Tachometer rev counter wiring issue.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ccmp
Car(s): 1986 2.0s

Tachometer rev counter wiring issue.

Post by ccmp »

Hi I recently purchased a mark 3 Capri 2.0. Rev counter not working.
I've done a bit of reading and realise that there should be a green wire going from -side of coil to the tacho. I've checked with a meter. There is a black wire going from + side to a connector where it joins 3 green wires. One goes to tacho. However when I disconnect the 2 green wires there is still continuity with the other green.
So it's not as simple as swapping over to the - side of coil.
I'm afraid of doing damage or affecting running of the ignition circuit.
I can't find a proper wiring diagram.
Thanks in advance
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Tachometer rev counter wiring issue.

Post by Paul G »

I have posted an answer to your question on Capri Power, complete with wiring diagram.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Very helpful if you'd put that wiring diagram on here as well, if the dark side get it so should we!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I can't really put it on here, it's stored in their technical archive and the chap that took ages making the line drawings is a regular user of the site.

I don't mind putting a few things on but although I don't use CP as much these days, much friendlier lot on here, but nether the less I don't want to get banned for taking the wee wee.

The technical archive stuff alone is worth giving up your email address and password to become a member, as is a lot of the stuff on here.