Incurable wheel wobble (CURED!!)

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Incurable wheel wobble

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote: it's more accurate than using the Supermarket tyre inflating machines......
That might have been the case when the gauge was near the end of the pipe and it could have been thrown around and generally abused by careless users. A lot of petrol stations now use those tyre inflators that you set the required pressure in the actual machine housing and it switches off automatically once reached. I find those to be quite accurate.
Although, obviously, it's best to check the pressures when the tyres are cold.

Andrew.
Our local Sainsburys petrol station has one of those machines that is free to use, I go there if I want to inflate my storage tyres that may have become quite flat over the winter, and it is pretty accurate, but mostly use my footpump at home now for regular checks as that seems accurate too.

I use one of these Halfords pressure and tread depth http://i1.adis.ws/i/washford/239116?w=637&h=403 And they are good.
The Sainsburys near me has one also, however it is always either broken down, or as is the case currently completely and utterly decimated by vandals. They haven't bothered repairing it since, despite having a CCTV camera pointing right at it. Usually theyd get it fixed quite quickly but i guess they're not gonna bother this time. I used to use it when it worked and it was great, shame people have to ruin everything for others.
Now i have to go to Tesco's and pay for sodding air.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Arya2.0S wrote:
The Sainsburys near me has one also, however it is always either broken down, or as is the case currently completely and utterly decimated by vandals. They haven't bothered repairing it since, despite having a CCTV camera pointing right at it. Usually theyd get it fixed quite quickly but i guess they're not gonna bother this time. I used to use it when it worked and it was great, shame people have to ruin everything for others.
Now i have to go to Tesco's and pay for sodding air.
I bet the :wank: that destroyed it never used it so it's no loss to them :twak:

I hate paying for air.......:spank:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I hate paying for air.......:spank:
:agree: It doesn't seem right, does it?
OK, it costs the petrol station to run and maintain the machine, however, motorists won't be going to the garage just to use the free air as they'll most likely be spending money in the shop too.

For £30 or so, I bought a small compressor with a digital gauge, and that allows me to check my tyre pressures weekly without any hassle.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I hate paying for air.......:spank:
:agree: It doesn't seem right, does it?
OK, it costs the petrol station to run and maintain the machine, however, motorists won't be going to the garage just to use the free air as they'll most likely be spending money in the shop too.

For £30 or so, I bought a small compressor with a digital gauge, and that allows me to check my tyre pressures weekly without any hassle.

Andrew.
Weekly :o
For the time it takes it's worth it I suppose :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Weekly :o
It's worth taking the time to check, as the tyres are the only things keeping the car on the road...........

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Weekly :o
It's worth taking the time to check, as the tyres are the only things keeping the car on the road...........

Andrew.
:agree: Probably the most important parts on a car.....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Probably the most important parts on a car.....
Along with the cause of most accidents.....the nut holding the steering wheel! :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote: Probably the most important parts on a car.....
Along with the cause of most accidents.....the nut holding the steering wheel! :lol:
How true :)
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Small update on this: After replacing a slightly dodgy bearing and the knackered old strut top mount, i still have an immense wheel wobble and vibration in the car.
Went to Southampton and back and the ride was atrocious, and when we got stuck in traffic on the motorway and could only coast at 10 mph i could literally feel the car wobbling like i was rolling on oblong wheels. You cant usually feel this on normal roads around town as everything is too bumpy and uneven anyway, but im a perfectly smooth and level stretch of motorway you can really feel that something is wrong here.
I can only assume at this stage that the small "bump" the two tyre shops noticed when attempting to balance the wheels means that the tyres are infact defective and not fully round. This is the only thing it can be as all suspension components on the car are perfectly fine now.
I am pursuing a refund from the seller of the tyres through eBay/PayPal since they are obviously defective and this is ridiculous.
Im almost tempted to get rid of the new alloys too as alternative tyres to the ones i have already bought (205/60r13 Nankang Econex) are few and far between, and the rest are way out of my budget.
andyd

Post by andyd »

I wasn't aware the tyres may be deformed....Thats the problem imo.

:goodluck: With a refund
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Bloody hell, this is getting silly, you poor man!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: a perfectly smooth and level stretch of motorway
Blimey, where did you manage to find one of those? :lol:

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:I wasn't aware the tyres may be deformed....Thats the problem imo.

:goodluck: With a refund
Both tyre places that attempted to balance the wheels and tyres noted there was a slight "hump" on each one, though none said it was definitively whats causing the issue, and i just forgot to mention it.
I figured if the tyres were at the correct PSI then the weight of the car would "squash" any small hump there might be, but obviously this is wrong and i wanted to eliminate every other possibility first as getting a refund and replacing the tyres was the worst case scenario.

(oh, and finding anyplace near me that has a Road Force balancing machine is nigh on impossible, as nobody responds to emails and i refuse to call by phone just on principal!)

Unfortunately theres almost literally no choice when it comes to this tyre size (205/60r13), only other brand thats within my budget (if i get a refund) are Maxxis, everything else is far too expensive. So i either wait for a refund, try this other budget brand and run the same risk as before i.e. going with a budget brand literally means your tyres arent even round, or i totally forget this alloy wheel idea and sell the wheels too and go back to the crappy original 4-spokes, which i still need to source new tyres for anyway (but theres more choice of tyres to go with at least).
Major_Tom wrote:Bloody hell, this is getting silly, you poor man!
Welcome to my life. Everything is shit and nothing ever goes right.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: a perfectly smooth and level stretch of motorway
Blimey, where did you manage to find one of those? :lol:

Andrew.
Just outside of Southampton on the M3 actually. People were causing a 3-mile tailback because they HAD to rubberneck a couple of vans that were parked on the hard shoulder (completely out of the way of traffic) that were transferring a load because one had broken down.

People are idiots.
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

Have you tried swapping the front wheels to the rear and vice versa?
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

A17 LTF wrote:Have you tried swapping the front wheels to the rear and vice versa?
Yep. Put the rears on the front and vice versa, same exact result. I have not tried putting say...the front right on the rear left etc, but i doubt it will help and i cant exactly just go outside and take the wheels off whenever i want as i dont have a workshop or the right tools at home so its not really practical as i have to go for a 10-minute drive round to my dads house every time i want to do something like that as he's the one with the tools and an empty space to do stuff in.
Where i park at my flat theres no room and its on a slight incline too so not great for jacking motors up.
Only thing thats conclusive is if i put my old 4-spokes back on with their 10+ year old budget tyres this steering wheel wobble goes away almost entirely, as does the majority of the other vibrations i feel running through the car that i feel with these current tyres on.
I mean, when your wife who is sitting in the passenger seat is mentioning how the vibrations are making her feel... lets just use the word "funny" in her velvet triangle region on the motorway at high speeds and her boobs are wobbling from side to side like they were on that flat stretch of motorway that i mentioned, SOMETHING is clearly wrong! Not that those particular symptoms are bad necessarily, but its still a sign that something isnt quite right. lol. :lol: :lol: :xd:
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Arya2.0S wrote: I mean, when your wife who is sitting in the passenger seat is mentioning how the vibrations are making her feel... lets just use the word "funny" in her velvet triangle region on the motorway at high speeds and her boobs are wobbling from side to side
And you are saying this is a problem?
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Arya2.0S wrote:Welcome to my life. Everything is shit and nothing ever goes right.
You have a lot further to fall and a lot more pain to endure carrying around an attitude like that.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Noel wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: I mean, when your wife who is sitting in the passenger seat is mentioning how the vibrations are making her feel... lets just use the word "funny" in her velvet triangle region on the motorway at high speeds and her boobs are wobbling from side to side
And you are saying this is a problem?
I thought Capris did this as standard?!
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Major_Tom wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Welcome to my life. Everything is shit and nothing ever goes right.
You have a lot further to fall and a lot more pain to endure carrying around an attitude like that.
In a sense, you are right, however based on my experience simply changing attitudes and "thinking" do absolutely nothing to change the world around us or what happens. Thats like saying if i think hard enough about it i can make a glass of water levitate in the air, which is utter nonsense obviously.(Unless you are Luke Skywalker?)

The universe is a huge, complex, infinite domain of chaos and one tiny insignificant firing of a synapses in my brain to "change" its chemical structure and make me "think" differently about something thus changing my attitude isn't gonna make the least bit of difference to it.

Still...could be worse, i could have voted for Trump! :lol: