Rear inner wheel arch repairs

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
capri28
Car(s): Rosso Red Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Daily driver)
Stratos Silver Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Summer driver)

Rear inner wheel arch repairs

Post by capri28 »

What is the best method of repairing the inner rear wheel arch lips?

Cheers
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Rear inner wheel arch repairs

Post by Major_Tom »

It's a bit of a pain. It's been a while since I've been in there, but from what I remember you've got two skins of metal there. Depending on the degree of rust and how deep it goes you may have to strip out some of the sound deadening foam to safely weld. And getting that foam out is a right bastard job.. unless someone knows something I don't!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Rear inner wheel arch repairs

Post by Paul G »

capri28 wrote:What is the best method of repairing the inner rear wheel arch lips?

Cheers
I'm doing one at the minute. Used a second wheel arch and cut that about then welded on to the remains of the inner lip. It's OK till you get down to the area where the nut for the side moulding is, then it's just cut and shape as best as you can to get an inner lip.

When I get on to my S, I may buy the outer wheel houses from express panels. They are about the only correctly shaped repair section for the inner arches available but they are a rather pricey way of doing it.