2.8 master cylinder options

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

2.8 master cylinder options

Post by Peter-S »

I'm in the process of putting Princess 4 pots on the 2.8 which seems to have highlighted the fact that the master cylinder is shagged. There's no leaks in the system and the pressure from the Ezi Bleed locks the brakes but I can't get any pedal pressure so it seems master cylinder is at fault.

I could buy a rebuild kit but its probably a waste of time. It seems I can't just buy a new master cylinder as nowhere seems to have them in stock. As I have a spare 2.0 servo I guess I could buy a Land Rover master cylinder and use that or or I could buy a Mk2 Granada master cylinder which is ATE and should therefore bolt straight on to the existing servo. The bore is 23.8mm instead of 22.0mm standard but I'm thinking this might be the easier option.
Any thoughts anyone?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: 2.8 master cylinder options

Post by Mr B »

Hi Peter,

I recently had this problem with a 2.8 master cylinder -
No pedal pressure at all after bleeding my brakes, tried everywhere I knew to get a replacement, was told it was obsolete now, so I reluctantly tried a rebuild kit, for 18 quid I thought nothing to lose really, so I took my time and after some research online i rebuilt the master cylinder following instructions from the Haynes manual, apart from some of the rubber seals being a pain to locate it's well within a home mechanic's scope, once the rebuild was complete I bench bled it and once back on the car I bled the brakes as normal, it now has a nice firm pedal and the brakes feel spot on and she passed her MOT, although I will admit to being slightly nervous when he put the car on the brake rollers :cigar:

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Kev Ush
Car(s): 1972 Capri XL

Post by Kev Ush »

Personally I'd go for the new master cylinder every time. Redress kits could easily be of questionable quality or NOS that have been laying on a shelf for years. At least with the ATE or TRW master cylinder it's coming from a large company that has a reputation to keep and safety standards to follow. The o-rings inside will be designed and correctly specified for their master cylinders.

Brakes, tyres and suspension are things that I never try and save money with. I'm not saying I always fit the best there is but I fit the best I can afford which is at least oem quality.

Kev.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi Kev,

If I could have found a new master cylinder I would have bought it to be honest but after searching everywhere I gave up, I think Tickovers now have the Granada one's back in stock..always the way isn't it! :swear:

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

I had this trouble when I built that P100 Peter, in the end I went with a Sierra XR4x4 one which are still available new.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Sorry for the hijack, but does the Granada or Sierra MC need any modification to fit?

Andrew.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Sorry for the hijack, but does the Granada or Sierra MC need any modification to fit?

Andrew.
My understanding is the Granada is a bolt on. It seems to be what Tickover sell as an upgraded 2.8 master cylinder but they are out of stock :roll:
Anyway I've ordered one from France so I'll be able to let you know in a week or two.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew.
The new Granada master cylinder arrived today so not too long a wait at all. Looks promising so far.

Old and new side by side - dimensions the same the only real difference being the locating rod that slots over the servo piston is bigger but I don't think that should be an issue. I screwed a bleed nipple in to one of the outlets just to confirm the thread size was the same which it is.

The whole thing slots over the servo studs easily enough

And the fluid reservoir transfers OK too

So now I just need to go back to bleeding the system.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Peter-S wrote:

Andrew.
My understanding is the Granada is a bolt on. It seems to be what Tickover sell as an upgraded 2.8 master cylinder but they are out of stock :roll:
Anyway I've ordered one from France so I'll be able to let you know in a week or two.
I bought this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRW-Master-Cy ... Swj85YQYx5recently. Fitted a treat and pedal travel seems reduced but hard to tell at the moment as the new pads are bedding in still.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

HI,
Thanks for the info Peter and Neil. It's good to know that all is not lost if a new MC is needed in the future.

Andrew.