2.8 a reg in Brookland colours

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
03kkeane
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0s

2.8 a reg in Brookland colours

Post by 03kkeane »

Hi I've seen a 2.8 a reg in Brookland colours. Was this a actual colour on a normal 2.8 or was it only the Brookland s the colour was for
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: 2.8 a reg in Brookland colours

Post by andyd »

Only Brooklands.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I'd imagine that the current or previous owners just liked the colour of the brooklands green and therefore had the car re-sprayed in that colour, it wasn't offered on capris before the Brooklands
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
03kkeane
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0s

Post by 03kkeane »

Thanks for the help
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

It sounds like personal choice on a car that needed some work and the PO wasn't fond of the original colour. :whistle:

Either that or he was waiting for the right V5 to come up on Ebay
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Perhaps this car was painted to be a fake Brooklands.hardly worth doing these days with the rising prices of the standard 2.8.

Andrew.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

The special 'end-of-run' model was named the 280S (previous name was Capri 500) and had the unique original colour 'Brooklands Green' made up just for that model. Because of this these last cars got the nickname 'Brooklands.' They also came to be known as Cabbages because the later ones were reputed to have been given thinner coats of paint due to the factory running short of Brooklands Green - they build 1038 rather than the planned 500, hence them going rusty sooner than usual.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

They're green 2.8's with fancy leather seats. That's all really. Rarish because most rusted away. Always park together at shows, their area is known as the cabbage patch amongst us oldies. Horrible colour green and, imho, alot of fuss about nothing.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Some say the nicest 280s are actually the very rare white ones. Always confuses poor Joe Public who think they must be looking at a 2.8i Special with black seats and the wrong stickers. - the fact is they are completely right of course.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

340truck wrote:They're green 2.8's with fancy leather seats. That's all really. Rarish because most rusted away. Always park together at shows, their area is known as the cabbage patch amongst us oldies. Horrible colour green and, imho, alot of fuss about nothing.
And handle like crap because Ford stuck big wheels on with lower profile tyres but did nothing to the suspension.
The car was set up to use the bigger sidewall of the 205/60x13s

Maybe a dentist slipped them a few quid to keep his filling replacements rolling in ;)
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

My experience with wheel sizes bears that out too.
Though the 15" after market wheels I used to have looked great and I chiefly went back to 13" pepperpots to restore a bit of originality it has to be said the 205/60x13s have improved the ride. Just as nimble but not as choppy.
QuadCamCapri
Car(s): Capri 'Classic Thundersaloon'
5.0 32V Cobra V8 and E34 Touring

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Not_Anumber wrote:Some say the nicest 280s are actually the very rare white ones. Always confuses poor Joe Public who think they must be looking at a 2.8i Special with black seats and the wrong stickers. - the fact is they are completely right of course.
Ah yes, I had one of the also very rare black ones :D .....

On the subject of lookalikes, I'm positive an original 280 never raced (can't speak for the banger boys on the short oval though), but a lookalike did in the early 90's by Aaron Tucker of HT Racing in the 'Vecta Fast Ford Challenge' running their Pinto's, first a 1.6 in the smaller class which I remember revved to over 9k, then a 2.0....the colour is Brooklands Green.....

Also a black 2.8i was entered as a 280 in the Prod. Saloons in 1987 so it could run the 15" wheels, but by then of course it was totally outclassed by the Cosworth's, have a pic. but can't find it.
My in-car race video Cadwell Park 1995 Capri V6 vs 2x V8's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSBcLhI ... gvD3_PeHIA
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

QuadCamCapri wrote:Ah yes, I had one of the also very rare black ones :D .....
A genuine 280 that has been painted black:

ImageBlack Turbo 2 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Andrew.
QuadCamCapri

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Ah, now that is very nice 8-)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

On the subject of non genuine cars, there is a 2.0 Laser Brookalike on Ebay at the moment.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-capri-i ... Ciid%253A1

Andrew.
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

QuadCamCapri wrote:
Not_Anumber wrote:Some say the nicest 280s are actually the very rare white ones. Always confuses poor Joe Public who think they must be looking at a 2.8i Special with black seats and the wrong stickers. - the fact is they are completely right of course.
Ah yes, I had one of the also very rare black ones :D .....

On the subject of lookalikes, I'm positive an original 280 never raced (can't speak for the banger boys on the short oval though), but a lookalike did in the early 90's by Aaron Tucker of HT Racing in the 'Vecta Fast Ford Challenge' running their Pinto's, first a 1.6 in the smaller class which I remember revved to over 9k, then a 2.0....the colour is Brooklands Green.....

Also a black 2.8i was entered as a 280 in the Prod. Saloons in 1987 so it could run the 15" wheels, but by then of course it was totally outclassed by the Cosworth's, have a pic. but can't find it.
Not 100% sure but I think that the brookland green racing capri was my old 2.0 ghia, I had it sprayed Brooklands green and had the 280 stripes made up as capri 20 as it was a 2.0 not 2.8, I sold it to mark if I rember right he came from maidenhead and then it was sold on to I think capri sport that used it as a race car, well that is what I was told.
mike
QuadCamCapri

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Could well be Mike, although I never saw it at a track before HT Racing owned it. That pic was either 1990 or 91 then in 92 it looked like this.....