Securon pn 254 rear seatbelts how to fit with photos attached . Page 2

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Securon pn 254 rear seatbelts how to fit with photos attached . Page 2

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi folks , managed to fit my rear seatbelts in my 2 litre laser , I have added photos of whats all involved to help anyone who is going to be fitting the same ones .

I tried to find photos online off the anchor points at the back of the boot panel but no luck ! So I hope that anyone else looking for them will see them on my photos .

Alex
Last edited by caprikid61 on Mon May 15, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Securon pn 254 rear seatbelts (please help)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

caprikid61 wrote:Hi folks , I have spent most of the day trying to fit rear seatbelts to my mk 3 laser but cant seem to figure out what way the reel sits ? Does anyone have any photos of there rear seatbelts so I can see how they fit . Cheers Alex
Hi Alex,
With original belts, there is a locating peg on the reel housing that locates into a hole in the body. This ensures that they are fitted at the correct angle, as the mechanism won't function properly if that's not the case.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat May 13, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Cheers Andrew but there dosnt seem to be no locating peg , there is just a few holes in the plate at the back of the reel. I am guessing that the reel sits long ways with to one bolt that fits into the tread that already there? .

Alex
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The only info I can find is on the Securon website, but I guess you've already read the fitting instructions?

http://www.securon.co.uk/fitting/extras/254fitting.htm

Andrew.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Yep I have the instuctions here so gonna have another look to see if I can wirk it all out . Cheers for the info though , will let you know how I get on . I would post some photos for you to see but have never managed to figure out how to post them on here :banghead: .
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Re: Securon pn 254 rear seatbelts (please help) photo attached

Post by caprikid61 »

Last edited by caprikid61 on Sat May 13, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
You need an account with a photo hosting website, such as Photobucket, to post photos on this forum.
This tutorial explains everything you need to know:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33174

Andrew.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
You need an account with a photo hosting website, such as Photobucket, to post photos on this forum.
This tutorial explains everything you need to know:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33174

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew I will have a try again I sent a link to a photo a few mins ago but I am guessing it never worked? Cheers
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

caprikid61 wrote:Thanks Andrew I will have a try again I sent a link to a photo a few mins ago but I am guessing it never worked? Cheers
Hi,
Yes, the link to the photo works now.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
caprikid61 wrote:Hi folks , I have spent most of the day trying to fit rear seatbelts to my mk 3 laser but cant seem to figure out what way the reel sits ? Does anyone have any photos of there rear seatbelts so I can see how they fit . Cheers Alex
Hi Alex,
With original belts, there is a locating peg on the reel housing that locates into a hole in the body. This ensures that they are fitted at the correct angle, as the mechanism won't function properly if that's not the case.

Andrew.
I've been meaning to ask about this for ages; I fitted aftermarket belts many moons ago that didn't have a locating peg, that has now broken so purchased another one from Martin (CapriGear) that does have a locating peg, but I don't seem to have a hole for said peg without drilling into the plastic which I don' really want to do....

Any ideas??

But yes your description here is right, as these sound like what I fitted
caprikid61 wrote:Cheers Andrew but there dosnt seem to be no locating peg , there is just a few holes in the plate at the back of the reel. I am guessing that the reel sits long ways with to one bolt that fits into the tread that already there? .

Alex
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi Danny , Im with you on this on I cant find this hole or spike anywhere !! So as the reel is ajustable I am just going to adust it until it workes and take it from there.

I managed to get a link to my photo of the reel in place a few posts back on this topic but cant seem to send the photo ! Can you or anybody that knows how to do it open the photo for me and put it on here ? I am away to start working on it again so will take more photos as I go along so in the future it might help others trying to fit these rear belts.

Cheers Alex
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

IIRC, the locating peg and spike are on the seatbelt housing themselves. They fit into some holes drilled into the back of the c-pillar (thats what that bit is called isnt it?), at least thats how mine were.
I had to line them up perfectly, then it was just a case of doing the bolt up. The spike on the seatbelt thingy slots into one of them and stops the whole thing twisting when you torque up the bolt.
Is it possible yours did not come with these, as they do tend to fall off, again at least mine did. Despite having mounted them perfectly one of mine refuses to unlock so its completely unusable despite being in the right position and everything so it must be broken, but the other side works fine.
They are finicky things, they only have to be a tiny bit out of position and they wont work at all.

Also, heres your photo:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

As requested

Image20170513_203638 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Arya2.0S wrote:
IIRC, the locating peg and spike are on the seatbelt housing themselves. They fit into some holes drilled into the back of the c-pillar (thats what that bit is called isnt it?), at least thats how mine were.

Despite having mounted them perfectly one of mine refuses to unlock so its completely unusable despite being in the right position and everything so it must be broken, but the other side works fine.
They are finicky things, they only have to be a tiny bit out of position and they wont work at all.
Looking at it, these seatbelts don't actually have the locating hook as they are after-market. I had the same issues you mentioned about the thing refusing to unlock which is why I sought to get another and the one I got from martin was obviously an original as it does have the locating peg.7

Back to the problem at hand though, it looks like you need to rotate it slightly, it doesn't sit exactly flat/level, it tilts slightly, almost in line with the boot shut line. At least mine is like that.

Try that?

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:

Despite having mounted them perfectly one of mine refuses to unlock so its completely unusable despite being in the right position and everything so it must be broken, but the other side works fine.
Looking at it, these seatbelts don't actually have the locating hook as they are after-market. I had the same issues you mentioned about the thing refusing to unlock which is why I sought to get another and the one I got from Martin was obviously an original as it does have the locating peg.

Back to the problem at hand though, it looks like you need to rotate it slightly, it doesn't sit exactly flat/level, it tilts slightly, almost in line with the boot shut line. At least mine is like that.

Try that?

Danny
Last edited by D366Y on Sun May 14, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

lol, seems we were both typing a response with the picture attached at the same time. Beat ya to it though :P
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:lol, seems we were both typing a response with the picture attached at the same time. Beat ya to it though :P
I noticed, and in my stupidity trying to avoid duplicating it, I pressed all the wrong buttons and quoted my own ruddy comment so haven't helped at all :lol:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

D366Y wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:lol, seems we were both typing a response with the picture attached at the same time. Beat ya to it though :P
I noticed, and in my stupidity trying to avoid duplicating it, I pressed all the wrong buttons and quoted my own ruddy comment so haven't helped at all :lol:
Heehee, sounds like something i would do. :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:They are finicky things, they only have to be a tiny bit out of position and they wont work at all
That might be true of the original belts, however, according to the Securon website theirs can be mounted at any angle, but they must be adjusted to operate correctly.

Andrew.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Been trying for hours now to post the photos I got today while fitting the rear seatbelts :oops: but no luck I only have a mobile so photobucket dosnt seem to work. Does anyone have an email address that I can send the photos to so they can post them on here for me ?? Cheers Alex
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »