Problems fitting a type 9 gearbox into a 2.8

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Problems fitting a type 9 gearbox into a 2.8

Post by ollyw »

Hello all

I've just had my type 9 rebuilt and am trying to refit it into the car (2.8i)

Using two trolley jacks I am coming extreme close to lining everything up however the input shaft is unable to get inside the fingers of the clutch pressure plate due to the top of the bell housing hitting the tunnel.

Will loosening the engine mounts allow me to tip the engine enough to get the clearance? (Needs to be a tiny amount)
What are people's tips for fitting these boxes on 2,8s?
So far it's taken me all day and I'm struggling. I don't want to bend the input shaft by jacking it into the pressure plate.

What's the best way to tilt the engine slightly?

Thank you.
Last edited by ollyw on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Re: Problems fitting a type 9 gearbox into a 2.8

Post by turbo-mike »

Olly when I did one on b540 years ago I had the same problem what I did was jack up the front of the engine by putting a jack on the crankshaft that way it tipped the engine down at the back then the input shaft slid in easy I also take it you have removed the exhaust as well as that wont help.
mike
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Unless the engine has rocked forwards on it's mounts then the box should mate up without trouble.
Give the engine a shove & see if it'll move a bit. You should be able to angle the box slightly upwards if needed to get the shaft through the finger springs then level it up to locate it into the splines & bearing.
Not done one myself for a good while but I have always engaged a gear before lifting the box up so that I can twist it with the propshaft if the splines don't want to mesh.
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Thanks for the replies.

Mike did you loosen the engine mounts at all?
I had to rock the engine a bit when I took the box out in order for the bellhousing to clear the tunnel.

Like I said it doesn't need much.
I didn't realise you could jack on the front crank pulley, I assume it doesn't bend anything. I think I'll put a block of wood between the jack and the pulley, just to spread the load me thinks.
ollyw

Post by ollyw »

:xd: I've not taken the exhausts off yet as I'm hoping I won't have too....
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

When I do a gearbox/clutch change on my Essex V6 cars I have to disconnect both of the exhausts from the manifolds otherwise they hold the arse of the engine to far up causing the problem you are having

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
ollyw

Post by ollyw »

Interesting. Ok I'll try disconnecting the manifolds tomorrow then and see what happens.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

You don't have to touch the exhausts, simply tilt the engine back a fraction as has already been described.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi Caprigear,

How will he push down the back of the engine and put the gearbox in at the same time if the exhausts are holding the engine to high, perhaps he has a part time job as an Octopus :lol:
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
ollyw

Post by ollyw »

Thanks for the replies.
I'll try the jack on the front pulley trick.

Cheers
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Mr B, Caprigear is right, Jacking the engine at the front under the crankshaft pulley by a small amount is enough to drop back of engine which will tip down without having to touch the engine mounts or disconnect the exhaust, there is enough play in all the rubber mounts to allow enough of an angle to be achieved that will allow the shaft to enter. Couple of bolts in the gearbox joint, remove front pulley jack then raise rear of gearbox and get all other bolts in.

I think martin has done enough of these that people can take his tips with confidence

Brooky
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Only about 25 years worth so no, not much experience at all really :sarcasmalert:
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi all,

I too have been working on/fixing Capri's for over 25 years as well and this method of jacking up the front of the engine on the crank pulley has never worked for me, I'm only speaking from my own experience, although I will admit breaking the exhausts at the manifold joints is probably easier on the 3 litre as they are bolted together and not slip jointed like the 2.8.

I think it's beneficial to have plenty of options on the table, things that work for some don't always work for others

Wayne