Eletronic Ignition Fitted !

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Eletronic Ignition Fitted !

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi,

Well took a drive over to see John (taff50ish) today and decided today is the day I finally go "electronic" :)

Had been pondering this for a while now so after a recommendation from Dave (smoke em) I decided to get the Aldon Electronic Ignition. Peter (S) also put in a good word on this too. Amazing how "simple" it is to fit. Everything just fits inside the dizzy as a direct replacement for the points so pretty much keeps the engine compartment standard looking except for the missing condenser of course. Anyway for anyone not seen the Aldon kit this is what it looks like fitted into the dizzy. Very neat bit of kit too and very easy to return back to points if I wanted to :)

Image20170219_121912 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

The gap between the magnetic sleeve on dizzy shaft and the module was adjusted and the wires pulled through the grommet to neaten it all up, a dab of oil on the dizzy felt then rotor arm and cap back on, wire it up, then fire it up, wait for temp to come up then reset the timing. For good measure while we were at it we checked the mixture too with a colour tune kit which is a great bit of kit that John swears by :)

Job done...time to close up...before fitting the coil lead of course for those sharp eyed forum members ! :lol:

Image20170219_122632 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Soooooo the moment of truth was the test drive to see how it drove and straight away before moving off the idle did sound better but maybe part of this was just me "wanting it to sound better" :lol: Me and John then went for a quick drive round the block and it certainly seem to drive better but again on such a short test drive maybe it was me "wanting" it to be better so the real test was the drive home. Now as the car was running pretty well on the points beforehand as it was pretty well tuned up, I was really keen to see if it would run even better now it was on electronic. The journey home certainly put a big :D on my face. Smoother running, and very nice tickover/idle too. As said B112 AAT was running very well with the points but now seems just that bit better so was definitely worth the change, but of course very easy to return back to the points in a flash !

I enjoyed the drive back so much I took a "taff50ish" special detour :lol:

Anyhow just wanted to thank John for his help, hospitality and a fine bacon butty...again :D

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Eletronic Ignition Fitted !

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
I'll get straight to the "point". Great job, well done!

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Nick,
I'll get straight to the "point", great Job, well done!

Andrew.
:doh:
Andrew, I hope you aren't going to 'distribute' bad puns here as well as the Burton Sump Plug thread :whistle:

Glad you have it sorted Nick :D
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I'll get straight to the "point", great Job, well done
andyd wrote:Andrew, I hope you aren't going to 'distribute' bad puns here as well as the Burton Sump Plug thread
:oops:

It looks like I have "ignited" another round of bad puns :lol:

Thanks for the kind words too chaps. Yep job well done and pleased I got it sorted after my long deliberation :)
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

That'll put some "spark" in it! What a good "plug" for electronic ignition. It'll accelerate like a "coil"ed snake!

To "cap" it all we shouldn't "dwell" on it though. Can anyone else "advance" any other "leads"?

Good "timing" though, thinking of fitting electronic to mine as well.
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

Glad you got it sorted ok Nick. Whilst I know that she was running fine beforehand, the quality of the non OEM Points & Condensers that are on the market are getting worse! I'm not sure if you have had an issue but I know of various people, still on points that have replaced the condenser with a new item and it has failed! Brand new & knackered lol.

Anyways, no more worries for you. 8-)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:It looks like I have "ignited" another round of bad puns :lol:
These puns are so bad you'd think that Tim Vine has been in "contact" with the forum....

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

SmokeEm wrote:Glad you got it sorted ok Nick. Whilst I know that she was running fine beforehand, the quality of the non OEM Points & Condensers that are on the market are getting worse! I'm not sure if you have had an issue but I know of various people, still on points that have replaced the condenser with a new item and it has failed! Brand new & knackered lol.
Thanks Dave, and thanks again for the recommendation for this. Much appreciated as I had been deliberating over this for a while and did not really know which one to go for. This one is simplicity in itself which is what I really like about it along with how it just disappears inside the original dizzy. Amazing bit of kit really ! And the quality you say it has reassures me I made a good choice ! Just been down to fire the Pinto up after a day standing since fitting it yesterday so the Pinto was cold, and yep it really has made a difference indeed. Has an even smoother idle/tickover from cold than with the points which as said I had set up pretty well anyway, so any improvement on performance is much welcomed and if reliability is as good as everyone says about electronic then this can only be a good thing as well.

I am itching to get it out for another run again but the missus is home from work soon and I have to put a baked potato in the oven so if I miss this deadline I will be sleeping in the Capri tonight :cry:...hmmm... :) ... :woot:

Cheers Dave,

Nick
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Thanks Dave, and thanks again for the recommendation for this. Much appreciated as I had been deliberating over this for a while and did not really know which one to go for. This one is simplicity in itself which is what I really like about it along with how it just disappears inside the original dizzy. Amazing bit of kit really ! And the quality you say it has reassures me I made a good choice ! Just been down to fire the Pinto up after a day standing since fitting it yesterday so the Pinto was cold, and yep it really has made a difference indeed. Has an even smoother idle/tickover from cold than with the points which as said I had set up pretty well anyway, so any improvement on performance is much welcomed and if reliability is as good as everyone says about electronic then this can only be a good thing as well.

Nick
I've ben thinking about this for a while too, much as I love fiddling with the points the novelty tends to wear off when it needs doing and you don't want to go do it in the rain...

If it improves performance I'm all in! :tongue:

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

You won't regret it. It won't suit a highly modded Pinto but fine for std or slightly warmed over.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

D366Y wrote:I've ben thinking about this for a while too, much as I love fiddling with the points the novelty tends to wear off when it needs doing and you don't want to go do it in the rain...
Danny, I have been thinking about electronic ignition for over a year now but just like you I could not bring myself to go "pointless" but something inside me was nagging away to give it a try. I must admit I wish I had done it earlier now. There are a few kits out there doing similar so it was great to get the heads up from Dave. Yep its prob the most expensive one but to get a quality unit its money well spent, but just my opinion of course !
D366Y wrote:If it improves performance I'm all in!
Well I can only speak from my own experience Danny, and it no doubt depends on the condition of the distributor this is being fitted to, and yep sometimes you do hear/see differences that you "want" to see but I really have to say that I have seen an instant improvement without a doubt. Now I am not going to say I can boast "tons" more power but its the whole picture...very smooth idle/tickover, nice when dropping down through the gears and yep I actually do believe that B112 AAT has a bit more punch about it...oh and not forgetting the much praised reliability electronic seems to get. Obviously I have only had it fitted for two days, but just been down to fire it up again and yep very :D Just to repeat all this on a Pinto that was actually running very nicely beforehand too.

AND the best bit Danny (or not as some might say :lol: ) is its so easy for you to just revert back to the points/condenser if you don't want your feeler gauge to seize up :lol:

All the best

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

D366Y wrote:I've ben thinking about this for a while too, much as I love fiddling with the points the novelty tends to wear off when it needs doing and you don't want to go do it in the rain...
Danny, I have been thinking about electronic ignition for over a year now but just like you I could not bring myself to go "pointless" but something inside me was nagging away to give it a try. I must admit I wish I had done it earlier now. There are a few kits out there doing similar so it was great to get the heads up from Dave an Yep its prob the most expensive one but to get a quality unit its money well spent, but just my opinion of course !
D366Y wrote:If it improves performance I'm all in!
Well I can only speak from my own experience Danny, and it no doubt depends on the condition of the distributor this is being fitted to, and yep sometimes you do hear/see differences that you "want" to see but I really have to say that I have seen an instant improvement without a doubt. Now I am not going to say I can boast "tons" more power but its the whole picture...very smooth idle/tickover, nice when dropping down through the gears and yep I actually do believe that B112 AAT has a tad more punch about it...oh and not forgetting the much praised reliability electronic seems to get. Obviously I have only had it fitted for two days, but just been down to fire it up again and yep very :D Just to repeat all this on a Pinto that was actually running very nicely beforehand too.

AND the best bit Danny (or not as some might say :lol: ) is its so easy for you to just revert back to the points/condenser if you don't want your feeler gauge to seize up :lol:

All the best

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

So have done around 350 miles now and got caught in traffic and the car is jumping or juddering really bad then and only does it now and then when running in normal traffic , so have booked up the guys at Tickover in dartford for a service and Electronic Ignition. think this may help and sort the problem out . Still thinking about the K&N filter but still not sure .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:so have booked up the guys at Tickover in dartford for a service and Electronic Ignition. think this may help and sort the problem out . Still thinking about the K&N filter but still not sure .
Hi mate,

Yep you certainly will be leaving your Capri in good hands with the chaps at Tickover. They will definitely give it a thorough service and tune up and hopefully solve the issues you been having. Changing over to electronic ignition will improve the running for sure as I have found out recently by fitting the Aldon set up. My Pinto was running well with points and it was a long deliberation to change to the Aldon but so far I am very pleased that I did now as I definately have noticed a difference.

Re the k&n filter it will definitely get more air into the engine so if you do fit one you will have to look at the air fuel mixture to adjust it to suit the extra air flow. The k&n filters also look great too....

Image20170312_162240 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170312_162234 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out :)

All the best

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Thanks for that Nick first your engine bay is just 1st class I will have to get out there and clean mine now ( when warmer )
Yes Iam all booked in for the 10th April will let you know the out come .
All the best

Jason
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:Thanks for that Nick first your engine bay is just 1st class I will have to get out there and clean mine now ( when warmer )
Yes Iam all booked in for the 10th April will let you know the out come .
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your kind words fella. Nice one! Good luck then on the 10th. As said previously hope they get your Capri sorted, as I am sure they will. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

All the best now

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes , yes & yes she is back from Tickover & is 100% ready
I feel that you was all right to go electronic do away with points as the car seems a lot quicker and is running a dream .
I had to go for a hours drive with that big grin fat face of mine up & down the motorway .
Taking the kids & wife out now for dinner just to show the car off really .

So big thank you to Tickover they do a great job as normal & you bunch on here .

:cheers: :cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have spoken to soon we went to go out for a meal and I am stuck in a layby , the car will not idle and dies at 1500 revs I have check everything and all look ok .

Waiting for AA kids not happy and wife is giving me a strange look .

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Looks like I will be going home in a AA transit Van ...... happy Easter
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I think it's the electronic ignition as the rev counter is ticking or bouncing when the key is in the 2nd click on the ignition before you start. I have had a quick look around and can not see anything come off , can get the car to start but Christ it's hard with my foot almost all the way down and as soon I let the revs drop below 1500 she dies .
Any thoughts ? But if not Tuesday she will be relayed back to Tickover my thoughts are the electronic ignition has a fault on it what is know body's fault and the guys will sort it out for me .
I will look in daylight and might just try disconnecting the battery check and clean the coil but still think it's the electronic ignition .

Will let everybody know outcome anyway .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Capri mate and you seem to have narrowed it down to the newly fitted electronic ignition. Another forum member recently had electronic fitted too but due to very bad running issues with it has returned back to points.

Do you mind me asking you which electronic ignition set up you had fitted ? Reason I ask is if you went for a similar one to mine and retained your original distributor by simply replacing the points out for the electronic module/magnet then I did read that the distributor itself could cause bad running issues too as in effect you are still using the original set up just with electronic module rather than the points. If its a decent dizzy then that wont be the problem. Or have you replaced the distributor too with an electronic set up as a complete kit like Accuspark sell ?

If you only replaced the points with a module/magnet kit like I did then which kit did you go for mate as Accuspark and Aldon do very similar albeit Aldon quite a lot more at over £100. I went for the Aldon after very respected recommendations from some forum members as I did not know which one to fit. I personally just took on board the advice I was given and so far the Aldon I had fitted has performed very well indeed ! I learnt a bit about the wiring of these kits as I was getting help from John (taff50ish) to fit mine, as it depends on whether you have a ballast resistor with suitable coil as to how you wire these up. Most Capris should indeed have a ballast resistor (wire) in the loom somewhere therefore you should not really wire up the positive electronic ignition directly to the coil positive but wire up to another 12v live source in the igniton. We found a 'spare' live connection just underneath the headlamp relay which I heard about from a few guys on facebook who recommended checking for this 'spare' connection/wire. Do you know if your coil is a ballast or non ballast one which could cause issues ???

Just throwing up a few possibilities as I did loads of research and asked lots of questions along the way...and still am no expert so please don't take what I say as gospel more like just thinking aloud !! Someone here with a lot more knowledge than me might have a better explanation as to why you might be having issues :)

One other thing I would add is after fitting my Aldon kit we checked/adjusted the timing and for good measure also checked the air/fuel mixture too with a Colourtune kit while we were at it. John advised we did this after setting up the Aldon.

Anyway I hope you get it sorted Jason and hopefully it could well just be a fault with the new ignition. Either way the chaps at Tickover will be able to sort it for you. Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

All the best

Nick