Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Laser + GL

Post by D366Y »

Moving away slightly from microfibre cloths for a second....

The MOT is due on the laser so all booked in for next Wednesday (Fingers crossed!) and at the same time I'm going to have them drop the old 'box out and fit the new one I handily took off Rob a few weeks back!#

That will at least mean I have five working gears rather than a completely buggered fifth which I am looking forward to!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:Moving away slightly from microfibre cloths for a second....

The MOT is due on the laser so all booked in for next Wednesday (Fingers crossed!) and at the same time I'm going to have them drop the old 'box out and fit the new one I handily took off Rob a few weeks back!#

That will at least mean I have five working gears rather than a completely buggered fifth which I am looking forward to!
:goodluck:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
Those Microfibre drying towels are great though as they will hold alot of water, so you shouldn't need to chamois at all :D
Another microfibre fan here! You can get them from anywhere too, think I paid £3 for a pack in Asda once.
Hi Paul,
Yes there are plenty of cheap ones around, I think they are great for the interior.
I have bought good ones at shows for £1.50 each, but have some of these now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Superior- ... 3641.l6368
Really nice to use.
Thanks for the recommendation Andy. Will keep that in mind for sure :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: The MOT is due on the laser so all booked in for next Wednesday
Good luck, you seem to keep on top of the maintenance, so the car should pass.
Then you can go for a long drive to test that new fifth gear.......or the lower gears if you want to hear more of that exhaust!

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

How did the mot go Danny ? Hope all went well and you now have five gears too :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:How did the mot go Danny ? Hope all went well and you now have five gears too :)
I let it with them, they've had a guy go off for a few days so I said no rush just get it done when they can....

I will let you know as and when what happens!

I also asked them to try fitting the accuspark I bought last week as I had a nightmare with it over the weekend and couldn't get it to work for the life of me :doh: :headscratch:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:How did the mot go Danny ? Hope all went well and you now have five gears too :)
So I dropped the car in on Wednesday last week, asked them to change the gearbox over to the new one I got from Rob a few weeks back and do the MOT for me and have a gander at the accuspark stuff... just called today, gearbox is in and that appears to be fine...

Everything else is apparently less fine...

The radiator apparently has a leak along the front seal :doh:
They tried doing the MOT and the rear brake lines (less than a year old) have started leaking :doh:

I'm hopeful the car is back with me by the end of this week and I am still able to heard over to Queens Square.... :crying:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Not updated this thread for a while, but seeing as its roughly a year since I started it, I thought I would!

After the rad decided to spring a leak, I have ordered another new alloy rad and fitted it, and started making plans for 32/36 twin choke carb along with a 2.0 cam so I have more oompf from somewhere and Neil (sheff) very kindly donated his 2.8 discs, brakes and calipers etc. after he has upgraded his so will have to fit those too!

The next big step is trying to get the GL an MOT after having not moved since the last one in May 2016! If all goes to plan and I have enough help, I could potentially bring both cars along to QS in Sept!

Will see how things come along and fingers crossed everything goes to plan for a change! :beer: :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
It would be nice to see both cars at QS. If the weather is good it should be a brilliant Capri turnout. :D
Am I right in thinking that the GL was originally bought to restore and sell on? I take it that's why it hasn't been used since it's last MOT?
A shame really, as it looks like a good car.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Danny,
It would be nice to see both cars at QS. If the weather is good it should be a brilliant Capri turnout. :D
Am I right in thinking that the GL was originally bought to restore and sell on? I take it that's why it hasn't been used since it's last MOT?
A shame really, as it looks like a good car.

Andrew.
It is a lovely car and when I untucked it yesterday I felt pretty guilty having not used it for an entire year!

I was always in two minds as to what to do with the GL, everyone in family is telling me to get rid but I don't want to yet, it seems a little criminal to buy a car, restore it and sell it without ever having actually driven it!

The main reason I never got to use it was because being 21 (last year when I was looking at it) it was outrageously expensive and I think the cheapest quote I got was north of £1000!! Bearing in mind that I already have one Capri and drive another car for work it made no sense to insure the GL at the same time. This year though things look slightly better... The lowest quote I have received for the GL is around £400, which to be able to finally go out and enjoy it I think I am willing to pay :drive:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: The lowest quote I have received for the GL is around £400, which to be able to finally go out and enjoy it I think I am willing to pay :drive:
That quote seems reasonable. Go for it!
Out of curiosity, has the GL got a "Danny Special" exhaust or is it more restrained than the Laser?

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Look forward to seeing it Danny.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote: The lowest quote I have received for the GL is around £400, which to be able to finally go out and enjoy it I think I am willing to pay :drive:
That quote seems reasonable. Go for it!
Out of curiosity, has the GL got a "Danny Special" exhaust or is it more restrained than the Laser?

Andrew.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The GL has a far more restrained exhaust fear not! Standard 2" Sportex kit throughout, with silencers! I think it's the same exhaust Nick has on his car from memory, didn't want them to both sound the same :lol:

And it does seem pretty reasonable! Just need to sort out the indicators which didn't want to come on yesterday and then will sort out an MOT :)

Cheers
Danny
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have been here reading but the pictures are not showing at the start so can we have a updated picture please ....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Jasonmarie wrote:I have been here reading but the pictures are not showing at the start so can we have a updated picture please ....
Damned Photo-fuckit!

I will try and download them all again and re-upload them if I can later today or over the weekend :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sorry that photo f"""it has done almost the whole internet in .

I just think these cars look so much better in there out of factory look . I know I have done stuff to mine but it is only fords stuff I have used .
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Jasonmarie wrote:I have been here reading but the pictures are not showing at the start so can we have a updated picture please ....
Hey guys, managed to re-attach all the pictures so they should now all be showing again.... If I've missed any let me know and I will try and find the pictures again but I'm pretty sure I've got them all! Also I managed to stumble through the hundreds of pictures I have and I still love these two the most :heart:

ImageIMG_20170413_074824_200 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1502048770571 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Last edited by D366Y on Thu May 03, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Some great pictures there and what a great pair you have ....

I think the light green on a Capri and a 2.0 auto must be a true retro classic and the wheels fitted ever ford going .you just don't see cars like that and it's what ever body had

I hope to see them one day at a meet .
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Quick update...

Car got dropped in the garage first thing this morning with the following new bits to add on!

32/36 twin choke carb
2.0 cam
Neil's (sheff) kindly donated 2.8 front discs, pads etc.
New hoses for the whole engine bay

Along with the corresponding other niggly bits so hopefully I will come back either tomorrow or more likely Monday with much more fun!! :D Pictures to follow when I get I get the car back of course!!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I'd be interested to see what a difference the new carb and cam make. Bet they'll liven it up a bit.

Paul.