Starting issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Starting issue

Post by Paul G »

Dreamachine wrote:I filled the float chamber...yeah the pipes are the right way...will it make a difference if the car is on a steep slope facing up
That won't help but you should be ok if you've got 2 or 3 gallons in it. If you've got access to a compressor I'd blow through the pipe but disconnect it from the fuel sender as you will blow the gause filter off the pick up pipe. I still think your problem will be the pick up pipe or this gause filter blocked though.

If your car still has the original rubber sections in the fuel line (should be plastic under the car) they may have been attacked by the unleaded petrol and have crumbled internally causing the blockage. On my Laser I have renewed all the rubber pipes and fitted unleaded and ethanol compatable pipe and I would strongly suggest you do the same. I also fitted an inline filter to stop any crud that may be left getting into the carb.
Dreamachine
Car(s): Ford capri 2.0 restoration project
Ford focus daily driver

Post by Dreamachine »

Ok thanx
zakumwest
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i 1986 restoration project, Landrover Discovery Daily driver

Post by zakumwest »

Hi Lads, Just to update you, I removed the WUR and took it into work (hospital) we have an electronics engineering dept, we stripped the wur and tested the bi metal strip it was ok, checked the diaphragms all ok, we then re assembled it and pressure tested it cold and hot and it appeared to work ok, but without the cold and hot pressure information couldn't be too sure of the accuracy of the results.
While the above was going on a bought one from CC for £80 they said it had been tested, anyway fitted to the car and the car started but wouldn't run till after about 3-4 starts, the it ran a bit lumpy and popping from the exhaust.
Fitted the original one and now the car runs perfect ?? so we are now going to test the one bought from CC will let you know the results.
zakumwest
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i 1986 restoration project, Landrover Discovery Daily driver

Post by zakumwest »

Sorry posted on wrong thread
zakumwest

Post by zakumwest »

Hi Lads, Just to update you, I removed the WUR and took it into work (hospital) we have an electronics engineering dept, we stripped the wur and tested the bi metal strip it was ok, checked the diaphragms all ok, we then re assembled it and pressure tested it cold and hot and it appeared to work ok, but without the cold and hot pressure information couldn't be too sure of the accuracy of the results.
While the above was going on a bought one from CC for £80 they said it had been tested, anyway fitted to the car and the car started but wouldn't run till after about 3-4 starts, the it ran a bit lumpy and popping from the exhaust.
Fitted the original one and now the car runs perfect ?? so we are now going to test the one bought from CC will let you know the results.
zakumwest

Post by zakumwest »

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

That's funny same post but 8 days apart ?
But glad your up and running
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: