Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by pbar »

Those collector's cards were brilliant! They really had that something about them which just made you want them. As well as those cigarette sweets ones, you had the bubblegum ones of course, and the ones that came in packs of tea bags.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Those collector's cards were brilliant! They really had that something about them which just made you want them. As well as those cigarette sweets ones, you had the bubblegum ones of course, and the ones that came in packs of tea bags.
I have one of these too https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict ... -medal.jpg
pbar

Post by pbar »

Oh yes, I remember those :)
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote:Those collector's cards were brilliant! They really had that something about them which just made you want them. As well as those cigarette sweets ones, you had the bubblegum ones of course, and the ones that came in packs of tea bags.
My old mum's got a complete set of the PG Tips cards somewhere, I'll try and look them out. I only remember the Bazooka Joe bubblegum with the stick- on tattoos that used to come in the packet.

My memories of sweets were fruit salads and black jacks. They were 1d each. Mum used to give us sixpence now and again to get some at the local shop on the way home from school. When decimalisation came they became 1/2p each and sixpence was 2 1/2p. Went in the shop after decimalisation (15th Feb 1971 if I remember right!) and my 2 1/2 p would only buy 5 black jacks. Was really upset - 20% inflation over night. Getting ready to join the bloody EU caused that!

Doubt if prices will go down 20% when we leave it though!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Paul G wrote:[
My old mum's got a complete set of the PG Tips cards somewhere, I'll try and look them out.
I have a couple or three I believe - History of Aviation, Saga of Ships and a Prehistoric animals one. I'm sure they are still around. The aviation one I can remember trading cards at school with other kids a bit like Americans and baseball cards I suppose but on a smaller scale!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:
My memories of sweets were fruit salads and black jacks!
Legendary sweets those :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

I never actually had these, but many did back then, always reading about Dennis The Menace and the like setting them off in the comics. One was let off in assembly in my junior school once, good times!

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:I never actually had these, but many did back then, always reading about Dennis The Menace and the like setting them off in the comics. One was let off in assembly in my junior school once, good times!

As you, I never actually used them, but have been in the area when someone has......Bloody awful smell :lol:

This was strange stuff :) http://goodtoknow.media.ipcdigital.co.u ... t-crop.jpg

Got a modern version a few years ago, don't think it's as strong as it was......Gave a bit to the dogs, made them rub their faces on the mat :lol:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Goodness me yes the smell is terrible!

Space dust, that's another curio from back then, the name alone made you just want to try it.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Space dust, that's another curio from back then, the name alone made you just want to try it.
These certainly did :lol: http://nostalgiacentral.com/wp-content/ ... kwind6.jpg :guitar:
pbar

Post by pbar »

What a group! They had their own dancer didn't they (Stacia, think that's her in the pic), and had concerts which lasted all night. And probably still do.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:What a group! They had their own dancer didn't they (Stacia, think that's her in the pic), and had concerts which lasted all night. And probably still do.
Stacia Blake https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... cb5399.jpg
She was a bookbinder by trade, but was working as a petrol pump attendant in Cornwall when she joined the band.....The mind boggles :)

I saw them in the Bristol Hippodrome in 1985 supported by Dumpy's Rusty Nuts :D :D
pbar

Post by pbar »

They obviously spotted certain assets which she would bring to the group :)

I've got a silver machine.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:They obviously spotted certain assets which she would bring to the group :)

I've got a silver machine.
:D Good old Lemmy
pbar

Post by pbar »

Come on now, don't be shy. Own up, who used to wear these -

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Come on now, don't be shy. Own up, who used to wear these -

What do you mean used to..... :lol:

Yes I remember them :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

I hope you don't wear the same ones Andy, you can only turn them inside out so many times you know :)
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:I hope you don't wear the same ones Andy, you can only turn them inside out so many times you know :)
Really :o That would explain things :whistle:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Road workers can't seem to manage these days without portaloos, cabins, supervisor offices, and a myriad of equipment. But for years, they coped perfectly well, with just this!

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Road workers can't seem to manage these days without portaloos, cabins, supervisor offices, and a myriad of equipment. But for years, they coped perfectly well, with just this!

A time before Health And Safety went mad.....