Capri 2.8 spitting coolant

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Knapp37
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri Mk3 2.8i Special

Capri 2.8 spitting coolant

Post by Knapp37 »

Hi

Just after a bit of advice really.

I think I may know what the problem is but I just want to confirm/ see if it could be anything else.

First of all
I have a 2.8 injection Capri

And now the problem,

So the Capri keeps running hot and spitting coolant all over the place, quite a bit of it. I've narrowed it down to the radiator and cap. I thought that I might of been a bit careless and screwed the cap on right so I checked that, and to ruled it not being the cap I changed this for a spare as well just to double check. I've checked all the pipes and expansion tank as well which are all fine.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm thinking that the radiator could be blocked/knackered. But I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Re: Capri 2.8 spitting coolant

Post by 340truck »

Have you checked that the rad cap and the expansion cap are on the right way round? They are different.
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Yeah there on the right way round, another thing I checked. There quite different caps so quite easy to figure out, but thanks for checking!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Before you absolutely condemn the radiator, why don't you try taking it out, turning it upside down and running the hose throught it. You may be amazed at what may come out.

Also check your expansion bottle cap is good or substitute a new one for the sake of a few quid.

Finally one item not to be overlooked is the thermostat. Modern thermostats don't seem to last as well as they used to in the old days and it may well be worth fitting a new one of a good make such as Gates. Thermostats do give problems and stick causing the overheating.

Surely it's got to be worth trying these things before shelling out a couple of hundred quid on a rad.
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Yeah your definitely right Paul, i planned on flushing the rad out to check but thermostat is a good shout as well thanks for the tip!
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Hey guys thought I'd give everyone a bit of an update.

So today I've managed to drain the system and get the rad out. Although the coolant was a bit merky when I came to flush the rad out I put the hosepipe in it and it ran clear.

So got all this sorted then continued to spent the next 5 hours swearing and trying to remove the 3 bolts for the thermostat housing. Must thank screwfix for the bolt remover kit after all 3 bolts sheeted and rounded.

School boy error not going to get it in the first 3 hours.

Anyway tested the thermostat though it does open and close, it doesn't work to the temperatures written on it. So got a new one on the way.

So here's hoping that this is the issue. However think I might swap the thermostat housing while I've got it out.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

If you've got a thread tap I would suggest just running it down the threads to clean them and put a tiny smear of copperslip on the bolts. This may help them come out more easily next time.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Knapp37 wrote:Must thank screwfix for the bolt remover kit after all 3 bolts sheeted and rounded.
Are you able to supply a link to that? Sounds like a handy kit to have.
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Thanks Paul, good tip, when I get some new bolts for the housing this sounds like a great idea

Pbar here's the link for you

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-bolt- ... eces/6083d

Definitely worth the money after all my frustration
pbar

Post by pbar »

Great, thanks :) Looks like a piece of kit that's well worth having to hand.
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Right one more question.

While I've got everything out and i have access to everything, is it worth replacing the water pump when i replace the thermostat housing? theres been a small leak from it for years but nothing to be worried about. The car is pretty much away for the winter now anyway, just just wondering if its worth replacing a couple of bits while i have access to everything. or am i at risk of making more problems for myself if i replace a perfectly good (minus some small leaks) water pump

Thoughts?
pbar

Post by pbar »

I like your 'leave it alone instead of creating more problems' train of thought. Reminds me a great deal of this -

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=49838&p=336487#p336487

However, with it already leaking, albeit only slightly, I do think that I would change it myself, makes sense to do it now instead of later. See what others think though.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

:agree: If it's weeping do it now or it will bite you on the bum later just at the most inconvienient time!
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

If it's leaking then it's hardly perfectly good.
Knapp37

Post by Knapp37 »

Thanks guys! Never gone any further to the engine bay so suppose it's something new to learn. Is there anything I need to look out for when I'm taking the belt off? I'm aware that I'll need a special spanner for the fan and that the bolts holding it on are threaded the other way.

Is it easy get the belt off and on again?

And are there any other special tools I'll need?
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Knapp37 wrote:Thanks guys! Never gone any further to the engine bay so suppose it's something new to learn. Is there anything I need to look out for when I'm taking the belt off? I'm aware that I'll need a special spanner for the fan and that the bolts holding it on are threaded the other way.

Is it easy get the belt off and on again?

And are there any other special tools I'll need?
I'd leave the belts on until you have undone the fan nut. It is a left hand thread so loosen it as if you were tightening a normal nut! If you've not done one before I'd advise getting the proper spanner (can't remember what size it is) but I've not got one. I get a long thin chisel and put this on the right hand edge of one of the flats on the nut and give it a good twat with a hammer. After two or three taps they usually spin off OK. Did this recently on my Laser when I fitted a new pump. Works on most cars with a viscous coupling!

As for fitting the new pump be careful undoing the bolts - put a socket on each and give it a tap with a hammer before trying to undo it. As with the thermostat housing it is worth cleaning the bolts and threads and a little smear of copperslip on the threads just to aid future removal.

Finally make sure the mating face on the block where the pump sits is as clean as possible. I recommend smearing a very thin bit of blue Hylomar on both sides of the gasket - it will seal any minor pits in the mounting face and help stop future leaks and Hylomar doesn't set like silicon gasket sealer then bits fall off and get in the cooling system.

One last thing is that I've read on other posts and forums that there are two different types of water pump - the difference being in the impellor. Make sure that your new one is exactly the same as the one coming off. I've never seen what people mean and have only done water pumps on 2.8i Granadas and have never had trouble, but perhaps someone else can enlighten us what the difference is and how to spot it.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Very informative Paul. Your posts are often as good as the Haynes, if not better :)
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

If your water pump is leaking then defo change it, 2.8 system cannot afford to have any leaks as this lets the hot water which is at boiling point become steam which is what then causes it to bubble over like a kettle. You will hopefuuly cure your boil over problem by eradicating any leaks, i even had on mine no water coming out of any hoses but a couple of hoses allowing air to enter the system so make sure all jubilee clips are fully tightened , you need the clips that can be tightened with a small socket, not just a screwdriver. I changed all mine to be sure after first fully flushing the system, including the little chamber at front top of engine which is notorious for crudd build up and expansion tank hoses which often block especially on the small connection points on the tank itself, take off hoses one by one and check every port and fitting then new clips fully tightened on good condition hoses with new pump, thermostat and clean rad with 2 good quality caps fitted with viscous fan working properly equals efficient cooling system as intended by mr ford

Send me a pm with a contact number if you want to chat further as i had same problem with mine

Mark
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Get yourself one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viscous-Fan-S ... Swll1Wvd7C

It works perfectly for undoing the viscous fan on the 2.8 engine.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

pbar wrote:Very informative Paul. Your posts are often as good as the Haynes, if not better :)
I'd say better.... Haynes based there manuals on stripping a brand new car. The reality is the cars are now 30 years old and don't come apart or go back together the same as they did. Tapping bolt heads with a hammer, refitting with Copper slip soak with plenty of WD40 days before etc are not words I recollect reading in any Haynes manual!

Keep up the good posts Paul.... They always make good reading :applaud: