End Of The Internal Combustion Engine?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

End Of The Internal Combustion Engine?

Post by pbar »

I take it most of us have seen the news, no more petrol/diesel cars by 2040. And it's possible for that date to be brought forward, In London there is a proposed levy on diesel cars from next year.

At least Capri prices will drop at last, there won't be any petrol stations so we can't run them!

Hopefully Labour will get in next time and abolish this. Otherwise go and get a Tesla now, as that will be the classic by then, how bizarre is that.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Re: End Of The Internal Combustion Engine?

Post by tejb1 »

The reports I've seen say no new petrol/diesel cars to be manufactured by this date. I'm sure petrol will still be available, but probably much more expensive. Also, it depends on how exemptions are set up - the proposed ULEZ in London discounts historic vehicles.

Either way, by the time this happens the youngest Capris will be 53 years old - I'd imagine that even the ones in regular use now will have retired to a garage to come out on a sunny day only and do about 500 miles per year.
pbar

Post by pbar »

tejb1 wrote:
Either way, by the time this happens the youngest Capris will be 53 years old
Yes, I thought that too, perhaps there won't be any left by then anyway.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I'll be 78 in 2040 so may be preparing to hang up my driving gloves by then or I'll be in a wooden box if I don't lose some weight and give up smoking!

I would imagine if any idiot government of whatever shade tried to ban cars then there would be riots in the streets and and illicit stills in every other back yard making an ethanol type hooch to run the cars on.

I doubt the oil companies would allow any government to do it either. I've no problem with electric cars as city runabouts but for any goverment to remove effectively what is most people's second biggest asset and deny them enjoyment of it is really asking for trouble.

Why don't they also make it compulsory to fit catalytic (cattlelytic?) converters to cows' backsides to reduce the emissions they emit - I read somewhere that they are nearly as much of a source of greenhouse gasses as cars.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

You'll still be able to buy it for classics (40+) year old cars. You can still buy leaded 4-star even though that was 'banned'. The prices will go up, but you'll still be able to get it.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote:Hopefully Labour will get in next time and abolish this.
What, when the guy in charge rides a bicycle? He's not going to be the saviour of the internal combustion engine.
Anyway, the French have made a similar announcement, Volvo have already thrown their hat in to the ring, Ford are obsessed with driverless technology. It's going to happen :(
However, like Paul G I would be 78 by then which is four years beyond the old man's life span so perhaps it won't be an issue for me. It will have to be a phased thing though so like Tom says petrol will still be about which would take me well in to my 80s after which I will probably be driving something small and battery powered anyway!

For our younger forum members - make the most of the next 20 years :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote:
He's not going to be the saviour of the internal combustion engine.
Oh yes, he will save us indeed :)

D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Peter-S wrote:
pbar wrote: For our younger forum members - make the most of the next 20 years :lol:
I'll be 48 in 2040 so will have to start stockpiling obscene amounts of petrol now and start a black market trade when the ban kicks in! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

D366Y wrote:
Peter-S wrote:
pbar wrote: For our younger forum members - make the most of the next 20 years :lol:
I'll be 48 in 2040 so will have to start stockpiling obscene amounts of petrol now and start a black market trade when the ban kicks in! :lol:
It seems Mad Max was onto something ..
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote:
Peter-S wrote:
He's not going to be the saviour of the internal combustion engine.
Oh yes, he will save us indeed :)

Good one Paul :lol:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

The name's Corbyn....Jeremy Corbyn.

As others have said this only applies to new cars not being made or exported to this country that run on fossil fuels, and i kind of agree with it in a sense because that shit is destroying this world and it all going to run out sooner or later anyway, that latter part is just a simple fact.

We'll still be able to run our regular cars, we'll have to. Theres millions of us that will still only have cars that run on either petrol or diesel and even more that wont be able to afford to buy a new electric, hydrogen or whatever car, unless the government is gonna give us money to go out and buy a brand new one that does, which i highly doubt (unless Corbyn's ultimate legacy still lives on).

I dont think we need to worry though, with the way Trump and May are going we wont be around to see this happen anyway, especially with the triggered tweeter in-chief with his finger on the nuclear launch button, and at the helm of the largest military on earth.

Covfefe.
Shederic
Car(s): Rescued a 2.8i shell for my first project

Post by Shederic »

Does the new legislation mean pure petrol/diesel outlawed?

Bearing in mind the government hasn't managed to electrify the entire rail network yet, Id assume we'll have hybrids running until we're all in the ground!

That said, a EV capri has already been done in Australia (mazda cab type), and you only have to google plasma boy racing or Zombie mustang 666 to see what some people have achieved converting classic cars ahead of the trend
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

It's. Madness in a jam jar . This government has not even thought it threw they worry every Xmas the lights will go out because we don't have that many power stations . What also burn coal .
Also I can't see me driving down to Cornwall and stopping every 2 to charge the car what takes 5 hrs to do another 2 hour drive .
Also I did check the date as I thought it may be April the 1st . I did watch Star Trek film where Kirk is a young boy at the start of the film and he was driving a petrol car so all should be fine . :beer:
If it was not raining here I would take the Capri out for a run ....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi All,
Don't forget that oil is not an infinite resource, there's only so much of it in the earth.....
I remember being taught in school that oil supplies would run out in 15-20 years, and that was 30 ish years ago! We should be thankful for the extra time we've had.
As long as we've got until 2040 and a few more years beyond, let's enjoy the time we've got with our petrol cars.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

What needs to happen is some genius needs to invent a generic hydrogen or efficient electric engine and drive train that can be retrofitted to any car.
Problem solved.
It will be cheaper than building and buying a whole car, and people get to keep their old cars. Classics will be able to stay on the road, and we can finally break the addiction to fossil fuels.
Tesla has proven he can make an electric car with the same performance and range as a supercar, so i reckon he'll be the one to crack it, if not someone else will figure it out they always do. But like i said, thats if we manage to survive that long as a species.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:Tesla has proven he can make an electric car
I'm sure he wasn't involved in car manufacturing..... :D
Seriously though, I agree that until a few years ago, electric cars weren't really a viable proposition in terms of performance and range, and it was Tesla that raised the ante.

Andrew.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

What hasn't been calculated is where the government is going to find the money to replace what it will NOT be getting in fuel taxes. Now that is a job for Mr Corbyn, providing he actually works out how much money he'll have to find before telling us his solution THIS time!

It will be the current 20-25 yrear olds who will be in the thick of this, doubt they'll get fooled again!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I intend taking my Grandchildren to lots of classic car shows, so they can experience the V6/V8 burble before it's too late :cry:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

God knows how you can bling up a electric car but the MOT should be easy also if you live in one of them pent houses in London like mandela house peckham how long will your lead have to be to re-charge them batteries............?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Amazing what you can buy on Gumtree...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/business-for- ... 1254325578

Not told Mrs Fordoholic Nick yet.... :wave:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...