Alloy Wheel sealant.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Alloy Wheel sealant.

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Anybody used Poorboys wheel sealant?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PoorBoys-Wheel ... el+sealant

I'm not sure that it's necessary, so I don't want to waste money... on the other hand it does claim to repel brake dust, and that should make cleaning the wheels quicker and easier.
Is it worth the money, or can somebody recommend a better product?

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: Alloy Wheel sealant.

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Anybody used Poorboys wheel sealant?
Hi Andrew.

Yep I use it mate. Does what it says on the box. Is very good in my opinion as it forms a protective layer between the alloy and brake dust....and gives a very nice shine to my 4 spokes at the same time. Whilst for matt alloys the 'shine' factor may not be so important but the 'protective' element gives you peace of mind. Be careful not to over apply but peppers are easier to apply this stuff unlike 4 spokes with lots of 'hard to get into' corners.

Andrew whether or not you feel its worth buying/using Poorboys is totally up to you. Suppose giving the wheels a quick wash after each time you drive it before putting in garage will help keep your peppers in great condition but for me anything that helps/protects has to be a good thing.

So yep I personally would indeed recommend this stuff more for peace of mind....and the shine :)

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Yep I use it mate. Does what it says on the box......So yep I personally would indeed recommend this stuff more for peace of mind....and the shine :)
Cheers Nick!
If it's good enough for you to use on your car, then it's bound to be good! :D
I'll buy some and give it a pop. How long does it work for before it needs to be re-applied? I read on the internet that the proetective layer only lasts for a month.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:How long does it work for before it needs to be re-applied? I read on the internet that the proetective layer only lasts for a month.
You are asking the wrong person here mate as I do love a good polish :wave: :lol:

Seriously though Andrew I am no expert but I am presuming this is based on using your car very frequently like good old John for example ( :) ). I must admit I certainly dont apply it once a month and it still seems to have a protective layer and shine if I just wipe the alloys clean after a run but please dont take this as gospel.

With all this talk of Poorboys I feel a 'need' to slip away down to my garage and give my alloys another layer of the stuff...and I am supposed to be preparing all the doors/frames in our flat for repainting....methinks I might be in a spot of bother with Mrs F if I choose the alloys instead :lol:

All the best mate

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I used to use Autoglym wheel protector (the aerosol type) and that worked well. It's also easy to apply as you simply spray it on and leave it to cure.

The only reason I don't use it anymore is that it isn't suitable for dark coloured wheels.... I used to just about get away with it on the Rado Grey alloys on my old ST but anything darker than that and it will look cloudy.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Thanks for that, I saw the Autoglym stuff and was tempted. Generally, I really rate Autoglym products and, like the poorboys, this also has good reviews.
I was put off because I reasoned that a paste sealant could be applied more evenly and was more likely to protect longer than a spray.
I've gone for the Poorboys for now, time will tell if it was the right decision....

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Reading and watching so hope we get a review around Easter .

Did love the words “ if it’s good for Nick it’s good for me “

Was it a special offer in nickfords sorry Halfords ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Was it a special offer in nickfords sorry Halfords ?
No, they don't sell it. Nick must have ben unfaithful to his favourite store and bought it elsewhere! :)

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The Poorboys wheel sealant arrived this morning. The first surprise is that it isn't a hard wax at all, it's soft and has the consistency of a mousse. This makes it very easy to apply, and more importantly, easy to buff off once it dries.
I can confirm that it does what it says on the tin, it seals the surfaces of alloy wheels!
A water test on my Toyota alloys show that the sealant makes the water bead nicely.

ImageAlloy Wheel by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr]

Hopefully it will repel some brake dust too, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and time will tell.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I will be putting this on my Xmas list for the wife ... cheers Andrew
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

The beading looks good! It seems to be a very popular product so I expect it will perform well. It’s always good seeing these things being put to the test though.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I had Poorboys recommended to me and now use it on all my cars.
It is excellent stuff. Brake dust still builds up just the same, but it cannot get a grip on the alloy and is easily wiped off.
However, do NOT use any of the wheel cleaners out there as they clean off the sealing paste and leave the wheel open to attack again.

And on a connected theme, have you seen all these new wheel cleaner sprays shouting about how they're 'acid-free'?
That's cos they're a pretty strong alkali instead, which is just as bad!

Seal your wheels with Poorboys paste or something similar, then clean with normal water and car shampoo.
I find a small paintbrush and one of those bug-removal sponges with the net cover on are ideal to clean my wheels
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

mjcapri wrote:The beading looks good! It seems to be a very popular product so I expect it will perform well. It’s always good seeing these things being put to the test though.
Yes like it's provided a good surface coating, I applied two coats as the instructions recommend.
As there is plenty of space between the spokes (only 5 spokes on these wheels), I'm hoping that it's going to be dead easy to keep the wheels in tip top condition by cleaning them off after use, as Nick suggested.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Bug wrote:However, do NOT use any of the wheel cleaners out there as they clean off the sealing paste and leave the wheel open to attack again.
Great suggestion, thank you. I guess those products are aimed more towards the people who clean their wheels once a year and have a build up of brake dust.
Bug wrote: then clean with normal water and car shampoo.
That's what I'll do. Thanks.

Andrew.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I use Autoglym custom wheel cleaner every so often which is the least aggressive wheel cleaner they do. I originally bought it for the GF’s ST200 as it’s safe on diamond cut alloys but it’s all I use now. As Bug pointed out it will remove any sealants etc. so I only use it occasionally, probably more to clean up the brake calipers than the wheels. If your wheels are sealed and protected a normal shampoo solution and soft brush should suffice. There are some pretty expensive wheel brushes out there but I use a Vikan soft wheel brush which was £6/7 and that works fine.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I just had to check again as for some reason I wrote “ what andrew uses on his wheels “ like my Mrs knows on my Xmas list ?
When I said it’s called poor boys wheel polish she still thought I was having a laugh ....
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Tell her its for all of us poor boys who'd prefer to replace our alloys when they get dirty but cant afford to.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Morning All,
Just got back from QS (waste of time as it was a total wash out) and finally had a chance to check my wheels after a long drive.
I was able to remove the brake dust from my wheels by using just a hosepipe. Poorboys Wheel Sealant is definitely worth putting on your Christmas lists.

Andrew.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Morning All,
Just got back from QS (waste of time as it was a total wash out) and finally had a chance to check my wheels after a long drive.
I was able to remove the brake dust from my wheels by using just a hosepipe. Poorboys Wheel Sealant is definitely worth putting on your Christmas lists.

Andrew.
Would a smug mention of "told you so" seem out of place here ;)

Glad you approve
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I have applied or my son has the Poorboys wheel sealant on her yearly wash so will see how it goes .
Was going to post up some pictures but it looks like the new postimg.com is not working ?

We will have to find a new one or is it me ? Sorry little bit of topic