Is it possible to upgrade the in car heating fan?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Is it possible to upgrade the in car heating fan?

Post by Not_Anumber »

Its likely you are right there Bug. No point chancing it if the motor is starting to seize.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

It just died. Smelt something burning, but living where i do you can never know if its outside or not. Unfortunately it wasnt, as i felt the air vents and nothing was coming through despite the fan being on "full blast", i turned it off right away, left it for a couple of minutes and tried again just incase it was a fluke, but there was nothing.
Yet another reason to be happy to be alive... :roll:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

When I changed mine I bought a complete box, ready to fit, from Tickover. (£70 I think it was). Easier than getting a motor and opening the box to swap it over. Might be a better option for you, as I know you drive the car a lot and you may want the quickest option, took a few hours to fit, at a leisurely happy pace though.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Spotted this you tube on how to change the motor ,

https://youtu.be/JKxB5YuBYCY

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/JKxB5YuBYCY [/YouTube]
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

pbar wrote:When I changed mine I bought a complete box, ready to fit, from Tickover. (£70 I think it was). Easier than getting a motor and opening the box to swap it over. Might be a better option for you, as I know you drive the car a lot and you may want the quickest option, took a few hours to fit, at a leisurely happy pace though.
That seems really cheap, as CCI want £70 just for the motor with shipping on top of that, and another £70 for the resistor. Tickover are away on holiday at the moment so i cant contact them, but their site has the motors up for £40, but out of stock of course.
I doubt i'll see much change from £150 the way this is going so far. :banghead:
Jasonmarie wrote:Spotted this you tube on how to change the motor ,

https://youtu.be/JKxB5YuBYCY

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/JKxB5YuBYCY [/YouTube]
Thanks for that. Thankfully ive done this once before, as i had to remove the heater box and all the controls and split the box open as one of the flaps was rattling inside and was driving me crazy so i know exactly what i need to do, thats why i dont want to do it because i know from first hand experiance its a pain in the chuff! lol
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Capri gear to the rescue once again! He has hooked me up with a brand new motor and resistor, hopefully by the time this is over I'll have a heater that can actually defrost the windows properly and the luxury of TWO speeds ;)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Glad all sorted and good old Martin to the rescue again , your get it fixed and we will have a bloody heat wave afterwards .
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Glad all sorted and good old Martin to the rescue again , your get it fixed and we will have a bloody heat wave afterwards .
:lol: I very much doubt that but it would be nice! Still, it'll be ready for when it gets cold again, probably during the summer knowing our weather ;)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Gutted the interior of my car to get the heater box out. That's lower dash, glove box, steering column loosened (as I can't get the lower dash section with the hazard switch on it if I don't), radio out, facia off and entire center console out. ( I swear I can probably take one of these dashboards apart with my eyes closed at this point)
Disconnected the water pipes from the heater matrix and the heater box just flopped out easily.
Once I separated the two halves of the heater box I was finally able to remove the old fan motor, and it's no wonder it burned out as it was completely seized and barely turned, no wonder it felt like an asthmatic hamster was blowing on you.
Fitted the new motor onto the fan (which honestly was the hardest part physically as it was stuck on the old motor, that was one hell of a friction fit!), fitted the new resistor and fan back into the heater box and made sure the flaps still worked and didn't rattle (most important part lol) and everything's ready to go back in the car. I shall be doing that tomorrow though as I ran out of daylight lol.
So here's hoping everything works as it should once I get everything back in the car.
Is it sad that I'm really excited to see how powerful the new fan will be on TWO different speeds?!? :shock: :applaud:
Wish me luck!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

It will feel like you've got Aircon plus a blast furnace in comparison to what you had!

Give your heater matrix a good back flushing whilst it's out.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Arya2.0S wrote: Is it sad that I'm really excited to see how powerful the new fan will be on TWO different speeds?!? :shock: :applaud:
Wish me luck!
No! After all the effort it takes to change that motor. I was also very excited to see the difference when I changed mine and I wasn't disappointed :D
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

All done! Its bloody AMAZING! Never thought i'd be at the point in my life where i'd be getting excited about an in-car heater fan but there you go.
Its such an upgrade too! The slowest speed is 2x faster than the fastest speed from the old motor, and the fast speed might as well be a hurricane! :lol: (slight exaggeration but its still awesome!)
I ran the car up to temp to make sure there was no air locks and the heating was working and once the engine warmed up the heat was wonderful. The winter just got a little bit easier to deal with now.
Big thanks again to Martin for his help and supplying the parts.
:D :D :D :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s great news , it’s good at clearing that misty windscreen now in seconds . :beer: