Door hinges

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Door hinges

Post by Arya2.0S »

Is there any adjustment on the door hinges?
I know you can adjust them at the A-pillar by the three bolts that hold the whole thing on, which are an utter PITA to get to if you have a dashboard in (at least on the drivers side they are due to the instrument cluster and air vent being in the way) but im talking about the actual hinges themselves?
My drivers side door drops a little when you open it, and i have checked and its not moving where the bolts are at the A-pillar, or on the actual door itself, the excess movement is coming from the actual hinges.
Can the pins be hammered out and replaced with new ones or can i add some sort of shim to take up slack in the hinge itself?
I think i have seen someone take their door off entirely at the hinges instead of at the A-pillar, but not sure how they did it.
My door drops so much that i have to bash it with my shoulder to open it sometimes, and its damaging the slam latch too, its very annoying.
Passenger side opens and shuts like it was brand new, but a lot of good that does me lol.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Door hinges

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:Can the pins be hammered out and replaced with new ones.
Yes. They do wear with use, so that may be the problem with yours.
http://capriclub.co.uk/hinge-pin

Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Can the pins be hammered out and replaced with new ones.
Yes. They do wear with use, so that may be the problem with yours.
http://capriclub.co.uk/hinge-pin

Andrew.
Ahh thats good to know. Thanks for that. Any idea how to get them out? Just a hammer and a hole punch or something narrow im assuming?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: Any idea how to get them out? Just a hammer and a hole punch or something narrow im assuming?
Hi,
I've not done the job myself on the Capri, however, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the doors (including hinges) have to be removed in order to change the pins. Yes, you need a hammer and some kind of drift to remove them.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

There's two types of hinge pins - solid or just a large roll pin. With the solid ones you can just about clout the top one out with a long drift but watch your paintwork but the bottom would require removing the door. The roll pin type are easiest removed with one of these tools.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS801- ... Sw~y9ZAl1N

My Laser has the solid ones. When I took the door off I tapped out the top pins and unbolted the bottom one from inside.
Tickford Man
Car(s): Tickford + 3 x 2.8i

Post by Tickford Man »

I changed hinge pin ages ago, was a git of a job and the new one was just as loose....

Easier to do with the door off the car so you need to get to those 13mm nuts in the A posts.

In my case, it turned out the metal 'collar' either side of the middle hinge part had worn away so much from years of wobbling, so in the end had to fit a washer/shim to close the gap anyway...worked ok in the end. If its been dropped a while it will probably also have taken a gouge out of your striker plate on the B post.

I have good solid (used) hinges and in gouged striker plates if needed, but if you have got it in time, yours should be ok