Weber 34 ICH to 32/36 Carb

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Weber 34 ICH to 32/36 Carb

Post by D366Y »

Hi,

Just got the car back with the new carb on it, but there is one wire (which I'm pretty certain is the rev counter, judging by the fact it no longer works and is the only wire currently not connected) that came off of the old carb (34 ICH) which had a spade clip attachment, but cannot find the same attachment on the new 32/36?

I have got a picture of a new carb and circled the part I mean, and you can kind of see on the other picture when it was on the car the red wire attached the side of the carb, but cannot for the life of me figure out where I'm supposed to put this on the new 32/36?

Image34ICH by Danny Hassall,

Any help/pointers would be great!

Thanks
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Weber 34 ICH to 32/36 Carb

Post by pbar »

Someone else will confirm I'm sure, but I think the models with a 32/36 carb had a spare wire in the loom (which is apparent close to the headlight relay), as it was not needed on that particular carb. This would explain why you now have this spare wire.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

That is correct - the wire was for the fuel cut off valve on the original VV carb and the 34ich. Just curl it up and tie it up somewhere out of the way.

How's the car going with all the new bits?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:That is correct - the wire was for the fuel cut off valve on the original VV carb and the 34ich. Just curl it up and tie it up somewhere out of the way.

How's the car going with all the new bits?
Oh I seeeee.... That means something else must be wrong as to why my rev counter isn't going!

And so far it all looks very shiny, but is running like shit!! Needs a lot more fettling to sort out the mixture as it has a few flat spots and coughs and splutters when I try to put my foot down, was hoping that having a rev counter would make life easier!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: That means something else must be wrong as to why my rev counter isn't going!
Hi Danny,
The rev counter is fed from the coil.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Rev counter is fed by one of the green wires from the coil.

Carb may need setting up on a rolling road, sounds like it's overfuelling and may need a slightly smaller main jet. Easier and probably cheaper in the end to do this than keep fannying around with different jets. There is a place in Slough I believe.

http://novatech.info/

If you want me to have a look at it pop round some time.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote: That means something else must be wrong as to why my rev counter isn't going!
Hi Danny,
The rev counter is fed from the coil.

Andrew.
Cheers Andrew, I did find this thread earlier viewtopic.php?t=37072 which I have checked and all my other wires seem to be attached?? I will have to check another day when it is light as unfortunately I don't have a garage to work in!
Paul G wrote:Rev counter is fed by one of the green wires from the coil.

Carb may need setting up on a rolling road, sounds like it's overfuelling and may need a slightly smaller main jet. Easier and probably cheaper in the end to do this than keep fannying around with different jets. There is a place in Slough I believe.

http://novatech.info/

If you want me to have a look at it pop round some time.
And thanks Paul, I will have to take you up on that before I get it set up properly on the rolling road! :)

Cheers
Danny
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

If anyone is interested by the way, Novatech in Slough want £70+VAT and hour (£82 an hour) and a pinto apparently takes around 2hours so would be about £160 to set up, once I've actually got the thing working within reason!