Really?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Shederic
Car(s): Rescued a 2.8i shell for my first project

Really?

Post by Shederic »

Found the following on eBay. Now I love a challenge, even though I don't know a lot about cars! I'm sure this will be a great project for someone, especially since a lot of the car is still there and I wouldn't criticise the buyer or the car. I think having a passion and belief in your project is a positive thing, but blatant BS from a seller is not on. This ebay add caught my attention for the wrong reasons, just wondered if it was just me:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1975-FORD-CA ... 1#viTabs_0

Sellers comment "NEEDS WELDING BUT I DONT THINK IT WILL TAKE LONG TO GET BACK ON THE ROAD ,WHEN LAST ON ROAD IT WAS CLOCKED AT 156 MPH" made me ask; REALY?!

1) Quick MOT check shows car ran out of Tax 1996
2) if its on 13 inch rims, I would estimate that's around 9000 rpm - looked like a Essex engine to me - not a Vtec 'bro
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Really?

Post by D366Y »

I think 156MPH is a little ambitious... though the ad does say "THE ORIGINAL OWNER SAID A LOT OF WORK HAD BEEN DONE TO THE ENGINE AND WHEN IT WAS LAST ON THE ROAD IT WAS CLOCKED AT 156 MPH ,I HAVE NO REASON TO NOT BELIEVE HIM"

So the previous owner gave this guy a load of BS if that's the same set up...an auto 3.0 Essex with what looks like a single twin choke carb would probably struggle, depends on how much work the engine has had though??
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Gotta hope its got some WRC brakes to stop the bloody thing :xd: :xd: :xd:
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Be a good car to put back right, if it can be put back right. Make no mistake this will be an expensive rebuild for someone to take on. At least 10-15k I would think which is maybe why this owner hasn't taken it any further. I imagine getting the right panels and interior will cost a few quid but it's the only way to add value otherwise buy a roadworthy bastardised capri because this one has nothing going for it. 156mph my arse, maybe in its day 115.6mph, decimal points are funny thing that people can get wrong especially when placing an advert or placing a reserve price.... :nopity:

Brave person to take it on but at least with that spoiler you will have somewhere to put your cup of tea whilst you do it.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Probably did 156 kilometers per hour in it's day. (97mph)

To my eyes it looks like the rear would be more problematic to put right than the front.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:Probably did 156 kilometers per hour in it's day. (97mph)

To my eyes it looks like the rear would be more problematic to put right than the front.
Fancy another project Paul?? :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote: decimal points are funny thing that people can get wrong especially when placing an advert
:agree:
Maybe because of the seized caliper it was dragged out of the garage at 1.56 MPH :)

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I've noticed a few greedy gits on :ebay: recently.
One listing a car (not Capri) at £18k then after a week putting the same car on bids and it makes just under £14k, then it appears again bids starting at £15k......Currently no bids!
IMO the buyer sets what a car is worth, then the same models in similar condition/mileage will then follow similar prices, it's no good trying to convince yourself or others it's worth more :doh:

I've seen dealers knocking £3k off the same cars as they haven't sold in months.....Need more convincing!!
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I would really like someone to sit me down and explain to me just how these sacks of shite can be turned into even reasonable standard cars without having a huge amount of both time and money thrown at them.
I don't know what most of you are looking at with this particular car and many others in a similar state but all I see is a bloody huge money pit.
Even if the car is done as a hobby where your hours are not charged out there is still a massive outlay to be made in order to get cars like this into anything close to being decent.
Also, when a car has been "personalised" to this degree just returning it to original spec will be an added expense - if the original parts are even available.
I have recently located a genuine MK2 front valance and a pair of genuine wings for one of the MK2's that I 'm currently restoring and the cost for these alone was £1500 and took months to find.
This car and others in a similar condition would be exactly right for spares cars but not at the inflated prices that people viewing them through rose tinted glasses push them up to.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I think that cars like these are the sort of thing that are so far gone it's too hard to justify trying to put them back to a standard spec because they need so much work, but would better suit someone doing something crazy custom like a track car, zakspeed replica, other sort of crazy body kit etc. because those sort of custom cars need so much work anyway it makes some sort of sense to try it...

that's my two pennies anyways!
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Searching around for bits n bobs as you do, I see that the pair of fishnet headrests are still for sale at £1650 :xd: :xd: :xd:

Cant think why :deadhorse:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Lord Flasheart wrote:Searching around for bits n bobs as you do, I see that the pair of fishnet headrests are still for sale at £1650 :xd: :xd: :xd:

Cant think why :deadhorse:
Knock a zero off and I might consider it! :lol:
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote: decimal points are funny thing that people can get wrong especially when placing an advert
:agree:
Maybe because of the seized caliper it was dragged out of the garage at 1.56 MPH :)

Andrew.
Ha ha ha. Exactly - like it. :cheers:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I'm intrigued how you 'clock' a car at 156 when the (very optimistic) speedo only goes up to 140.
Maybe it went round twice.

A human being in free-fall only reaches 128 mph due to the drag forces.
So I don't reckon that particular car would reach 156mph if you pushed it out the back of a C130 Hercules

To be honest, I'd probably clock 156 mph heading away from that crock'o'shite as fast as possible
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Just read your great bit on a body free falling at 128mph would you mind that I was thinking of getting my mother in law a skydiving trip and wonder if we just push her out if I could get her to beat the 128mph as she is a big girl .

Thoughts ladies and gents .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Thoughts ladies and gents .
I think you'll be in trouble if she ever reads your post! :)

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

We have battled for over 30 years now and she knows what I am like I even rung her for a month asking if she has ever had PPI just to here her phone my wife to ask what can be done . O yes always did it when EastEnders was on , she said to my wife it’s like they Know I am at home watching my TV . I did own up in the end .

My dad always said look at the mother that’s how your wife will end up.
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Jasonmarie wrote:Just read your great bit on a body free falling at 128mph would you mind that I was thinking of getting my mother in law a skydiving trip and wonder if we just push her out if I could get her to beat the 128mph as she is a big girl .

Thoughts ladies and gents .

Well, if you tell her that even though she's a 'big girl' her width will cause more drag to balance out the equation, I doubt she'll be able to find a compliment in there anywhere.

Takes me back to my RAF apprenticeship days, learning about aerodynamics...... I still find it hard to understand that if you drop a piece of gravel and a large boulder from the same height, they will hit the ground together.
So maybe you can console your M-in L by pointing out that if she drops her purse as she jumps, it will land with her :D
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote:I'm intrigued how you 'clock' a car at 156 when the (very optimistic) speedo only goes up to 140.
Maybe it went round twice.

A human being in free-fall only reaches 128 mph due to the drag forces.
So I don't reckon that particular car would reach 156mph if you pushed it out the back of a C130 Hercules

To be honest, I'd probably clock 156 mph heading away from that crock'o'shite as fast as possible
These quotes reveal, in a tiny sample, why Martin is amazing.

My favourite bits from the seller:

"I CANT SHOW YOU IT RUNNING ( UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME TIME)"

"THE EXHAUSTS DO NEED TO BE REPLACED AS THE REAR BOX BLEW WHEN STARTED ."

"IS NOT A BASKET CASE AND DOES NOT REQUIRE WELDING ALL OVER"

"AS FAR AS I CAN SEE ITS ALL JUST SURFACE RUST"

",THE INTERIOR ,ALTHOUGH IT IS IN QUITE GOOD CONDITION,NO RIPS ETC ,ALTHOUGH AGAIN BECAUSE OF THE TIME SINCE IT WAS LAST ON THE ROAD IT REALLY DOES NEED A GOOD CLEAN."

And my fave:

"I AM SURE THERE ARE LOADS OF DETAILS I HAVE LEFT OUT BUT I WILL ADD THEM AS I GO ALONG WITH MORE PICTURES. "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Bug wrote:
Takes me back to my RAF apprenticeship days
TYPICAL!!!
Usually around midday I am in front the front room having a well earned cuppa, but yesterday thanks to an unexpected phone call I was a little behind, and doing something else.
The Mrs suddenly shouts Quick, Quick Plane, so I got to the front door and heard it, but thanks to our neighbours 60 ft Conifer trees I couldn't see a thing :banghead: Then another came over missed that too :banghead: :banghead:

Pi**ed off, I went back in and she said did you see them they had swept back wings and one banked over and I saw the top of it.
2 Tornados about 200 yards away and probably the minimum height over countryside/villages is it 300/400 ft?

Always liked that plane, and often see one in the distance along with other military aircraft, but that's the second time I've missed them that close :crying: