Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by pbar »

Caprifan Rob wrote:don't remember those extras off 'Last of the Summer Wine' with the buckets though ;)
They're too young for Last Of The Summer Wine :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:I remember well
Great pics Jason :) There is something about photo's taken back then, they have a magical charm to them. They are not perfect but they have that 'something'. Like the effects in Jason & The Argonauts are not perfect but they still have that something which makes it better than the perfect CGI of modern films.

Best way I could think of expressing my point!
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
Always got car sick when I was young
Me too!

Speaking of '76, there was a British poll (may have been governed by ITV, something like that), not too long ago, where they asked people to vote for the best British year ever, taking everything into account, weather, feelgood factor, films, sports, music, etc. And 1976 won, as the best ever British year.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Year I left school. Blistering hot summer, Southampton beat Man U in the FA Cup final.
pbar

Post by pbar »

This reminds me of the coach which used to take us all swimming from school. These seats were really comfy!

andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:This reminds me of the coach which used to take us all swimming from school. These seats were really comfy!

Have done a few miles in one of those :D
Probably looks similar to this https://llanishenhistory.files.wordpres ... w2edit.jpg
pbar

Post by pbar »

Good stuff Andy :) See them at car/transport shows sometimes, often they even let you get on!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Must have had loads of these, very popular they were. The anticipation of opening it up and putting it together to fly was often far better than the flying!

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Must have had loads of these, very popular they were. The anticipation of opening it up and putting it together to fly was often far better than the flying!

Never that exciting were they? Unless the wind caught them......Finest Polystyrene :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote:Image
How weird is this Paul. We are down in Doniford Bay, Somerset this week staying in a caravan and we watched one of the 'old' dvd films in the drawer yesterday and the kid in the film had one of these slot together planes but in thin wood and I was saying to the missus how I used to have one...then I seen you post up this here..... :lol:

Am sure I had a thin wooden one too as well as this 'lightweight' version :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andy - I too don't think that they were great at flying, it didn't stop me from buying them though :)

Nick - That is spooky! Which film was it, anything good?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote:Nick - That is spooky! Which film was it, anything good?
Paul it was a film called Taming Andrew made in 2000. A young lad who lives happily with his Mum and Stepdad gets abducted by his abusive biological Dad and his dads girlfriend and then finally gets returned to his Mum and Stepdad 5yrs later and is very different young lad as he was not treated very well. He loved his little wooden 'slot together' plane before he was abducted and it was still in his bedroom when he returned. This did bring a tear to my eye... :crying:

In answer to your initial question Paul....nope not a very good film really with some very dodgy acting indeed and annoying background music, but the plane brought back some memories :wave: :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Nick, doesn't sound too bad a film, at least there is a story there and not just an effects bonanza like most seem to be now.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Christ I remember them planes I think they only cost 20p or something yes I had great fun running up stairs and throwing the plane out the top window .

Funny how the mind keeps things like that but I have trouble remembering where I put things now . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:Christ I remember them planes I think they only cost 20p or something yes I had great fun running up stairs and throwing the plane out the top window .

Funny how the mind keeps things like that but I have trouble remembering where I put things now . :beer:
I think that is evidence of just how much joy some things (even as simple as these planes) can bring, compared to the 'joy' of the modern complicated age!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:Christ I remember them planes I think they only cost 20p or something yes I had great fun running up stairs and throwing the plane out the top window .

I think that is evidence of just how much joy some things (even as simple as these planes) can bring, compared to the 'joy' of the modern complicated age!
:agree: Always outdoors if possible or simple stuff indoors, Matchbox cars, colouring books, Action Men etc.
Now everything has a battery or plug on it :doh:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote: Now everything has a battery or plug on it :doh:
Nothing wrong with good old clockwork toys, no batteries required :)
https://www.fotolibra.com/buyer/purchas ... _id=420021
pbar wrote:This reminds me of the coach which used to take us all swimming from school. These seats were really comfy!

The pattern on those seats must have disguised child sick very well on those school trips.. :D
andyd

Post by andyd »

Who else remembers https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebo ... 8398746478
2 Gallons of 4 Star please :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Good pic Andy, and how civilised they are! Modern stations seem to be anything but.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Good pic Andy, and how civilised they are! Modern stations seem to be anything but.
:agree: Paul.
Petrol Stations are now mini Supermarkets :doh: