Newbie question

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Kelvincyprus
Car(s): Capri 2.0 laser 3.0 running gear

Newbie question

Post by Kelvincyprus »

Just acquired a capri laser 2.0 with full 3.0 Ltr running gear automatic unfortunately, I want to get some of those JBW rs looking wheels, do the 7.5 x 15's fit ok ? Also anyone want my Auto gear for their manual ? Thanks
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Newbie question

Post by Arya2.0S »

They do fit, a fellow forum user just fitted some to his Capri, though he has smaller tyres stretched to fit so they don't fill out the arches as much and there's plenty of clearance, i have heard about people having issues however with bigger tyres. I believe they should technically have 205's fitted but I've seen people have issues with the chunkier tyres.
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong however, but i do remember seeing people mention there could be possible clearance issues with certain tyres as i did a lot of digging on this myself as i recently got new alloys too. (I highly recommend 13" superlights by JBW ;) Image
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The Capri Club stock 13" JBW RS-type wheels in either 7J or 7.5J size.
With that in mind, I wouldn't have thought there would be any fitting issues with these wheels, although the 7.5J are usually fitted to cars with an x-pack kit. It might be better to play it safe and get the narrower ones.

http://capriclub.co.uk/Road-Wheels-And- ... ack-alloys
http://capriclub.co.uk/Road-Wheels-And- ... loys-Black

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I've just fitted the 7.5J 13" wheels no problems, check my thread on the members car page if you like, fills out the arches a treat!

The 7J 15" wheels also fit fine, seen them on many a capri at events
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

V6 Capris came with strengthening sections in the inner wings. Have these been added to your Laser ?
Kelvincyprus
Car(s): Capri 2.0 laser 3.0 running gear

Post by Kelvincyprus »

Thanks guys, hmm not sure about the strengthening bits been fitted to my laser, so what tyres do I put on the 7.5 x 13's ? Thanks
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Kelvincyprus wrote:Thanks guys, hmm not sure about the strengthening bits been fitted to my laser, so what tyres do I put on the 7.5 x 13's ? Thanks
Hi,
Danny's got 175/60 on his and they look great. They do have a little bit of stretch, but that means that they are less likely to foul on the arches than wider tyres.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Kelvincyprus wrote:Thanks guys, hmm not sure about the strengthening bits been fitted to my laser, so what tyres do I put on the 7.5 x 13's ? Thanks
Hi,
Danny's got 175/60 on his and they look great. They do have a little bit of stretch, but that means that they are less likely to foul on the arches than wider tyres.

Andrew.
Love this picture ;)

I've not done the maths on anything bigger but would assume 185/60s would also fit without too much aggro as it's only a tiny bit wider, but there would be slightly less stretch to them, not sure about anything bigger though
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

D366Y wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Hi,

Andrew.
Love this picture ;)

I've not done the maths on anything bigger but would assume 185/60s would also fit without too much aggro as it's only a tiny bit wider, but there would be slightly less stretch to them, not sure about anything bigger though
Its a great shot.
I do remember seeing someone mention that Martin from Capri Gear had trouble with these type of wheels with bigger sizes on them when he fitted them to a restoration he did. I think he had 205's fitted though, which is technically the size you are supposed to have on them but obviously its a matter of personal taste. So worth noting you might have trouble if you go with these rims and want the bigger tyres.