Mk3 Capri radio wiring

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
hoobymeister
Car(s): 84' Ford Capri 1.6 (Daily driver)
Ginetta G4/S4 (two of)

Mk3 Capri radio wiring

Post by hoobymeister »

Hi all,

My mk3 Capri has a later Ford stereo (late 80's/early 90's) fitted which seems to be permanently live. I've bought the ISO leads so I can install a modern setup but there seems to be no power. Therefore I need to get to the bottom of the wiring.

The wiring at the back of the later Ford stereo has the aerial wire, stereo wiring blocks which clip to the ISO leads and a circular cable which I assume is power.

Does anyone have a picture of the wiring to the back of a standard Capri stereo? My intention is to junk the redundant bodge wiring, and put it back to standard with the switched live for modern stereo.

Thanks for the assistance,

Dean
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Mk3 Capri radio wiring

Post by pbar »

You most likely already know, but the modern stereo will still have the permanent live, otherwise radio stations and other info will all be lost each time the ignition is off.
hoobymeister
Car(s): 84' Ford Capri 1.6 (Daily driver)
Ginetta G4/S4 (two of)

Post by hoobymeister »

Hi pbar,

Sorry yes, I should clarify - the current radio screen etc. is powered on despite key off.

I understand that a modern radio will require perm live for memory purposes, but not power screen, functions etc.

Regards

Dean
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

In case you dont have them these are the colours for the wires on an ISO connector

Speakers:
Left Front + White
Left Front - White/black
Right Front + Grey
Right Front - Grey/black
Left Rear + Green
Left Rear - Green/black
Right Rear + Violet
Right Rear - violet/black

Battery Main (permanent live) Yellow
Ground Black
Switched live (ignition/ accessories) Red
Electric aerial Blue
Dash lights Orange/white
Phone muting Brown
Handbrake Orange
CCD input for instant on White/red

The dash light + can be picked up from either connection at the back of the dimmer on the dashboard. Its just there to dim the radio display when you have your lights on but IMHO worth the 5 mins it takes to wire this in.