End Of The Internal Combustion Engine?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: End Of The Internal Combustion Engine?

Post by Arya2.0S »

340truck wrote:What hasn't been calculated is where the government is going to find the money to replace what it will NOT be getting in fuel taxes. Now that is a job for Mr Corbyn, providing he actually works out how much money he'll have to find before telling us his solution THIS time!

It will be the current 20-25 yrear olds who will be in the thick of this, doubt they'll get fooled again!
His solutions are very simple and easy to understand, it's the opposition that likes to take them and pick them apart, bastardise, sensationalise and make them sound impossible.
Still, could be worse, he could have formed a coalition with literal terrorists.
:whistle:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:God knows how you can bling up a electric car but the MOT should be easy also if you live in one of them pent houses in London like mandela house peckham how long will your lead have to be to re-charge them batteries............?
Excellent point and I've been thinking similar, though I expect electric points in the street for that scenario, for kids to wreck and people to mess with, etc. But what about - a farmer with his combine harvester and tractors, are they all going to be electric too? And if so how's he going to charge that in the middle of a ten hour day in a field with no power. Will all public transport be electric too? Motorbikes, quad bikes, rally cars, F1, all nothing but electric? Then there is the question of disposing of batteries, they only currently have a short lifespan, imagine 20 million cars in Britain with batteries to dispose of and replace and charge up. No one knows what the future hold but it all does seem bizarre.
Shederic
Car(s): Rescued a 2.8i shell for my first project

Post by Shederic »

Arya2.0S wrote:What needs to happen is some genius needs to invent a generic hydrogen or efficient electric engine and drive train that can be retrofitted to any car.
Problem solved.
It will be cheaper than building and buying a whole car, and people get to keep their old cars. Classics will be able to stay on the road, and we can finally break the addiction to fossil fuels.
Tesla has proven he can make an electric car with the same performance and range as a supercar, so i reckon he'll be the one to crack it, if not someone else will figure it out they always do. But like i said, thats if we manage to survive that long as a species.

I totally agree. Some classics are too good to change a thing - however the ones that need new life breathing into them for their own survival this is an option.

I think this says it all:
("Zombie 222 is a converted, all-electric '68 Mustang that might just be the quickest classic Mustang in the world")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjQtrysPzVI
Shederic

Post by Shederic »

pbar wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:God knows how you can bling up a electric car but the MOT should be easy also if you live in one of them pent houses in London like mandela house peckham how long will your lead have to be to re-charge them batteries............?
Excellent point and I've been thinking similar, though I expect electric points in the street for that scenario, for kids to wreck and people to mess with, etc. But what about - a farmer with his combine harvester and tractors, are they all going to be electric too? And if so how's he going to charge that in the middle of a ten hour day in a field with no power. Will all public transport be electric too? Motorbikes, quad bikes, rally cars, F1, all nothing but electric? Then there is the question of disposing of batteries, they only currently have a short lifespan, imagine 20 million cars in Britain with batteries to dispose of and replace and charge up. No one knows what the future hold but it all does seem bizarre.
The solutions are coming :
"London street lamps are being turned into electric car charging points"
http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 09126.html

For me, I love the idea of a Electric daily that I have converted myself. But do I want a Capri as a practical daily?
Shouldn't the car I always promised myself be for the weekend journeys I always promised myself?
Would I rather convert a mini and use all my pennies saved on fuel for my weekends away in the Capri?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Lots of people have built electric cars from standard ones. The MGF is a nice one.

http://www.evalbum.com/

Still don't float my boat though, reminds me of the old Express Dairy milk float that used to deliver our milk.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Recharging won't be the issue it is now as Tesla are working on replacement power packs that will swap in two minutes - also handy for those tractors. Battery life has also been cracked, tests show that batteries from the first ev cars are still operational after ten years but regardless of this, recycling will be big business for duff power packs.
As for oil/petrol I suspect the huge drop in demand as solar & wind power take over from oil / gas power stations and battery power takes over in highway transport will mean plenty of fuel for old cars. As long as we want to use cars then someone will sell the fuel for them. I'm still tempted to stick a chunky oil burner in a Capri with an old mechanical injection pump - still plenty chip oil around :D
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

nigecapri wrote:Recharging won't be the issue it is now as Tesla are working on replacement power packs that will swap in two minutes - also handy for those tractors. Battery life has also been cracked, tests show that batteries from the first ev cars are still operational after ten years but regardless of this, recycling will be big business for duff power packs.
As for oil/petrol I suspect the huge drop in demand as solar & wind power take over from oil / gas power stations and battery power takes over in highway transport will mean plenty of fuel for old cars. As long as we want to use cars then someone will sell the fuel for them. I'm still tempted to stick a chunky oil burner in a Capri with an old mechanical injection pump - still plenty chip oil around :D
That is the positive to this; less chance of a fuel shortage for those of us who want to drive our classics. As long as they don't try and ban them of course....

I can sort you out a Gardner 5LW Nige if you're interested, only 100bhp but rather torquey! I actually did once see a Toyota pick up running a 4LW, it looked a bit nose heavy....
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

There's positives and negatives to all of this. ;)

Awaiting Nick's punny response in 3...2...1...
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

I 'll pass on that one ta much MJ :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Nick does bring a " spark " to this forum

:beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Nick does bring a " spark " to this forum

:beer:
The atmosphere is electric. :lol:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Is Nick a "conductor" or does he drive the bus (busbar?)
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Road vehicles produce, depending on where you read the statistics, 10, 12 or 15% of the country's CO2. Makes me wonder where the other 85% comes from personally.

I do know that a large coal fired power station burns 500 tonnes of coal an hour at peak time.

Sort of puts getting in your Capri and filling up with petrol in perspective doesn't it?

And what about the less developed countries like Thailand? There's no emissions control whatsoever. Everyone in Britain could scrap all of their cars tomorrow and it wouldn't make a shred of difference.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Shederic

Post by Shederic »

I'm enjoying the post, because not one person has the complete answer. Likewise not one person can make enough difference. Great hearing everyone's views.

Can I also comment that it takes approx. 12kw of electricity to refine one gallon of fuel. Bit of a waste of energy it could power a car from the start?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Shederic wrote:I'm enjoying the post, because not one person has the complete answer. Likewise not one person can make enough difference. Great hearing everyone's views.

Can I also comment that it takes approx. 12kw of electricity to refine one gallon of fuel. Bit of a waste of energy it could power a car from the start?
12kw well spent for the noise in my opinion! :lol: :D
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

D366Y wrote:12kw well spent for the noise in my opinion! :lol: :D
Danny I cant imagine you rolling up to a meet 'un-noticed' with a silent engine. How weird would this be.... :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
D366Y wrote:12kw well spent for the noise in my opinion! :lol: :D
Danny I cant imagine you rolling up to a meet 'un-noticed' with a silent engine. How weird would this be.... :lol:
Unnatural!! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: I cant imagine you rolling up to a meet 'un-noticed' with a silent engine. How weird would this be.... :lol:
Imagine QS with only electric vehicles..... :roll:
Part of the appeal is hearing the engines. It all adds to the atmosphere.

On a serious note, observe how many pedestrians in urban areas wander into the road without looking. They rely on the noise of vehicles
to tell them that something is coming. I wonder if silent vehicles will lead to an increase in the number of injuries?

Andrew.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

On a serious note, observe how many pedestrians in urban areas wander into the road without looking. They rely on the noise of vehicles
to tell them that something is coming. I wonder if silent vehicles will lead to an increase in the number of injuries?

Andrew.[/quote]

Especially if the daft bastards have their heads stuck in mobile phones and just assume, like many do today, that they have a God given right to cross just where and when they feel like it and stick their noses in the air as if to say "f**k you motorist!" The motorist always gets the blame for hitting the :wank:

With silent vehicles they will unfortunately have to bring in Jaywalking laws like in some other countries.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Paul G wrote:.

Andrew.
Paul G wrote: Especially if the daft bastards have their heads stuck in mobile phones and just assume, like many do today, that they have a God given right to cross just where and when they feel like it and stick their noses in the air as if to say "f**k you motorist!" The motorist always gets the blame for hitting the :wank:
They'll probably introduce a self braking feature so the car stops when this happens, so after your head hits the screen, they flip you the bird as they're walking away ordering pizza..