed and Buried as well. Salvage Hunters is like a poor man's WD, Paul Cowland is alright but he is continually talked down to by Drew Prick-Hard who needs a damn good right hook! Arrogant tw*t. Please Paul snack that idiot good and hard. That would get done viewings.
andyd

Post by andyd »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote: Salvage Hunters is like a poor man's WD, Paul Cowland is alright but he is continually talked down to by Drew Prick-Hard who needs a damn good right hook! Arrogant tw*t. Please Paul snack that idiot good and hard. That would get done viewings.
Liking it Mark :drama: :D
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

The Mark Evans shows were far and away better than the current crop of utter shite that's being inflicted on us. I don't know who does the research for these shows but they certainly don't involve any sort of car enthusiasts.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprigear wrote:The Mark Evans shows were far and away better than the current crop of utter shite that's being inflicted on us. I don't know who does the research for these shows but they certainly don't involve any sort of car enthusiasts.
It seems most car shows are now aimed at an audience that probably don't even watch it :headscratch:

WD is on today, including a couple of earlier episodes, the Mercedes Cosworth and Lancia Delta Integrale which are much more watchable than the last few series imo. Most of the cars are still ok inc some of the US episodes, but to me MB has got more annoying as the shows have gone along.....
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Watched last night and it appears Drew (Mr original in the first episode) has done a complete U Turn, making bonnet, bumper and wheel changes to a Mk2 Jag :o
I can't help thinking that the Jaguar would have been better left standard. I can see why people would make the modifications if they intended selling the car as a Coombs Jaguar replica. However, this was not even mentioned by Drew himself, the buyer pointed out that the bonnet louvres were reminiscent of a Coombs. The bonnet straps definitely looked out of place, in my opinion.

Andrew.
I agree Andrew they should have left it standard. Don't worry too much about the bonnet straps though, they must have realised it was a bad move because they weren't even attached to the car. Guess they will end up on one of Drew's antiques in the future.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

sheff wrote: Don't worry too much about the bonnet straps though, they must have realised it was a bad move because they weren't even attached to the car. Guess they will end up on one of Drew's antiques in the future.
I noticed that the part of the strap that attached to the body didn't appear to have any screws in. I did wonder if it was just a quick mock-up to make the car look ready for the sale.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Just checked and this programme has now ended after 3 episodes.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Just checked and this programme has now ended after 3 episodes.
Just as it was getting into it's stride!
The Wednesday 9PM slot is now filled with "Slider: Ice Warrior Challenge" instead. :roll:

Interestingly, if you look at the Radio Times online site, they say that the first episode is 1 of 3. It looks like that the series wasn't canned early, simply that there are only three episodes in the first series. Perhaps the TV company wanted a short run of programmes to see what sort of audience it got before they commissioned some more episodes.

Andrew.