End Of The Internal Combustion Engine?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: End Of The Internal Combustion Engine?

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote: their heads stuck in mobile phones and just assume, like many do today
There seems to be more people walking around like that, than not! It was on the news just the other day that they are looking at making this an offence, like crossing a road with undue care or something.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Paul G wrote: their heads stuck in mobile phones and just assume, like many do today
There seems to be more people walking around like that, than not! It was on the news just the other day that they are looking at making this an offence, like crossing a road with undue care or something.
About time too ignorant sods...... No wonder no one gives each other the time of day anymore :doh:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: About time too ignorant sods.....
Exactly, yes. They have had jaywalking in America for years, but no such thing over here as far as I know. Mobile phones are such a pest.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Mobile phones are such a pest.
A mobile phone is fine as now you can't seem to get by without one, to call and text is all you really need, but they have far too many apps etc.
Are people that worried what other people are doing on social media, that they have to spend probably 80% of their day staring at a small screen?
All you see is the top of peoples heads as they walk towards you, or just stop in your path without a care to anyone else :twak:

Everything is ok in moderation, but to far too many it's now an addiction.

I would go back to the 70's tomorrow mate :)
Shederic
Car(s): Rescued a 2.8i shell for my first project

Post by Shederic »

Just seen this on ebay :ebay: ;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-VEHI ... SwLIhZhwv5

As a theoretical concept;

2.8i capri with a 3.09 diff and 5th gear ratio of 0.82 running on 205/60 r13 tyres

Speed at continuous rpm = 75.7055mph
speed at peak rpm = 189.266 mph

I don't know how to work out the motors torque to see if this is feasible, but hypothetically, £795 for an engine capable of taking you to 189mph sounds like an interesting concept.

(I used this site to work out the maths http://sciencing.com/convert-rpm-mph-ca ... -2854.html) :proof:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
:) There are many of us with that frame of mind.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:
Mobile phones are such a pest.
A mobile phone is fine as now you can't seem to get by without one, to call and text is all you really need, but they have far too many apps etc.
Are people that worried what other people are doing on social media, that they have to spend probably 80% of their day staring at a small screen?
All you see is the top of peoples heads as they walk towards you, or just stop in your path without a care to anyone else :twak:

Everything is ok in moderation, but to far too many it's now an addiction.

:agree:

And we'd be able to buy a brand new 3.0S for about 4 grand!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:With silent vehicles they will unfortunately have to bring in Jaywalking laws like in some other countries.
I can't see that ever working in practice. It would require an increased policing budget to enforce the rules effectively, and that is never going to happen.

Andrew.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Paul G wrote:With silent vehicles they will unfortunately have to bring in Jaywalking laws like in some other countries.
I can't see that ever working in practice. It would require an increased policing budget to enforce the rules effectively, and that is never going to happen.

Andrew.
If there's money to be made from fines I'm sure they'll make it work!
pbar

Post by pbar »

mjcapri wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:

Andrew.
If there's money to be made from fines I'm sure they'll make it work!
Yes I agree, they will! Also, there are that many cameras around, the whole process would be largely automated, as speeding tickets can be.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

mjcapri wrote:If there's money to be made from fines I'm sure they'll make it work!
There would certainly be lots of money to be made from fining jaywalking pedestrians.
Perhaps some of the money might even be invested back into road maintenance.......I won't hold my breath though.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

If they're going to fine Jaywalkers using cameras, will we all have to walk round with a registration number on our backs?

Mind you, the way the Big Brother state is going nothing would surprise me.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:If they're going to fine Jaywalkers using cameras, will we all have to walk round with a registration number on our backs?

I guess that, an observation camera (these are manned aren't they?) would 'catch' a jaywalker and a copper would then be sent to ultimately take their money. Oh, I mean to arrest the naughty person and make our society stronger and our streets safer :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:If they're going to fine Jaywalkers using cameras, will we all have to walk round with a registration number on our backs?

We won't need registration plates as we'll all have microchips implanted into our necks that are read as we walk past roadside scanners.
You read it here first.........

Andrew.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:

We won't need registration plates as we'll all have microchips implanted into our necks that are read as we walk past roadside scanners.
You read it here first.........

Andrew.
That wouldn't surprise me one bit, treated like dogs or cats. The first we'd know that we had transgressed would probably be when we got our bank statement as well. Coppers would be either too lazy or more likely in too few numbers to come and deal with people personally, just likespeeding now.