I just drove the new GT86..

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

I just drove the new GT86..

Post by Major_Tom »

..Toyota. My old man has finally treated himself for the first time in his life and bought a GT86 as few months back. It took four and a half months to be delivered can you believe that? Like my Da said... the guy mining the iron ore must have broken his pickaxe.

Anyway, he let me drive it today for the first time whilst he rode in the passenger seat. So naturally I put my foot down along the bypass. It's pretty good.. really lazy power all through the rev range, more like a V6 than the NA 2.0 it actually is. It's no Ford of course (I tried really hard to get him to spend his money on a classic Ford with modern engine and running gear.. tried every angle you could think of.. nearly got him, but he changed his mind at the last minute.. what can you do) but it's quick and smooth and is looks good for a modern car. Handles well too, stiff and defined, very well set up to be honest. Nice interior but it's basically a two seater with rear passenger shelf like a lot of cars these days. Proper little coupe style boot too. Glad he's spent the money.. we only live once and its good to see him treat himself after years of bringing me and my brother up. ;)
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: I just drove the new GT86..

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fair play to your Dad for treating himself. As you say, you only live once and why not treat yourself instead of worrying about leaving an inheritance?
The GT86 is one of the few modern cars that I'd actually buy. It looks the business and, when compared to some other sporty coupes, is good value for money.

Andrew.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Yeah money money money... horrible stuff, get rid of it and have fun whilst you can says I. It's useful, having a bit to be comfortable sure, but you can never have enough and all the rich blokes I know are either stressed, miserable or both!

As you say good value too... I think he got a good price off carwow.com.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Major_Tom wrote:Yeah money money money... horrible stuff, get rid of it and have fun whilst you can says I.
I like your thinking :D . I'd love to own one of these, think it would be an excellent long term ownership car, always fancied one. My youngest boy has recently bought the new Subaru BRZ, which is the same car bar the badging. What I like about it is that it's not rocket ship fast but you can use all the power all the time, it handles really flatly. It also likes going sideways but snaps back quickly (as he enjoyed showing me on the way to a car show recently 8-) ). I'm glad he's enjoying it, as you said, it's basically a two seater so wouldn't suit me at moment but hopefully in the future I could get away with it. Wish him :goodluck: on his new purchase.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Caprifan Rob wrote:My youngest boy has recently bought the new Subaru BRZ, which is the same car bar the badging. What I like about it is that it's not rocket ship fast but you can use all the power all the time,
Oh yeah, I saw one of those.. my olde man said they were the same. Yeah very easy usable power and a very wide power band.. Be interesting to see how easy they are to tune. Bet you could narrow that power band a bit and get some good figures and still have a good drivable car.

What am I saying... that's what Fords are for!

Thanks for all the nice comments by the way guys I shall pass them on. Happy days.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I was admiring one a little over four years ago at a main dealer when we were buying our current daily. Not looking to buy but just admiring and our salesman said he'd had to use one for a while so he knew it well enough to sell it. Sadly he wasn't that impressed. As I recall he thought the handling was a bit harsh. Still he struck me more as a pipe and slippers man. Nice looking car though I thought.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

I like those. They look like a lot of fun, and they're nice looking too
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I quite like these actually, I think the main issue they have is that they’re just not very quick. A Fiesta ST for example is cheaper, faster and more practical so that’s what the kids go for, and as they have a turbo engine are very easily tuned. Plus you need to be able to drive properly to get the most out of a RWD car! :lol:
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

mjcapri wrote:cheaper, faster and more practical
Being a nice looking RWD fastback coupe is more important than those things imo!
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

-JC- wrote: Being a nice looking RWD fastback coupe is more important than those things imo!
That's it, exactly. It is not a hot version of a general purpose car, its a ground-up sports coupe.

Had a look over the Subaru version of this in a showroom last year.
Very attractive car indeed and keenly priced I think considering what you get
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

-JC- wrote:
mjcapri wrote:cheaper, faster and more practical
Being a nice looking RWD fastback coupe is more important than those things imo!
Don’t get me wrong we all have different priorities; cheaper and faster will no doubt feature quite highly on the list of most young petrol heads though!

It’s like a modern day Capri vs XR3/GTI situation really. History often repeats itself!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

mjcapri wrote:A Fiesta ST for example is cheaper, faster and more practical so that’s what the kids go for
The Capri is practical too. Just ask anybody who had one back in the day, they'll tell you that the boot is plenty big enough for a bag of sand or concrete block! :D

Andrew.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
mjcapri wrote:A Fiesta ST for example is cheaper, faster and more practical so that’s what the kids go for
The Capri is practical too. Just ask anybody who had one back in the day, they'll tell you that the boot is plenty big enough for a bag of sand or concrete block! :D

Andrew.
Haha yes quite.... Ironically Capris are some of the best cars I’ve ever driven in the snow, with their relatively narrow tyres and lack of interference from traction control I’ve negotiated some pretty treacherous conditions without issue. And they’re great in an empty snow covered car park!
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

My Dad did his first person at the lights the other day :lol: at 69 :lol: . He says "it's a bit silly really though.." and I replied, "of course! Spend your money and enjoy yourself!"
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote:My Dad did his first person at the lights the other day :lol: at 69 :lol: . He says "it's a bit silly really though.." and I replied, "of course! Spend your money and enjoy yourself!"
Good Man :)
I make it my mission to beat the ones that stop 2 feet over the white line :drive: