2.8 Shell Project

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Re: 2.8 Shell Project

Post by Hot_Protein »

I need to update my project so here it goes...

I can't get a chassis tilter to fit in my garage because of my stupid door. I bought a super tall tool box from Halfrauds and my garage door wouldn't close :( .

I had been thinking of selling the shell and all my other parts but then I thought maybe I should go the easier route of fitting standard parts. However, these parts are not too easy to find and find for a reasonable price. I have given up on a LSD axle for now but even a standard crappy one is £300 these days. I have been trying to price up the parts I would need to just get it rolling and it's in the region of £2000.

What I would ideally like, as it was originally a 2.8 is a 2.8 engine and box, front legs, lsd axle and an injection tank. I can't find a 2.8, 2.9 or BOA/BOB engine and the gearboxes aren't exactly in abundance let alone a T5. The Injection tanks have always been sought after so non injection tank seems to be the way forward and I guess some sort of swirl pot affair. I might as well buy after market front struts and the single leafs are £180 a pair.

Does anyone have any ideas about the best place to look for these parts or is building a 2.8 from a shell a stupid idea?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I'm glad to hear that you're still working away on the project!
If it helps, CCI are soon to start selling reproduction 2.8 petrol tanks. No word on anticipated price yet though.

Andrew.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Thanks.
That is awesome news. Shame it's the Capri Club doing them though. Just been on their site and it's a little expensive! It's good to know I can get a LSD for a standard axle though. Where's the best place to get the single leaf springs? I have seen them from £160 a pair to the price that CCI want.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hot_Protein wrote: Where's the best place to get the single leaf springs?
Burton sell a pair of singles for £188 but that includes P&P. The Burton ones are British made, whereas Tickover say theirs are made in Sweden. Whether that makes a difference or not, I don't know.
http://www.burtonpower.com/leaf-spring- ... or028.html
The CCI ones are £165 + P&P with the member's discount.

I'm sure that Martin at Capri Gear will also be able to supply a pair and also offer some advice on quality, if required.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

There's an original 2.8 fuel tank on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-capri-2 ... 0005.m1851

Andrew.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

That's very helpful thanks. How did you find out about the injection tanks? Maybe I should start hounding CCI about it.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hot_Protein wrote:That's very helpful thanks. How did you find out about the injection tanks? Maybe I should start hounding CCI about it.
It's been mentioned several times in the club magazine. From memory, I think they are due to be available in November.

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: I'm glad to hear that you're still working away on the project!
:agree: Keep at it, with it being a shell you have carte blanche to create whatever you want with whatever parts you can get hold of. Trouble is, It's hard enough finding the parts & when you do, prices aren't cheap. Looks like you've still got a long road ahead but stick at it & :goodluck: it'll definitely be worth it once you get to drive it.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I think you have made the right decision. The closer to original that you can keep it the more it will be worth.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hot_Protein wrote:How did you find out about the injection tanks? Maybe I should start hounding CCI about it.
As you may be aware, the fuel tanks are due in the new year. Martin recently started a thread as he is also able to supply them.

How is the project coming along?

Andrew.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Hi,
Yes i noticed today. They look awesome. CCI want £288 for their new fuel tanks. Is Martin any cheaper? I'm aware they are £240 to members too. I was wondering if the concours guys will be buying them and have a spare tank to sell. It's not that I'm doing my build on a budget but i do have a long list of things to buy before i can turn the key. I'm going to start doing updates to my thread soon. I just dusted off the welder yesterday. Might even be brave enough to plug it in. One of the things i need is the top part of the scuttle panel and probably some A pillars.
The good news however is that i looked under the shell the other day and saw some shock absorbers. That's £200 i wont have to spend. Anyway thanks for the news. I'll get my christmas list of parts up soon.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hot_Protein wrote:Is Martin any cheaper?
Hi,
The last I heard, Martin hasn't finalised his prices yet. Best give him a call in the new year.

Andrew.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Not_Anumber wrote:I think you have made the right decision. The closer to original that you can keep it the more it will be worth.
Absolutely. However it is a lot more expensive. I could probably have bought a minter by the time I'm done. I don't like saving money though and i already have this one. It will be nice when it's done.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Ok so this is my first proper update in a while. I am no longer doing RX8 independent rear suspension, nor am I doing a Jag V8 or V6, and not even a Volvo 5 pot. I’m going back to basics. I’m using excruciatingly expensive standard parts.

Why?

Well I have money for my project, but not much space or time. I can find the time, but I can’t find more space. Also, I am a little concerned about the DVLA taking away my number plate and giving me a Q plate because I have altered the chassis too much. I’m worried about the possibility that I would have to pay the new road tax based on emissions. I don’t know that for sure but it was enough of a worry for me to start thinking how easy it would be to fit the standard parts.I could buy a 2.8 for the money I will have to spend but I already have this shell and can’t sell it. So I’m pressing on with the build.

First off, welding needs to be done. My A-Pillars and Scuttle panel need sorting out as there are various rust holes. I will either patch them or get a whole panel from Expressed Panels. These are not cheap. Not even too sure of the price for the top part of the scuttle panel. The bit with all the slots for the leaves to slide into.

So the list of parts and prices I have so far;

2.8 Colonge V6 Engine £350
Type 9 5 Speed Gearbox £300
Atlas Axle £300
Prop Shaft £50
Front Struts £200
Brakes £100
Radiator £235
Injection Tank £240
Fuel Pump £90.99
Fuel Filter £14.99
Fuel Tank Sender £162
Fuel Tank Straps and Bolts £86.10
Single Leaf Springs £180
Spring Shackles £40
Poly Bushes £328.89
Front ARB £50
Rear ARB £50
Tie Rod Ends £19.20
Track Control Arms £60
Wheels and Tyres £200
Hand Brake Cable £16.09
Exhaust System £333
Starter Motor £83.95
Steering Coupler £77
PAS Seal Kit £28
Battery £65.99
PAS Pump £45
PAS Belt £16

That’s the mechanical part done. Then there’s the exterior;

Bumpers £134
Headlamps £237.60
Headlamp Brackets £40
Grill £40
Wing Rails £26.40
Windscreen Rubber £40.96
Rear Wiper Motor £30
Rear Wiper Arm £10
A Pillars £180 each
Scuttle Panel £300

And now for the interior missing parts list;

Front and Rear Seats £100
Parcel Shelf £72
Front Door Cards £50
Glove Box £30
Lower Dash Panels x2 £30
Dash Panel £20
Heater £80
Clocks 2.8 £25
Near Side Mirror £42
Window Winders £13.32

So there we have it. I have a more comprehensive detailed list that adds up to £5k. I don’t really want to spend £5k right now. I don’t have £5k right now. I do want to do the car properly, but I also want to drive the car as soon as possible so I am going to cheap out and then spend on some goodies later and get the car looking good. So if anyone knows a cheaper place to get any of these parts or a more sensible second hand price then let me know. I’m doing bodywork first then getting major mechanical parts. The plan is to do the rear end first then the front. I’ll be happy when she is rolling and has the big parts (engine, gearbox, axle, prop, struts etc) sorted.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

I am now finally abandoning my project and selling everything. I just don't have the time or the space and quite frankly because of all the stress it is causing me I have finally lost interest.

I am selling up all my parts if anyone is interested. I will be listing them on here and eventually ebay if nobody wants the bits. I have also taken the sad decision to cut up the shell for its panels if anyone is interested in them. I can't sell the shell as I'm in Devon and I don't think anyone would be bothered enough to collect it. Also it's probably worth more in panels.

I will use the money to buy something MOTable and classic like a lotus excel or something. Fords are now out of my price range.

Thank you for your interest and support.
Shederic
Car(s): Rescued a 2.8i shell for my first project

Post by Shederic »

Really sorry to hear.
I did see on capri world facebook page someone was after 5 shells to produce some zakspeed tributes - sounded like it was the guy who build the tribute car featured in classic ford
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

Also really sorry to see this. :( What a shame!

This is a lesson to me and the reason why I do not want to bite off more than I can chew with my project. With £000's spare (or better, budgeted) and time and space, everything is possible. Any shortage in at least one of those, it's the road that has a dead and sorry end.

I want to keep the aspiration lid on mine. Know what I can achieve and leave what I can't achieve as something I'll do another time - but at each end of stage, wherever I get to, needs to be road worthy. That's what we want from our cars.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Yes it is a shame. I thought i would finish this one. I think if I had a double garage I might have been able to do it. I have the money but not much time. If I had an hour or two I could have got somewhere. With maybe 8 hours a month dedicated to it. I had that amount of time spare but the problem was if I had to pull the car out I would have to put it all back too so that was probably 45 minutes to an hour of time gone there. Plus I couldn't really give the little kids in the neighbourhood arc eye either. And if it was raining then I wouldn't be able to get it out at all. I'm adding this one to my other life's lessons. I should be a very wise man soon.
I have now started spending my money on retro games consoles which I do have the space for. I must now find a forum for that.
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

I sometimes wonder - and please knock me about for stating this, along with anyone else who believes this is wide of the mark - when doing the job yourself, it is difficult to get to that goal. Not always and there will be people here who have done it all - on many occasions.

There is little doubt that a lot of you are more capable than me. I can service a motor and replace some of the big components. But a full strip down is a little beyond me. That's why I am giving the motor to someone else and pay them for their time and trouble.

I learnt about 15 years ago when the more modern cars started needing more modern, bespoke tools, it was as expensive sometimes to go out and get that tool that I'll use once, than give it to someone who has the tools as they are doing these jobs monthly.

I sometimes think that when you give the vehicle to someone else, it seems to be finished and finished reasonably quickly, as they are pouring all their time into it, because they can dedicate that time. You're paying them after all. And it is a more expensive way to go on a project.

That's different from getting the welder out at 8pm after tea to sort out the next piece after a long day at work. I hear your pain also about having to shift the garage about to get some space - and this is just an extra chore.

Don't get me wrong - giving the car to someone to finish means that it isn't your own fair hand and is more expensive, for sure. But it seems, based on projects I have seen before, to be more successful at getting it finished, based on %'s.

I seem to liken this to a builder's home. Not all of them so don't think that I am meaning every builder in the land. But a few builders I know seem to always live in a part finished house themselves whilst that complete immaculate jobs at other people's places.

A busman's holiday.

Please don't think I mean all projects are like this. But when the project becomes a chore because of the hassle, you can forgive people just calling it a day.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Daz-RSK wrote:I sometimes wonder - and please knock me about for stating this, along with anyone else who believes this is wide of the mark - when doing the job yourself, it is difficult to get to that goal. Not always and there will be people here who have done it all - on many occasions.

There is little doubt that a lot of you are more capable than me. I can service a motor and replace some of the big components. But a full strip down is a little beyond me. That's why I am giving the motor to someone else and pay them for their time and trouble.

I learnt about 15 years ago when the more modern cars started needing more modern, bespoke tools, it was as expensive sometimes to go out and get that tool that I'll use once, than give it to someone who has the tools as they are doing these jobs monthly.

I sometimes think that when you give the vehicle to someone else, it seems to be finished and finished reasonably quickly, as they are pouring all their time into it, because they can dedicate that time. You're paying them after all. And it is a more expensive way to go on a project.

That's different from getting the welder out at 8pm after tea to sort out the next piece after a long day at work. I hear your pain also about having to shift the garage about to get some space - and this is just an extra chore.

Don't get me wrong - giving the car to someone to finish means that it isn't your own fair hand and is more expensive, for sure. But it seems, based on projects I have seen before, to be more successful at getting it finished, based on %'s.

I seem to liken this to a builder's home. Not all of them so don't think that I am meaning every builder in the land. But a few builders I know seem to always live in a part finished house themselves whilst that complete immaculate jobs at other people's places.

A busman's holiday.

Please don't think I mean all projects are like this. But when the project becomes a chore because of the hassle, you can forgive people just calling it a day.
I used to service my cars 30 years ago, but got out of the habit and have paid for it now for many years.
But with the Capri I was determined to do the coolant, plugs and power steering/alternator belts myself and save probably £100 in labour costs. Oil and filter change will be done in the spring. Alot of grazed knuckles and bad language at times as these so called simple jobs can be a pain :doh: And thinking this is why I don't bother anymore, but it is nice to do some work at home and I don't like to be beaten, although I always know where to draw the line....

:agree: Having the right tools is the biggest bonus.