My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: My first capri, A-REG 2.0 S restoration

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Sadly, one other thing you will notice is that the available selection of tyres in the new size is drastically reduced, compared to what you are currently used to.

Andrew.
Ever the optimist Andrew........True though :lol:
Optimism is for fools. lol
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: even the utter incompetence known as Oponeo have plenty of 205's in stock
Hi,
They have the tyres, but with the exception of Toyo, there's no quality brands at all. Who the heck are Ovation? :lol:

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: even the utter incompetence known as Oponeo have plenty of 205's in stock
Hi,
They have the tyres, but with the exception of Toyo, there's no quality brands at all. Who the heck are Ovation? :lol:

Andrew.
They had Nakang last i looked. Best one to go for if you're on a budget and cant afford to pay £70+ per tyre, ive heard good things about them. Name brands arent always the best. I have two Firestones on mine currently, and two "enduro 70's", and the enduro's are waaaaay better than the firestones, so much so infact i had to switch the firestones from the rear to the front because they had a lethal lack of grip in the wet and the rear end would always want to step out even at low speeds! The enduros are much grippier in the wet by comparison, crazy.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

New rims! (finally)

Just need to sort out the centre caps. The ones that came with the rims wont fit, im hoping i can modify them to fit however. Still beyond chuffed with how these look though, ive always loved these rims on Capris so to finally have a set on mine is a bit of a dream come true!
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Looking good, they fill the arches really well, changes the look of the whole car. :applaud:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Looking good, they fill the arches really well, changes the look of the whole car. :applaud:
Thanks! It's amazing what a difference just changing the wheels can make to the overall look of a car.
Yes they fill the arches well, considering they are lower profile than the old tyres (60's instead of 70's) they seem to fill out more of the arches than before. I was worried there'd be fitment issues with the rear left fouling the exhaust, you won't believe my relief and jubilation when the guy at the tyre place offered the rim up with the new tyre fitted and it fit with plenty of space to spare! Lol.
I was also worried that the steering would become much heavier due to the tyres being so much wider as these are usually what's fitted to the 2.8 models with power steering but i cant notice any difference.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I do like them wheels and you say it's fine driving with out power steering . Might have to have a play with photo shop and see what they look like on mine . Very nice wheels as it's still retro but also a modern twist .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:I do like them wheels and you say it's fine driving with out power steering . Might have to have a play with photo shop and see what they look like on mine . Very nice wheels as it's still retro but also a modern twist .
If you need help with the photo mod I'm pretty good with Photoshop and can make a couple of mock ups if you like?

Yeah the steering is fine, if anything it feels lighter than before but this is probably due to the tyre pressure being optimal right now. My old ones would deflate a little bit after just a few days so that would make it heavier than it should have been, especially since I'm pretty lazy and/or forgot to keep them topped up at the right psi.

I had considered getting starmags or x-pack style 4-spokes but in the end these just spoke (haha puns) to me in ways the others didn't. I adore the deep dish look and you can't accuse these wheels of not being deep enough! Lol.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

My first go at posting a picture , so I have the 2.8 wheels at the moment I will let you have a play if that's ok .

Also I might of missed the link but where did you get them .

Cheers Jason
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Image
My first go at posting a picture , so I have the 2.8 wheels at the moment I will let you have a play if that's ok .

Cheers Jason
I'll have a go tomorrow sometime.

I bought the rims off eBay, here's the link: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/7x-13-Superligh ... 2852616008
They come with a set of chrome nuts and valves too! Though you'll need to let the seller know what car you intend on fitting them to so they can include the correct ones.
You can also get them with the spokes painted black instead of silver which is what I almost got but went with these instead as i think they look just a tiny bit better, plus if i wanted to i can paint the black on myself later.
I highly recommend these rims and the seller shipped them out and got them to me very quickly as well, and they were packeged nicely too.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Looking good, they fill the arches really well, changes the look of the whole car. :applaud:
:agree:
Hope you get the centres sorted.....Cant understand why they don't fit :headscratch:

:goodluck:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:
:agree:
Hope you get the centres sorted.....Cant understand why they don't fit :headscratch:

:goodluck:
Its just the plastic tabs that are supposed to clip on between the hubs and the wheel centres are just far too thick. I dont think they were designed/molded for the car honestly, even though the auction states the wheels are for a Ford. I have contacted the seller to see if they can do anything about it. I tried the old centre caps and they wont work either.
Its...annoying but not a deal breaker, and if the seller cant or wont do anything, i might be able to shave off some material off these centre caps with a Dremel and that might work out, but i'll wait and exhaust all other possibilities first.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Image

Cheers Jason
I'll put this here too so people dont think i ignored you lol.

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:New rims! (finally)

Hi,
Very nice indeed!
The wheels fill the aches well, I can see that they have quite a deep rim. 8-)

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Cheers for that Iam not sure you know ?

Will have to put my thinking cap on .
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:New rims! (finally)

Hi,
Very nice indeed!
The wheels fill the aches well, I can see that they have quite a deep rim. 8-)

Andrew.
Thank you! Yeah they are very deep, they pass the "fist" test, whereby i can put my whole fist in the wheel and it fits...but then again thats not saying much as i have tiny little Donald Trump hands (or, perfect mechanics hands to look at it from another perspective lol), only im not self conscious about them like he is lol. And yes, i have been "fisting" my rims, leave me alone im a complex individual lol. (in before Foraholic Nick says something "punny"! :poke: :lol: )
Jasonmarie wrote:Cheers for that Iam not sure you know ?

Will have to put my thinking cap on .
I hear ya, i took ages to make my mind up on these as its not a decision to be taken lightly, but i hope you decide on getting a set because they are truly awesome and make the car look even better somehow. I haven't seen a lot of Capris with these neither. You always see them with Minilights but not Superlights.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: You always see them with Minilights but not Superlights.
Hi,
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference? They look more or less the same to me.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote: You always see them with Minilights but not Superlights.
Hi,
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference? They look more or less the same to me.

Andrew.
No problem :)
Same spoke pattern, but the Superlights have the massive deep dish, Minilights have a far shallower dish.

Superlights:

Minilights:
andyd

Post by andyd »

I prefer the deeper dish on the Capri.
andyd

Post by andyd »

RYA, that was a Taunton area registration.

I grew up about 30 miles from there, and when my Dad bought a new car the first 3 letters would end either YA,YB,YC or YD......
A bit more useless information for you :lol: