electrics were to start

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Kingy88
Car(s): Ford capri Mk 3 2.0 laser

electrics were to start

Post by Kingy88 »

So after lots of peoples help the capris nearly finished. Just to source a mk 2 front bumper. Few electrical issues now horn does not work no power even going to it and front screen wash motor works tested it power going through cable to it but nothing at stork just like horn replaced both storks still nothing all connections look good now at a total loss any help or recommendations on anyone close to yorkshire thats good with electrics.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: electrics were to start

Post by Paul G »

Both the horn and the washer pump can stick up with lack of use. With both, firstly check that power is getting to them and that they are wired correctly, ie +ve to +ve and neg to neg. If that's OK then get someone to hold the switch down and give each a tap with a hammer or socket ratchet handle - this may unstick them. If a few good taps isn't working then you will have to look at renewing both.

If there is no current getting to them then give the fuse box and the two wiring connectors (black and red) a good clean.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Horn can often be a bad earth so clean everything well

I had a similar issue with my washer pump years back.
Wired to the battery it ran fine; tested the live feed and was getting 12v no problem.
Turned out to be corrosion on the connector at the fusebox. Can't remember which one, but it was a separate black wire push-fitting onto a spade connector on the side of the fuse box.
It was allowing the volts through but giving too much resistance for the pump to run. (I'm no electrician, so I hope that makes sense?)
Again, a good clean of every connection did the trick
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I spent about a week chasing around a non-working front indicator, spent ages checking all the wiring and connections in the engine bay, at the indictor, at the stalk, under the dash at the flasher etc etc. right palaver.

And what it was, it was a dirty connection in one of the multi-plugs that go through the bulkhead by the fuse box. So pull those apart and spray some cleaner in them - the re-connect.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Noel wrote:I spent about a week chasing around a non-working front indicator, spent ages checking all the wiring and connections in the engine bay, at the indictor, at the stalk, under the dash at the flasher etc etc. right palaver.

And what it was, it was a dirty connection in one of the multi-plugs that go through the bulkhead by the fuse box. So pull those apart and spray some cleaner in them - the re-connect.
I had the same problem, eventually gave up and took it to an old boy who runs an Auto-Electricians' garage who said I stood no chance of finding it as it was the connections underneath the fuse box itself, he said the best thing to do was drop a little bit of solder on those connections in and around the fuse box if the contact is not great as it is much easier than trying to clean awkward to get to parts
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Good point, the fuse box too.
That can be unscrewed, lifted out, and the connector blocks cleaned.

If you don't fancy tinning the conenctors as suggested, get some Servisol Super 10 from Maplins and spray it over the whole lot and work the connectors on and off a few times.
Super 10 is a like a solvent with oil in it, does the trick on old switches and contacts, and leaves them with an bit of oil on them to keep 'em from tarnishing.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

As per Bug's comment - I got a metered 12volts at the washer pump (that I had tested as working o.k. at the battery) but on the car it would not work. 12 volts isn't enough if there are no AMPS with it. A corroded wire with one strand of copper left in it was the problem.
Kingy88

Post by Kingy88 »

Sounds like its could be the fuse box then going to hbe a good dig round this weekend and give everything a good clean up and check earths the loom is abit of a mess numerous additions tonit so think ill have to untaoebit all and check it all out. Probably the kast job before the winter. Cheers
Kingy88

Post by Kingy88 »

So after a busy weekend still no look checked all connections under the bonnet all good cleaned them all up sprted a cable goig to the battery that was on its last strand chaned all fuses and even replaced the fusebox forna bice clean one and its still the same although after reading some info all the electrical issues i have horn wiper interior lights all run through the 1st fuse which had bo fise in it whne i got it put a 16amp one in and fise blows whenever i connect the battery up so at a loss now.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

cleaned them all up sprted a cable goig to the battery that was on its last strand chaned all fuses and even replaced the fusebox forna bice clean one and its still the same although after reading some info all the electrical issues i have horn wiper interior lights all run through the 1st fuse which had bo fise in it whne i got it put a 16amp one in and fise blows whenever i connect the battery up so at a loss now
I had loads of issues over the weekend from fuse 1, changed the wire from the spade connector that heads off into the loom as it was a bit dodgy and a naff connection so I cut it off and re-wired that little bit.

What did you do about the cable that was 'on it's last thread'?

Also, is the earth connection good on everything off of fuse 1? Could be another reason that it keeps blowing the fuses?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Kingy88

Post by Kingy88 »

Rewired a new connector on but didnt do anything just checked all earths today ones under bonnet and the ones i can find inside ive figured out its deffitnely fuse 1 thats shorting somewere checked all cables on storks interior light connections cig lighter connections all good bothing that coudl cause it to short but yet again tried abother fuse went the min i connected battery back up. On the verge off giving up now lol
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Fuse 1 is also for the indicators and rear stop lights and front washer jet so have you checked those earths as well?
Otherwise I'm starting to run out of ideas!