Mk3 " chromed plastic"

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Mk3 " chromed plastic"

Post by Arnoldhar »

Guys, does anyone know anybody who can re-chrome the plastic fittings on the internal door handles. I believe its chrome and they put a conductive solution on the plastic to allow the chroming process to take place, however i could be wrong. If Fords and other manufactures did it back in the day someone must still be able to do it but i cant find anyone
Thanks
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Mk3 " chromed plastic"

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
It might be helpful if you let people know what area of the country you are in.

Have you thought about buying replacement secondhand items, or are they hard to come by?

Andrew.
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

I am in Kent, distance is no object as they can be posted. As for finding perfect secondhand ones so far its impossible i really need NOS as i want them to be perfect, its one of the last bits to finish on my car. Probably the only solution is to find someone to chrome
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arnoldhar wrote:As for finding perfect secondhand ones so far its impossible
The same as for all other Capri parts then! :lol:

Try a Google search. I found these people in Kent:
http://www.astrachrome.co.uk/en/

Andrew.
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

thanks but thats a spray paint, have tried before
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I have some extensive experience with "chroming" plastic, as i used to chrome piece for models i used to make and sell on commission.

Theres various different techniques you can use, with the most effective and best solution also being the most expensive and difficult to do.
I have had great results with chrome spray paints, however the pieces need to be literally flawless before they are painted and almost never touched again, its purely for show.
Its a long and extensive process too, requiring a flawless black base and various coats of the chrome before you can lacquer it, which also has to be a certain "special" type or else it will just eat away at the shine from the chrome layer.

Even then it isnt the most durable of finishes, and is prone to chipping and scratching very easily and theres no way to "polish" it out, it has to be completely stripped and re-done so not good for something like a car thats always exposed to the elements and some level of wear and tear, especially something like a door handle.

The most expensive but most durable solution is to have them "vacuum metalized", which is basically what you mentioned. The parts are put inside a vacuum, witchcraft happens, and then a chrome coating is what you are left with.
It looks good, but again can be prone to a myriad of flaws such as wavey lines in the chrome etc. I had some plastic pieces professionally done and though they looked great they weren't flawless and they cost a pretty penny to boot.

Ultimately theres no sure fire way to chrome plastic in house without there being potential issues (granted its been a few years since ive done it so there might be new products out that make things easier), and certainly no way to do it at home without things like compressors and air brushes (or if you want to spend a fortune buying one of these vacuums) and a lot of patience.

There are companies that do it based off a quick google search, but its likely to be pretty expensive and is it really worth the cost vs the gains?

http://www.vmclimited.co.uk/

http://www.apmetalising.co.uk/index.php
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

Thanks for the reply, it would be nice to know the process that Fords did use. Have tried the chrome spray and that didn't work and your right it was expensive, it bubbled and flaked, company in `Basildon done it. `so maybe the next thing to do is try the VM method so i will give those companies a call tomorrow
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Arnoldhar wrote:Thanks for the reply, it would be nice to know the process that Fords did use. Have tried the chrome spray and that didn't work and your right it was expensive, it bubbled and flaked, company in `Basildon done it. `so maybe the next thing to do is try the VM method so i will give those companies a call tomorrow
Heh, no wonder it wasnt very good if someone in Basildon did it! lol

It can give a nice finish and last if its done right, i spent months and many many many attempts before i "mastered" the technique for modelling purposes but as i said even then under certain circumstances it still wasn't very durable (never flaked or bubbled though) and was only good for show.

VM is definitely the way to go for any kind of lasting practical application but be prepared to pay for it. As i said its been a long time since i looked into it so maybe the prices have come down since then?
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

I'm showing huge amounts of ignorance here, particularly as it sounds like you're doing concours, but is there not some way of chrome painting and applying a transparent laminate/vinyl wrap type cover so that you have the look with protection for the finish?