How would we manage....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

How would we manage....

Post by andyd »

Without the Met Office stating this;

"South West England
Forecast Summary
Yellow warning of ice

1800 on Wed 29 November
To:
1000 on Thu 30 November

Updated 2 hours ago

Icy patches are likely to develop on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths or where showers cause wash off on treated roads".

No need for common sense nowadays :banghead:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: How would we manage....

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Time to bring out that old favourite "don't go out unless you have to"... :roll:

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Surprise, Surprise! After a bit of sleet and a light dusting of snow locally, the papers already reporting a string of minor accidents :nopity:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: the papers already reporting a string of minor accidents
:roll: I'm not surprised though. Drivers don't even seem to slow down in foggy conditions these days. In fact, some don't bother to even switch their lights on.

Andrew.
Bracey
Car(s): 2.8 injection

Post by Bracey »

I saw a learner under instruction driving without lights the other week :doh: Unforgivable really.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Bracey wrote:I saw a learner under instruction driving without lights the other week :doh: Unforgivable really.
:agree:
I think the current driving test is far too easy.
When I passed in 1984, reversing around a corner, 3 point turn, hill start, emergency stop, and parallel parking which all had to be completed along with normal driving.I know some of those are no longer used that much, but it showed you could control a car. Too many people can't park or reverse now :?
Also motorway and/or dual carriage way should be included in lessons, if not on the test.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

andyd wrote:
Bracey wrote:I saw a learner under instruction driving without lights the other week :doh: Unforgivable really.
When I passed in 1984, reversing around a corner, 3 point turn, hill start, emergency stop, and parallel parking which all had to be completed along with normal driving.I know some of those are no longer used that much, but it showed you could control a car. Too many people can't park or reverse now :?
Also motorway and/or dual carriage way should be included in lessons, if not on the test.

So should basic good manners such as not to queue jump and the occasional raising of the hand to say thanks if someone lets you out of a junction etc.

Good manners seem to be sadly lacking on the roads today especially amongst women in 4X4's and the young in general. If people had better manners then incidences of road rage would be dramatically reduced. Common courtesy costs nothing.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Well... considering the whole country pathetically grinds to a halt whenever there's a very light dusting of snow (like seriously it only needs to be less than that powder you get on a doughnut) due to blatant incompetence from the council to keep the roads iced and the general publics inability to not be stupid I say the warnings are pretty important, even if they should be "common sense". Then again that's exactly the problem with common sense, it's common, so not that much of an improvement IMO.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:
andyd wrote:

So should basic good manners such as not to queue jump and the occasional raising of the hand to say thanks if someone lets you out of a junction etc.

Good manners seem to be sadly lacking on the roads today especially amongst women in 4X4's and the young in general. If people had better manners then incidences of road rage would be dramatically reduced. Common courtesy costs nothing.
:agree: Courtesy costs nothing, but it seems many drivers think we owe them it.

As I see it anyone that can't think to put their lights on in poor visibility or slow down on wet, icy or slippery road conditions deserve all they get.... Unfortunately due to that, it's the innocent that often get involved too.

And for those :wank: that still use Mobile Phones whilst driving or waiting at traffic lights and roundabouts :twak: :twak: :twak:
renaulthater
Car(s): Laser laquer red 1600

Post by renaulthater »

At least the new driving test includes how to use a sat nav!!!! its just that "when you have reached your destination, you will be unable to park up so keep driving round until you can find an easy parking spot"
andyd

Post by andyd »

renaulthater wrote:At least the new driving test includes how to use a sat nav!!!! its just that "when you have reached your destination, you will be unable to park up so keep driving round until you can find an easy parking spot"
:applaud:
Bracey
Car(s): 2.8 injection

Post by Bracey »

Google seem to have started advertising in their maps navigation app. I was out in the Capri yesterday when the Google maps voice started telling me the benefits of colonic irrigation. Has anyone else experienced this? The adverts I mean :whistle:

Also, when I arrived at my destination, a friend's Christmas party, there was some :wank: talking about how brilliant his car was. Apparently because it breaks automatically if the car in front slows down it means he can do paperwork in traffic. I had to walk away...
andyd

Post by andyd »

Bracey wrote:
Also, when I arrived at my destination, a friend's Christmas party, there was some :wank: talking about how brilliant his car was. Apparently because it breaks automatically if the car in front slows down it means he can do paperwork in traffic. I had to walk away...
Definately a :wank: Hope he doesn't rear end me when I'm out :roll:
Just because a car does things for you (?) or the roads have been gritted, doesn't mean you don't need 100% concentration and adjust speed accordingly :doh:

What is the world coming too :?:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

We had some snow this morning and the people in the village are still driving past with snow covered on there cars and no lights on . What are they like .............
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:We had some snow this morning and the people in the village are still driving past with snow covered on there cars and no lights on . What are they like .............
Just saw the news and certain parts of Wales, Midlands and London areas are quite bad today. Can't believe the state of the M25 :shock:

We had gritters out on Friday to help us cope with a hard frost :roll: And now the rain has washed it all away :banghead:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

andyd wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:We had some snow this morning and the people in the village are still driving past with snow covered on there cars and no lights on . What are they like .............
Just saw the news and certain parts of Wales, Midlands and London areas are quite bad today. Can't believe the state of the M25 :shock:

We had gritters out on Friday to help us cope with a hard frost :roll: And now the rain has washed it all away :banghead:
Six inches here and I'm talking about the snow! I ain't going nowhere, not even out to the garage!
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:
andyd wrote:

Six inches here and I'm talking about the snow! I ain't going nowhere, not even out to the garage!
:lol:
I heard High Wycombe and Andrews area of Wales were affected.

:goodluck: all
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: I heard High Wycombe and Andrews area of Wales were affected.

:goodluck: all
You're not kidding! :D
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

It's still coming down. Won't be doing much to this today!

tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Tried to go out this morning - so many people don't seem to know how to drive in the snow. Saw some prat in a focus slipping as he tried to move away from traffic lights, so he put his foot down. It was fun watching him quite literally dig himself into a hole. Lots of buses had apparently been told to go no further, but were parked up blocking the road making conditions worse. Turned back in the end - followed by pressure washer on the underside and arches to remove any grit...