205/60r13 tyres

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

205/60r13 tyres

Post by Noel »

205/60r13.
Once common. Now niche. Unless you've got a 7x13" classic Ford wheel (like a lot of us).
Only current production seems to be Nankang or Maxxis. Falken packed in that size last year or two ago.

UNTIL NOW!!!

Just noticed this Dunlop Sport classic is now available in "our" size:
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/ ... 86v-643265

Not cheap, but at least its another option!!
Nice 1970s/80s tread pattern. Look good on an anything Capri really...

Rejoice!
Noel.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: 205/60r13 tyres

Post by andyd »

Dunlop or not, that is expensive for a 13" tyre :shock:

IMO, this will become commonplace now with 13" and 14" tyres, as we will be forced into buying 15" plus wheels to save on tyre prices or for more choice :? Stock pile them now!

I was told by my local tyre fitter, if new tyres were stored out of sunlight and at room temperature they are good for 10 years.....Under the bed or in the wardrobe then :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Thanks for the heads up, Noel.
I agree it's a good thing that another choice is now available in that size. Perhaps other manufacturers will follow......

In addition to the brands that Noel mentioned, Sonar and Ovation are two more budget brands that make tyres in our size.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:.

In addition to the brands that Noel mentioned, Sonar and Ovation are two more budget brands that make tyres in our size.

Andrew.
Not heard of those Andrew.
I don't think people are as worried about brand named tyres nowadays.....Many are still made as good just under a different name.

I have Autogrip on mine, they seem fine :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Many are still made as good just under a different name.
Hi Andy,
Although I tend to go for known brands, I agree that those tyres are most probably made in the same manufacturing plants as the budget tyres. I'm guessing that they're all made in China these days anyway.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

These insane prices are the reason why next time I need new tyres I'll just be upgrading the rims to 15" at the same time. Tyres are much more plentiful in that size and waaay cheaper too. Screw these old sizes that not a single tyre shop can supply, and screw online retailers like Oponeo and Mytyres after the endless incompetence and shady business practices I encountered when I tried using them.
Cheaper (in the long run) and way less stress to just get bigger wheels, plus it's a good excuse to make the car look more awesome ;).
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Given the small size of the market for old fitments like this on 13" wheels, and the fact that it is Dunlop re-making a proper period design, I really don't think the price is that bad.

I think the manufacturer should be encouraged for actually bothering at all.
There are plenty of budget ones available, but these are good if you want a more correct looking tyre - which I do.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I went with Vredesteins Sport Classic, at a tad under £ 100 a corner. They corner nicely and just look right on the pepperpots
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Ah, you went with the Vredestein classics?

This is very interesting (to me anyway!) as they have been available for some time in 205/60r13, but I always thought they looked a bit 1960s. I have seen them on MGs and the like and they look very good indeed, but I kind of disregarded them for pepperpots as you really need something with a more 1980s angular tread pattern (like the Goodyear NCTs which would have been OE). This is why I got so excited about these Dunlops.

Would love to see a pic of the Sprint Classics on pepperpots!

Noel.
I spend a lot of time thinking about tyres.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Noel wrote:Given the small size of the market for old fitments like this on 13" wheels, and the fact that it is Dunlop re-making a proper period design, I really don't think the price is that bad.

I think the manufacturer should be encouraged for actually bothering at all.
There are plenty of budget ones available, but these are good if you want a more correct looking tyre - which I do.

I agree with you if no-one else does?! :lol:

Makes a change for someone to actually start manufacturing 13" tyres when everyone else is winding down, I think there would have to be some sort of compromise though as £130 a corner still seems kinda pricey to me....

In comparison, my daily (a miserable, hateful Fiat Panda) had two new tyres today and they are 14"... £30 a corner. Granted they started out at £60 for a different size but I changed the profile slightly and they were £40 so paid £30 for them with a bit of cash ;)

I personally don't mind the other things available and currently have 13" Firestones on my 1.6 and was looking at getting Nankangs when they go, but do have to agree that it might just be easier to buy 15" Brookie wheels or RS4s instead...

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:
Noel wrote: it might just be easier to buy 15" Brookie wheels or RS4s instead...
Hi Danny,
Yes it is a lot easier to buy 15" wheels and the tyres to fit, however........they're not pepperpots are they? :)
Personally, I love the look of the original wheels and, in my opinion, they make the car. Replacing them with something else will be the absolute last resort!
I agree with Noel about the Vredestein tyres. From the photos I've seen, the trad pattern looks too vintage for the Capri.

Andrew.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Danny - you're right it is nice that some classic tyres are available. Dunlop and Michelin make quite a lot of classic stuff in small volumes that are available through places like Longstone etc, - but not in the 205/60 on a 13" rim. Until now that is.
I'm not replacing the pepperpots, have thought about it a lot, and its a valid suggestion but I think my car is a real 80s styling time capsule and I don't want to change it. I've even replaced all the correct tailgate decals this year and put it back to a black grille - that's how originalist I am getting.
It is a feasible idea to move to RS 4spokes, but that's money I'd better spend on a wheel refurb and fresh tyres.

I've actually been perfectly happy with the Nankangs that have been on my car the last 15 years, but they are now getting distinctly hard and crazed in places so its time for a change.
Until I saw these Dunlops I was basically ready to fit new Nankangs (or Vredesteins perhaps), but now I have the option for something a bit more "period" I am frankly, over the moon in a small way.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Don't want to be 'that guy' but I hate pepperpots so would be glad to have an excuse to get rid of them!! :lol:

I know it's not an ideal solution, does beg the question though of what happens when these Dunlops are the only 13" tyre left in 20yrs time ... hypothetical of course but something I'll have to start worrying about now haha
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I'm known for being as tight as a duck's bum in a flood, but I went with 185/70R13 in Goodride brand for the Laser. Thet seem well made and look OK and will be OK for a 1.6 that won't be driven like it's on a track. Only cost £109 for the four of them. I'm lucky because a mate of mine has a garage and lets me use his tyre changer and balancer FOC, although I slip him a £20 to go in the staff tea and coffee fund.

We used this brand at work and another pal of mine has them on his Subaru estate and he swears by them.

I've got a set of 5 XR4i 14" pepperpots that were sandblasted and primed a few years ago. I'm not sure if the offset is right for a Capri but if anyone wants them for the price of a beer or two then let me know.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

I'm a big fan of the Pepper pots and think they are the best looking option on early 2.8's. Fortunately I fitted Falken tyres on them a couple of years ago and I noticed a big improvement on grip over the old NCT's.
If I had to choose a tyre now with the current availability, then I would need to buy a set of 15" alloys that looked period like the Brookies or JBW RS4 http://www.johnbrownwheels.com/products ... 5-rs4.html and go for a good quality branded tyre.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I'm very much a fan of Pepperpots. if only Wolfrace had done 'em in 15" just imagine how much easier life would be.
Sigh.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Noel wrote:I'm very much a fan of Pepperpots. if only Wolfrace had done 'em in 15" just imagine how much easier life would be.
Sigh.
Must just be me then! :oops:

I've been using Falkens on the RS4 spokes I have (185/70R13) and they were great, but since I got the deep-dish RS4s I need to get something much wider! :lol:

Think I will have to get some 205s soon and was planning to go with the Nankangs
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have Falkens on my little lady they seem to being doing the job ok what they are like in the wet I have not got a clue , but in the days are I always use goodyears and they were great in the snow and wet ( not had snow in the south east since 2009 ) i think I am going to put my Capri to bed for the winter Nov-March but I don't know why after reading this and I must be a middle age mad man . If it snows I might go out and play .
Only to test the Falkens so I can give a review of course ........ :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:
I've got a set of 5 XR4i 14" pepperpots that were sandblasted and primed a few years ago. I'm not sure if the offset is right for a Capri but if anyone wants them for the price of a beer or two then let me know.
Offset 41mm and 5.5J, same as mine :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:I went with 185/70R13 in Goodride brand for the Laser.
You can also buy Evergreen tyres at that size off the shelf, which I have on mine, seem great.

http://www.evergreentyres.co.uk/tyres/view/eh22