Webber carb

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Alanb67
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6L

Webber carb

Post by Alanb67 »

Looking for a bit of advice......
Would a webber carb for a 2.0l be any good for a 1.6 pinto engine?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Webber carb

Post by Paul G »

Yes, it will liven it up quite a bit. Best done with a 2 litre camshaft and a sportex type exhaust manifold. The original 1.6GT or S had a slightly modified head as well and put out about 90BHP from memory, not that far behing a standard 2.0.

You will need the correct inlet manifold and throttle linkage as well but overall it's cheap BHP.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Weber carb.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Alanb67 wrote:Looking for a bit of advice......
Would a webber carb for a 2.0l be any good for a 1.6 pinto engine?
Paul G wrote:Yes, it will liven it up quite a bit. Best done with a 2 litre camshaft and a sportex type exhaust manifold. The original 1.6GT or S had a slightly modified head as well and put out about 90BHP from memory, not that far behing a standard 2.0.

You will need the correct inlet manifold and throttle linkage as well but overall it's cheap BHP.
I've just had my delivery come in for the same things! Got a 2l cam ready to go in, and got my whole weber kit delivered yesterday including all linkages, manifold, carb and air filter ready to bolt straight on! Excited doesn't even start to explain how excited I am :burnout:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

Good stuff. Little job for over the wintet then. Thanks
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

The 1.6 S at 90bhp was much closer to the 2.0 (100 bhp) in performance than it was to the standard 1.6 (72bhp). As others have said this is a cheap and easy way to get a few more bhp.
Even fitting the 2 litre inlet manifold and carb on its own really improves things but if you couple this with the 2 litre camshaft then you will have replicated the 90 bhp 1.6 S engine.
I still never know why Ford didnt standardise on it as the build cost difference per car cant have been more than £ 50. That the 1.6 LS and 1.6 Lasers had less power than the earlier 1.6 S seems quite odd.
Last edited by Not_Anumber on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Not_Anumber wrote:The 1.6 S at 90bhp was much closer to the 2.0 (1001bhp) in performance than it was to the standard 1.6 (72bhp).
I wouldn't mind trying to drive a capri with 1001bhp!! :lol:

Fair play to Ford for managing to get so much from a 2litre as well, could teach Bugatti a thing or two!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

Not_Anumber wrote:The 1.6 S at 90bhp was much closer to the 2.0 (100 bhp) in performance than it was to the standard 1.6 (72bhp). As others have said this is a cheap and easy way to get a few more bhp.
Even fitting the 2 litre inlet manifold and carb on its own really improves things but if you couple this with the 2 litre camshaft then you will have replicated the 90 bhp 1.6 S engine.
I still never know why Ford didnt standardise on it as the build cost difference per car cant have been more than £ 50. That the 1.6 LS and 1.6 Lasers had less power than the earlier 1.6 S seems quite odd.
That sounds about the best way to get a little more power. I will try to source the parts and do the job over the winter months.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Not_Anumber wrote:The 1.6 S at 90bhp was much closer to the 2.0 (100 bhp) in performance than it was to the standard 1.6 (72bhp). As others have said this is a cheap and easy way to get a few more bhp.
The 1.6 GT/ S head had bigger inlet valves and was better gas flowed than the standard 1.6 and they also had a 4 branch exhaust manifold fitted as standard.

The same applied to the 1.3 and 1.6GT versions of the MK1 with the Kent engine, better cam, twin choke carb, bigger inlet valves and 4 branch manifold.

Fitting 2.0 Cam, twin choke 32/36 carb and four branch manifold would I guess give it 85 - 87 BHP so long as it had the viscous type fan or an electric one. Probably still a worthwhile upgrade.