Is it possible to upgrade the in car heating fan?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Is it possible to upgrade the in car heating fan?

Post by Arya2.0S »

The fan in my car is about as useful as a hamster with asthma blowing on you. The heating is fine, it's just the method of blowing said heat into the cabin that's useless. Obviously this doesn't make for the most ideal situation during the freezing winter, especially when the screen is fogged up.
Is there a way to upgrade the existing fan on the airbox without tons of complicated modifications? Is there something more powerful/efficient that I can just plop into where the old fan is and just wire it up to the same switch etc?
I hope to do this next summer as it's too cold and dark all the time to do something like this on the driveway, so no rush. I've suffered this useless thing for 4 years another few months won't make much difference lol.
Thank you.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Is it possible to upgrade the in car heating fan?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Before you go messing about with stuff, have you tried flushing the heater matrix through with clean water?

Andrew.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

If the fan is working at full speed it will actually start to clear the screen even before the water starts to warm up.
In fact, on full blast, if you direct the flow to the footwell it very soon gets uncomfortable on your left ankle.
If your issue is the temperature then yes, you need to look at flushing the cooling system and making sure it is working efficiently.
If your issue is the air volume being moved through the system, then; is your fan working at full speed?; are the flaps adjusted to direct the airflow properly?; is the fan inlet blocked with debris, preventing enough air being passed through?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I went out in mine the other day and it was lovely and warm really quick it warmed up faster then my 3 year old bus ...
have a look at the water hoses
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Re-reading the original post, it does sound as though you are suggesting that the temerature of the heater is adequate but the fan blows insufficient air. As Bug pointed out, there are a few checks you can do to make sure the system is working properly.

I seem to remember that a forum member, Ghia 15, successfully made some improvements to his heater fan.
viewtopic.php?t=44608
Although thanks to Photobucket you'll have to pm him to find out what they were.....

Andrew..
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Bug wrote:If the fan is working at full speed it will actually start to clear the screen even before the water starts to warm up.
In fact, on full blast, if you direct the flow to the footwell it very soon gets uncomfortable on your left ankle.
If your issue is the temperature then yes, you need to look at flushing the cooling system and making sure it is working efficiently.
If your issue is the air volume being moved through the system, then; is your fan working at full speed?; are the flaps adjusted to direct the airflow properly?; is the fan inlet blocked with debris, preventing enough air being passed through?
Hi, thanks for the info. The temperature is fine it's just the air flow. You can barely feel it through the vents up top, and in the footwell it's only slightly better, it's useless for clearing the screen I have to use a towel, and today the screen was frozen on the INSIDE so had to scrape it with an ice scraper like on the outside.
The air box and pipes that connects everything has been out of the car on multiple occasions for different non related issues and I've never seen a blockage, and everything was put back properly and everything works as it should at the controls.
What else could be blocked? Where is this "inlet" you speak of? I only have one speed on the fan as the old resistor is broken like most are so I only have the highest speed so how could I tell if it's running as fast as it should be?
Thanks.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Just out of interest when you open the side round ones that blow cold air they should move your hair really easy and if you close them up it helps build the pressure up for clearing the window . That’s with the fan on full .
I never had a problem with clearing the windscreen so I wonder how hard your fan is working . . .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Bug

Post by Bug »

On high speed, anything from dead spiders to old leaves will be ejected out of the side vents at quite a rate.
Sounds like you have a slow motor or maybe a high resistance somewhere so it's not being driven at full speed.
Remember the switch actually completes the earth circuit, the power is constantly supplied to the motor.
I would suggest temporarily rigging a long wire from the battery to the motor, and a separate earth wire to a known good grounding point, then see how fast the motor runs.
Bear in mind that motors seizing is the biggest issue with these heaters. Maybe yours is on its way out?
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Yeah theres not much air coming out of the side vents either. I mean its there, but nothing to the description offered on here. You get more air flow out of them when the car is moving rather than by the fan itself. Must just be a weak fan, can these be replaced or upgraded for something stronger?
Bug

Post by Bug »

You need a new motor then by the sound of it.
Try Caprigear first.
Then there's the joy of removing the heater box, splitting it, swapping the motor and putting it all back together.
I used to get that done in a couple of hours, but had loads of practice.
Budget a day and take your time.
Tip for splitting the box; heat the plastic lugs with a hairdryer to make them less prone to snapping
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Bug wrote:You need a new motor then by the sound of it.
Try Caprigear first.
Then there's the joy of removing the heater box, splitting it, swapping the motor and putting it all back together.
I used to get that done in a couple of hours, but had loads of practice.
Budget a day and take your time.
Tip for splitting the box; heat the plastic lugs with a hairdryer to make them less prone to snapping
Hehe, yeah I know what you mean about the heater box. I've had it out a couple of times in the past due to an unrelated issue, I think something went wrong with the cables at one point, and one of the flaps was rattling as I went over bumps and was driving me crazy so I'm pretty well versed in the joys of working on heater boxes ;) There's worse jobs, at least you get to sit inside the car instead of laying on the wet ground under it in all the dirt lol.
Thanks.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

So.... this is strange....

Today I went out to run some errands, and I decided to turn the fan on for what little air it blows out to help warm up the inside, and for some strange reason I can't possibly begin to understand the fan is working better than it has in years.
I can actually feel the air blowing through at quite a rate at both the top and bottom vents, and the side cold air vents are much better too, and I can actually hear the fan whereas before I could barely tell it was on.
I have done feck all to it, other than talk about it on here...
This car fixes itself, first the boot started shutting properly on its own and now this.
Wtf?
If the fan keeps this up I'll have no reason to mess with it as this is more than acceptable, just boggles my mind why it's suddenly working better than it ever has. :shock:
Still... I won't complain, bit of luck for once? If it goes shite again perhaps it's just a dodgy connection somewhere?
The joys of classic motoring :lol:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

:xd: If I were you , my next post would be " My Capri does not make 400bhp ( at the wheels ).......help ", and then see what happens next time you take it out :burnout:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Mc Tool wrote::xd: If I were you , my next post would be " My Capri does not make 400bhp ( at the wheels ).......help ", and then see what happens next time you take it out :burnout:
Its very tempting.

I did some tests earlier, and the fan did go back to being as useful as a budgie fart, but then i turned it off and then on again and it went back to being stronger again. I'm thinking maybe the bearings in the fan (im assuming theres bearings i dont know for certain how these things work so just a guess) were getting a bit ceased up and somehow they've loosened up?

Either that or the car has a mind of its own.

So yeah...urh....it doesnt make 400 bhp at the wheels, or has a turbo and an LSD and it also doesnt have 15 inch deep dish alloys with uprated brakes and coil overs. :lol: :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:then i turned it off and then on again and it went back to being stronger again. I'm thinking maybe the bearings in the fan (im assuming theres bearings i dont know for certain how these things work so just a guess) were getting a bit ceased up and somehow they've loosened up?
Hi,
Might it be worth lubricating the bearings? There was a guide on Nige's workshop page on how to do this without removing the heater motor.
Note: The guide was on a sticky, but I can't seem to find it now.

Andrew.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Pop the glove box out for access, then reach up and wiggle the electrical contacts to see if anything changes.
May just be dodgy connection
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:then i turned it off and then on again and it went back to being stronger again. I'm thinking maybe the bearings in the fan (im assuming theres bearings i dont know for certain how these things work so just a guess) were getting a bit ceased up and somehow they've loosened up?
Hi,
Might it be worth lubricating the bearings? There was a guide on Nige's workshop page on how to do this without removing the heater motor.
Note: The guide was on a sticky, but I can't seem to find it now.

Andrew.
I've read somewhere that you can get to it with WD40 with a long tube on it through the screw hole where the engine earth goes to the plenum. Probably have to use a thin mirror on a stick down through the vents on the scuttle to see what you are spraying. May be able to get up through the drain rubber at the bottom of the plenum too.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:
I've read somewhere that you can get to it with WD40 with a long tube on it
Thread here on how to lubricate whilst in place -

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44336&p=285016&hil ... on#p285016
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

If it doesn't prove to be a loose connection Im wondering if it could be worn brushes in the motor. Can you see if there is a part number on the motor as brushes should be available for it ?
Bug

Post by Bug »

Not_Anumber wrote:If it doesn't prove to be a loose connection Im wondering if it could be worn brushes in the motor. Can you see if there is a part number on the motor as brushes should be available for it ?
Still think it's slowly seizing.
And when it does, the brushes and their plastic carrier melt v quickly.
If you see any sign of smoke turn the fan off immediately........ if not sooner