Single leaf spring pads

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Single leaf spring pads

Post by Paul G »

Can anyone confirm that single leaf rear springs just have one pad that sits under the spring between it and the u - bolt shackle plate. It's only the multileafs that have two pads. Just been looking at those on my Laser and wasn't sure.

Also, should the rear hanger shackles should just have bolts through them? I thought the pins were attached to the shackle. If that is the case has anyone got a second hand shackle going cheap?

Not having a good day, just found more welding to do up in the rear wheel arch. Got to dismantle the inside of the car to do it safely. Ho Hum. Didn't want to do that!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Single leaf spring pads

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Paul,
You're correct about the shackles, the pins are attached to each one and are fastened by a nut.
ImageFord Capri Spring Shackles by Andrew 2.8i, on Flickr

Interestingly, the photo above has over 100 views on Flickr. It has the word shackles in the title, I wonder if people are viewing it thinking it's some kind of S&M thing...... :lol:

As far as I'm aware, the single leafs don't have any pads at all. The spring attaches directly to the saddle plate.

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I'm with Andrew, no pads at all on single leafs.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Thanks Gents for the replies. What threw me is that CCi are listing a pad for single leafs.

http://capriclub.co.uk/suspension-handl ... -superflex

Better get a shackle ordered from someone - don't need one in the condition of yours Andrew - nothing on my car is that good. It certainly won't be getting any prizes through the sunroof.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Paul G wrote:Thanks Gents for the replies. What threw me is that CCi are listing a pad for single leafs.

http://capriclub.co.uk/suspension-handl ... -superflex

Better get a shackle ordered from someone - don't need one in the condition of yours Andrew - nothing on my car is that good. It certainly won't be getting any prizes through the sunroof.
Should have gone to spec savers?

Does actually say multi leaf in the text for that item Paul :)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Cheers Peter

Don't know about Specsavers, catching senility off my mum more like!

Strange that my springs have rubber pads on though, now don't know whether just to remove them. Was just looking at the flow flex website and they only list them for the multi - leafs. I know a lot of people knock flow flex but my experiences with them on other cars has been very positive. And they're cheap.

Paul.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote: I know a lot of people knock flow flex but my experiences with them on other cars has been very positive. And they're cheap.
Am I missing something here, is there a reason for the significant price difference? For the spring pads, Flo Flex are a third of the price of the equivalent SuperFlex items. From what I can see, both companies are UK based, so the reason for the price difference can't be import tax, exchange rate or anything like that.
Paul G wrote:Strange that my springs have rubber pads on though, now don't know whether just to remove them.
Why have them there if they're not supposed to be there?

Andrew.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

I've heard people knocking flow flex bushes but I fitted them to the front of my old Skoda Fabia VRS (it had 315Nm or 237lb of torque - more than any Capri!) which used to knock out the rubber wishbone bushes annually and it stopped all the torque steer. They've been in it for 8 years now (my mate bought the car from me when I bought the Octavia VRS) and haven't given trouble. I've also fitted them in a MK5 Golf rear axle beam bushes and the same in a KA and all seemed fine.

I can only speak from experience and I've decided to order a complete set for the Laser, I'll see how they go and report back on the forum. If they're OK, they will be going in the 3.0S as well.

As far a for the spring pad bushes on the Laser I've taken them off this morning. Just got to get a rear hanger shackle now.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote: Just got to get a rear hanger shackle now.
I think I saw some on Martin's stand at the Nationals. It might be worth giving him a call as they're quite expensive to buy new.
http://capriclub.co.uk/suspension-handl ... hackle-set

Andrew.