The new Barn Find addition to the old ford family

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

The new Barn Find addition to the old ford family

Post by Ghia15 »

So the ford collection in the house has grown once again.

It was at Crap, and I blame Glyn for this one, where we saw a Sierra pull up.

My other half quite liked the look of it. I knew about one locally that was sort of for sale if the right person came along.

Well after going to see it and seeing the look on my other halfs face, this going to be her car, I knew I had to buy it for her.

I Didn't tell her that though, I just said it was too much and made all sorts of excuses about why we couldn't, just so I could surprise her when the deal was done.

Essentially it is a 2 owner from new car. Ford owned it for the first year, the second owner had it from 1992 to 2005 and the last owner had it from 2005 unti now. The last 9 years it has been in a Barn gathering dust but dry and warm. Guess that means we have bought a barn find.

Car has not be charged in 9 years and still started up first turn of the key and idled sweet.

It does need work, as all old fords do but apart from a small patch on both sills is rust free.

Has good service history and all original books from ford.

It is original to the last nut except for the RS spoiler that was put on the car in its early life.

Plan for it is to get it home, Wash and polish it, Service the engine, Get the injectors cleaned and inspected, new filters, overhaul the brakes, new tyres and get her ready for the road.

Best part is I get to just assist as the other half will be learning everything she needs to be a proper old ford petrol head.

Will get pictures up when I have any, with and without dust.

Watch this space
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: The new Barn Find addition to the old ford family

Post by andyd »

Good find :applaud: What model is it?

People love the Sierra's at car shows....Look forward to some pics :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Sounds like a good find with all the great history/service records you've got with it.
I look forward to seeing the photos with and without dust!

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Nice one mate. This Sierra sounds a great buy and what a lovely surprise for your other half :)

Look forward to seeing some pics when you get a chance. I really like the Ford Sierra. I see one very sad example rotting away on someones drive every single day on my bus route. I pass it about 7/8 times a day. Has been there for 13yrs at least without movibg an inch. It prob needs a complete rebuild no. Its a 2.0 Ghia.

I think its well cool that you and your other half will be working on it together getting it ready for the road. Now thats what I call 'quality time' spent together :lol:

All the very best and :goodluck: with the work in hand

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

The Sierra was a damn fine car and I bet this one, when sorted out, will give you and your other half a lot of pleasure. I've owned quite a few, from a 1.6L up to Cosworths and they all were good cars to drive.

Just make sure you keep a check on the rust, I had them even rust along the top of the doors!

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Paul.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:The Sierra was a damn fine car and I bet this one, when sorted out, will give you and your other half a lot of pleasure. I've owned quite a few, from a 1.6L up to Cosworths and they all were good cars to drive.

Paul.
They are quite a comfortable car for an older :ford: Ideal for the older driver :whistle: :D
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Can't have too many classic :ford: cars. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it, enjoy.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Well done on acquiring this Sierra. I think they are great, simple and easy to work on like an old school Ford should be but with options such as ABS which make them easy to transition to from a modern daily driver. They took a step backwards in my book when they replaced the last of the Sierras with the bland Mk1 Mondeo.