Parcel shelf

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Alanb67
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6L

Parcel shelf

Post by Alanb67 »

Going to have a go at refurbing my parcel shelf. It's not in to bad condition, it bows a bit and is split at both sides where the hanging string holes are. I will repair those with some fibreglass. Has anyone any experience of refurbing a parcel shelf? If so what is the best paint to get to re spray it and what sort of adhesive is best to stick the carpet back on again......thanks.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Parcel shelf

Post by Paul G »

I would use Evo Stick or some similar contact adhesive for the carpet and the very famous (on this forum!) Halfords dark grey vinyl paint for painting over the repairs. (assuming your shelf is grey, black is also available)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
This spray adhesive is brilliant for sticking carpet.

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
This spray adhesive is brilliant for sticking carpet.

Andrew.
I'll give this a try too,I've used carpet spray glue on mine but it's lifting in places. Cheers Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprifan Rob wrote: I'll give this a try too,I've used carpet spray glue on mine but it's lifting in places.
Hi Rob,
It's what my mate in the trade uses, and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me!
I find that it works best if both surfaces are sprayed. Obviously, it's easy to spray the back of the carpet pieces but the shelf itself is more difficult. When I did mine, I made sure that I carefully masked off all the exposed surfaces on the shelf that I didn't want covered in adhesive.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I tried the same thing, using fibreglass to repair the shelf... Let me know how you get on with it, I found it really tough to get it to keep it's shape while it was drying so was better but not perfect once I'd finished.
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote: I'll give this a try too,I've used carpet spray glue on mine but it's lifting in places.
Hi Rob,
It's what my mate in the trade uses, and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me!
I find that it works best if both surfaces are sprayed. Obviously, it's easy to spray the back of the carpet pieces but the shelf itself is more difficult. When I did mine, I made sure that I carefully masked off all the exposed surfaces on the shelf that I didn't want covered in adhesive.

Andrew.
Good advice, I'll order some & give it a go, cheers Andrew.
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

Thanks for the replys. All good advice again. The spray glue looks the job.
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

D366Y wrote:I tried the same thing, using fibreglass to repair the shelf... Let me know how you get on with it, I found it really tough to get it to keep it's shape while it was drying so was better but not perfect once I'd finished.
My plan was to get it into shape before i started with the fibreglass. Not sute how i will do that. I'll get something rigged up.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I also had trouble with using fibreglass on the shelf ofd my last Capri. This time round I was planning on boding the underside shelf to thin plywood to reinforce it. After a few mins of looking at it and wondering though I just bit the bullet and paid CCI £ 60 for a new shelf.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Alanb67 wrote:
D366Y wrote:I tried the same thing, using fibreglass to repair the shelf... Let me know how you get on with it, I found it really tough to get it to keep it's shape while it was drying so was better but not perfect once I'd finished.
My plan was to get it into shape before i started with the fibreglass. Not sute how i will do that. I'll get something rigged up.
Not_Anumber wrote:I also had trouble with using fibreglass on the shelf ofd my last Capri. This time round I was planning on boding the underside shelf to thin plywood to reinforce it. After a few mins of looking at it and wondering though I just bit the bullet and paid CCI £ 60 for a new shelf.
Let me know how you get on rigging something up, the idea of plywood sounds a good one, the problem I had was that it was so used to being bent up at the corners it was pretty difficult to move it down at all...

Think I will try again at some point in the future but right now its not getting any worse so problem solved!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

D366Y wrote: Let me know how you get on rigging something up, the idea of plywood sounds a good one, the problem I had was that it was so used to being bent up at the corners it was pretty difficult to move it down at all...
Hi Danny, had same issue with my original shelf, corners bent up & big sag in middle. I did manage to get it back in shape by making a frame out of wood around the outside edge of the shelf then placing shelf on it upside down. I placed the spare wheel on it in the centre & left it in garage for 3 weeks. The shape is back perfect, was going to fibreglass it for originality but gave up & used a CCI one I'd already bought, as it was easier :D
Above tip worked though to get its shape back if that's any help.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
D366Y wrote: Let me know how you get on rigging something up, the idea of plywood sounds a good one, the problem I had was that it was so used to being bent up at the corners it was pretty difficult to move it down at all...
Hi Danny, had same issue with my original shelf, corners bent up & big sag in middle. I did manage to get it back in shape by making a frame out of wood around the outside edge of the shelf then placing shelf on it upside down. I placed the spare wheel on it in the centre & left it in garage for 3 weeks. The shape is back perfect, was going to fibreglass it for originality but gave up & used a CCI one I'd already bought, as it was easier :D
Above tip worked though to get its shape back if that's any help.
3 weeks!!?? :shock: I'll have to ask someone very kindly to borrow some garage or floor space in their house for it to sit there for a few weeks :lol: Great advice though so thanks! :)

Danny
Caprifan Rob

Post by Caprifan Rob »

D366Y wrote: 3 weeks!!?? :shock: I'll have to ask someone very kindly to borrow some garage space
:D you can throw it in mine if you like, I'll pic it up off you in Queen Square September, not sure when you'll get it back though .. :lol:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
D366Y wrote: 3 weeks!!?? :shock: I'll have to ask someone very kindly to borrow some garage space
:D you can throw it in mine if you like, I'll pic it up off you in Queen Square September, not sure when you'll get it back though .. :lol:
Thanks! :lol: Might have to trek over again to get it back as a Christmas gift to myself :lol:

Cheers
Danny
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

Parcel shelf refurbed. I got a piece of 4x2 wood and put the parcel shelf on top of it long ways and weighted each side down with mono blocks of all things. Sorted the cracks with fibreglass. Left it sitting for a couple of days hoping it would hold it's shape. It did to a certain extent, it's a lot better than it was. Rubbed the shelf down cleaned it up then painted it with dark Grey paint from halfords, which i thought would have been darker. Cleaned the carpet up with upholstery cleaner and glued them back on. Happy with the job. Not perfect but a lot better than it was. I will try to post a few pics of my handy work.