Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:After games or PE we were all compelled to take a shower in a minging shower block with the pervy teacher watching us. In Rugby one of the teachers would join in the scrum and would conveniently accidently touch student's balls whilst in there. Times were different then.
I can see why when I was there no-one ever showered after Rugby anymore!!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:When I look at these I have mixed feelings of excitement (P.E. was one of those easy lessons), dread (at the thought of being asked to do something you can't!) and worry (hoping I haven't forgotten my kit and have to do it in my underwear. They made you do that back then)

Our teacher used to set up an 'assault course' using the apparatus, some of it really high, bet that wouldn't be allowed now.

And why did they always turn those benches upside down and make you walk/balance on them.

Absolutely hated PE :!: Was never good at it especially in primary school sports day.

And it seems all PE Teachers were sadistic b******s :poke:

Later on about 15 years old, I would write my own sick notes and forge the old mans signature :lol:

The Wooden Horse was on T/V last week :D
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:
My school also made you do PE in underpants if you "forgot" your PE kit and you sometimes would get wacked with a plimsoll for not bringing it.

In Rugby one of the teachers would join in the scrum and would conveniently accidently touch student's balls whilst in there. Times were different then.
Aahhh, good times!
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
Later on about 15 years old, I would write my own sick notes and forge the old mans signature :lol:
Reminds me of the scene in Please Sir, where one of the kids did something similar to go on the school trip.

I remember a kid in our class doing his own absent note, it was scrawled on a messy bit of paper and fooled no one!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
Reminds me of the scene in Please Sir, where one of the kids did something similar to go on the school trip.

I remember a kid in our class doing his own absent note, it was scrawled on a messy bit of paper and fooled no one!
Mine always worked :D
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:

Mine always worked :D
Mine too :xd: bloody hated PE
andyd

Post by andyd »

Who else had one of these for school? https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c3/c8/50 ... 7362fd.jpg
And wrote your favorite bands on them :D
pbar

Post by pbar »

Our school bags were more like this Andy -

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Our school bags were more like this Andy -

You could get quite a lot in those :)
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:Our school bags were more like this Andy -

You could get quite a lot in those :)
Mine was exactly like that except it was grey.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:
Mine was exactly like that except it was grey.
Was there a trend of kicking them with a side swipe to 'christen' them with a black smear, as there was in our school. Used to drive me mad that.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Whilst in a local shopping centre recently, I noticed that the staff of the Argos closed the shop completely with a handwritten notice on the door. The reason? Apparently their in store network/pay system/computer had gone down and they wouldn't or couldn't (probably didn't know how to) even allow people to pop in a pay cash for something.

Are these systems progress on what we used to have below? Didn't have this problem then! There is a lot lot be said for the old analogue ways. My local chippie still has one of these :)

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

You can’t beat the old stuff also the people could work out your change then .

So is cod & chips still at 70s prices as I local chip shop charge £5 for small cod

I love seeing all these old bits as the memories come flooding back :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

That's the problem with modern systems, everything goes down at the same time causing chaos....Give me old technology anytime!

I remember the 1/2p :)
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Can you imagine the chaos if shop assistants etc had to work out how much change you're due without the till actually telling them? Modern cash registers almost wipe their arse for them.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

andyd wrote:That's the problem with modern systems, everything goes down at the same time causing chaos....Give me old technology anytime!

I remember the 1/2p :)
I remember the thruppeny bit and the tanner (6d)!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Did somebody mention the war if so I think you got away with it ...........
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:
So is cod & chips still at 70s prices
Unfortunately not! It is surprising how quick the old till is. The amount of time I've been in a shop with an all singing modern system and the person is trying to fathom this or find the touch screen for that. And it's all chaos if they make an error and they need to swap an item or give you some money back, it involves a lot of head scratching, two managers and far too much time.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote:Can you imagine the chaos if shop assistants etc had to work out how much change you're due without the till actually telling them?
I've found myself telling the operator how much something is and how much change I need back far to often than I should be doing! Do they still teach basic maths in schools.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Pretty sure stuff was equally shit back then, you're all just looking through rose tinted specs. There was still crime, poverty etc. People have always been people, so there were just as many selfish/sadistic/stupid people back then as there were today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_retrospection
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."