Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Laser + GL

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:I'd be interested to see what a difference the new carb and cam make. Bet they'll liven it up a bit.

Paul.
Fingers crossed! I'm hoping I'll notice the difference considering I'm spending around £1000-1200 on all the parts and labour :shock:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

These cars sound like they cost a lot of money but a friend with a 3 year old Audi has just paid out £1800 on a service , pads & two tyres .
Also he said he has lost almost 23k of the price he paid .

I must have sounded a right devil as I laughed and said my Capri passed its mot and I think I may have gained £50 more in value .

Would love to see some pictures also a real credit to the work your doing have you got a good garage near you ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Jasonmarie wrote:These cars sound like they cost a lot of money but a friend with a 3 year old Audi has just paid out £1800 on a service , pads & two tyres .
Also he said he has lost almost 23k of the price he paid .

I must have sounded a right devil as I laughed and said my Capri passed its mot and I think I may have gained £50 more in value .

Would love to see some pictures also a real credit to the work your doing have you got a good garage near you ?
Ouch! Guess I can't complain too much then :lol:

I used to always use the same guys that do my MOT each year as I've been going there for years and so has my dad so they've made a small fortune off us and are always handy when it comes to MOT time as well if it's stupid niggly stuff that would mean it fails, but they are also pretty pricey... Recently I was lucky enough to bump into someone at work who said he owned his own garage, and also has a capri! Needless to say I devoted my time to make sure he got what he wanted and needed so when the time came he would help me out with all this stuff, just have to wait and see how good it will be!

Judging by the fact that his white injection looks pretty spotless and I saw the engine out as he had just rebuilt the whole thing and then got to the garage this morning just as he was putting it all back in again, I'm thinking I've left the car in capable hands! It's also looking to be a hell of a lot cheaper than the garage I would normally use as well so looking pretty sweeeeeet so far!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

So it's back! New cam and carbs make a massive difference (when they work as they should!)

Was running a bit lumpy after I got the car back so before I got it rolling-roaded I have fitted an Aldon ignition kit after a few of you guys on here mentioned how good it was. Massive shout out to Paul G who helped fitting the thing yesterday, fires up on the first turn now everytime! Couldn't have done it without him and he also helped tune the carb a bit with the idle screw and mixture screw which I was scared to fiddle with lest I ruin it even more :lol: Been running a proper treat since and I haven't been able to stop booting it everywhere!

Well chuffed :burnout: :cool:

ImageIMG_20171111_202924_600 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

Also fitted some blue samco hoses and accuspark HT leads to get some colour going on and make it look a bit more interesting under the bonnet :lol:
Calling a local rolling road in Thame, Oxford tomorrow to get her booked in and sorted properly :woot:

Next job after that is to spray up the rocker cover and get the belt cover back on after they have been sprayed to tidy it up a bit and look more presentable! :lol:
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Post by tazla »

Coming on nicely.rocker cover painted will make a massive differenc.id go black or blue.your car though.keep up the good work. the exhaust manifold on mine was cleaned up then painted with b &q barbeque high temp paint.and its not burned off yet.just a light coating to colour it.all the halfords ones etc have burned off.just a thought cheers mel
79Caprigl
Car(s): Capri 1.6gl (restoration project)

Post by 79Caprigl »

I have a chromed rocker cover on my pinto which looks great with the contrasting black paint. Either that or satin black is always a winner!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

79Caprigl wrote:I have a chromed rocker cover on my pinto which looks great with the contrasting black paint. Either that or satin black is always a winner!
I was thinking of going satin black... Chrome does sound awesome but would be the only chrome part on a black car so might look a little out of place :lol:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

tazla wrote:Coming on nicely.rocker cover painted will make a massive differenc.id go black or blue.your car though.keep up the good work. the exhaust manifold on mine was cleaned up then painted with b &q barbeque high temp paint.and its not burned off yet.just a light coating to colour it.all the halfords ones etc have burned off.just a thought cheers mel
Cheers for this advice by the way, I have looked into different Ultra High Temperature Paint and have no idea what's best so thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I go grab some!

Danny
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

D366Y wrote:
79Caprigl wrote:I have a chromed rocker cover on my pinto which looks great with the contrasting black paint. Either that or satin black is always a winner!
I was thinking of going satin black... Chrome does sound awesome but would be the only chrome part on a black car so might look a little out of place :lol:
Hi Danny,

Wow ! Your engine compartment looks really great now fella. Great work !!! When that rocker cover is painted up it will look even better ! Deffo go for Black mate as Blue will take away from your Blue leads and hoses. I tried blue hoses on mine but with my blue leads and battery I thought there was too much blue going on against my Lacquer Red. The Blue in yours looks much better against the Black, so deffo go for a Black rocker cover.

Re painting the exhaust I did mine when I first fitted it with a Very High Temp Paint specifically fo exhausts which looked superb when first done then it did begin to peel so I just sanded it all back and left mine looking a bit 'industrial' which I like and no worry about paint peeling. Having said this that BBQ paint sounds very goods please keep us updated if you use it.

Keep up the fantastic work Danny !

All the best mate

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Cheers Nick! I need to get back on it now the warmer weather is hopefully on its way...?? :lol: I'm sure I will update this accordingly

Danny
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Big day this week as the Laser went in for the MOT, and looks like I picked the perfect day to go!!

ImageFB_IMG_1525204079712 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageSnapchat-2133107154 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

Also a big week as I got to watch the car become new again :)

ImageIMAG0078 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

Also finally got round to having both suspension strut tops welded and they look good again, will have to take a picture when I'm next out with car, glad that it is coming along slowly but surely, has been a long time but slowly getting much better than when I got her :)
Would love to get the rear arches cut out and welded but at £600 a side it may well have to wait a while, but we shall see... Keep an eye out as I now only drive the capri so will be out and about all the time!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Glad to here you all passed also yes seeing the 00000 it’s almost like a great funfair should be played . Looks like your MOT stations knows it’s Capri was the car anybody’s on here ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
It's good to hear that your car passed it's MOT, but it's no surprise really. :D
Nice to see the two Capris in the garage together. I wonder if the mechanics thought they'd time travelled back to the 80s? :lol:

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Well done Danny :cheers:

And a nice 3.0S :woot:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:And a nice 3.0S :woot:
:agree: Great colour too. :D

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:And a nice 3.0S :woot:
:agree: Great colour too. :D

Andrew.
It was unbelievably clean, absolutely immaculate! I was speaking to the guy who owned it who said it bought it new, sold it a year later then bought it back again 29years later from the same person he sold it to and fully restored it. The Vinyl roof is still original, as is the check interior!

The engine bay has been fully detailed and it sounded amazing as well. Not sure if the gent is on here but he told me he had 30 odd cars including a Ferrari F40 (Among a load others, this one stuck in my mind though!)

And now the car has rolled over to being new again I'm tempted to have the engine stripped and re-built as I'm sure it needs it at some point.... it wont be cheap so I'll keep saving for now and see what my thoughts are after the summer I think :lol:

And thanks for the kind words Andrew, was nice to see it go through smoothly, need to sort out the passenger side handbrake though as it's touch and go for being tight enough haha
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

D366Y wrote:Big day this week as the Laser went in for the MOT, and looks like I picked the perfect day to go!!

ImageKeep an eye out as I now only drive the capri so will be out and about all the time!
It's brilliant that you use the car all the time, must make the daily grind a lot easier. Loving that 3.0S too, but it only goes to highlight how stunning your wheels are :cheers:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
D366Y wrote:Big day this week as the Laser went in for the MOT, and looks like I picked the perfect day to go!!

ImageKeep an eye out as I now only drive the capri so will be out and about all the time!
It's brilliant that you use the car all the time, must make the daily grind a lot easier. Loving that 3.0S too, but it only goes to highlight how stunning your wheels are :cheers:
Haha thanks Rob, I do love the wheels, need to get some wider tyres on them though so I can fill out the arches properly as well.. all in the pipeline! :)

Danny
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Just a quick update... borrowed the ramp at the weekend so managed to underseal the car with the white/clear waxoyl/hammerite spray stuff which worked a treat! Only difficult part is that it's really hard to tell where I have or haven't covered until it's dried, it's starting to turn more of a grey colour after a few days though but might need to get it up on the ramps again to cover the bits I didn't get the first time.

While it was up there I sanded back the front lower valence along with the petrol tank underside and covered that in some plain black Hammerite spray paint to give it a good coat of protection, and I'm now covering the wheel wells in the same stuff as I'm guessing it will be mainly stone chips and some surface water that get up there so should be enough protection (I hope!) and managed to start spraying the drums as well too :)

ImageSnapchat-1968392594 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0096 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0100 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0102 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Looking good Danny but don't forget to do the inside edge of the rear valance - they rot like anything if just left.