Brooklands Classic Breakfast - Memorial Capri Tribute

Post details here of any car related shows, meetings, gatherings etc that you want to share with other users.
JayeJulia
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i

Brooklands Classic Breakfast - Memorial Capri Tribute

Post by JayeJulia »

To fellow Capri owners..

Over the past two years our family has been restoring a Mk3 2.8i Capri that was owned by our late brother Cliff. It was his dream to see his car running again and on show in the Paddock at Brooklands, all changed when he tragically died of a brain hemorrhage at just 47. At Cliff's funeral we vowed to fulfill his dreams and we raised the money and effort to restore his red "Cherry" Capri.

The Cherry Capri came very close to appearing on Car SOS and had been inspected by the shows mechanic Fuzz Townsend, Cliff's death changed their plans and we were left to restore the car ourselves. Cliff was a well known vehicle electrician and territorial army soldier and we have the Capri as our memory of this super guy.

I have been in communication with Brooklands and have booked us into a special Capri Classic Breakfast on Sunday 21st May where we will have photo opportunity to take pictures of the restored Cherry Capri along with other Capri Club members vehicles if you are able to attend. Gates at Brooklands open at 07:45 with breakfasts being served from 08:00 to 10:00. Last orders for breakfasts close at 09:45.

Hopefully we will have access to the Paddock just before mid-day for a photo opportunity. The Test Hill will be available where drivers will need to sign in and attend a briefing at 10:30. Please note that we will all have to pay the standard museum entrance fee.

Can you please let me know by private message if you are able to attend with your details?

Many thanks

Jaye :wave:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Brooklands Classic Breakfast - Memorial Capri Tribute

Post by andyd »

Sounds like a good day, I'm sure you'll get some interest from more local members if they can.....

Make sure you put some pictures up afterwards :D

:goodluck: Andy
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Hi Jaye,
You might be better off with this in the Rant and Rave section which is more frequently used.

Do you have Face Book? If so it may be worth posing it on Capri world https://www.facebook.com/groups/538524806169576/
And a new page Classic Car Show World https://www.facebook.com/groups/1809174859306097/

There is a lot more Capri Owners using Face Book now, so if you want to get a good gathering it would pay you to post it in as many places as possible.

Regards
Neil
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

sheff wrote:Hi Jaye,
You might be better off with this in the Rant and Rave section

Agreed and moved!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

JayeJulia wrote:Can you please let me know by private message if you are able to attend with your details?
Hi Jaye,

What a great thing for you to organise a such a lovely tribute to your late brother Cliff at such an iconic and wonderful venue as Brooklands. What a splendid way to display your achievements in restoring his Capri in his memory. I certainly hope to attend this.

PM sent !

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Hi Jaye,
Do you have reserved spaces for this meet, as it looks like the museum is open to all classic cars on the day on a first come first served basis.

What details do you require people to send through.

Regards
Neil
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Me, Mark (Brooky) and Nick (Fordoholic Nick) from the forum, plus a few from the Surrey Capri group are going to this event on the 21st May. The gates open at 7.45am.

Anyone else on here interested?

All the best
Neil
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Sounds good to me! It's only around half hour from me so I have no excuses! :lol:

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

I think I can come too.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

This event is this Sunday. The final arrangements have come through via JayeJulia.

Hi Guys

I spoke with Brooklands yesterday to confirm that its all on.. I think I have fixed the running problems on Cherry but to be safe I will still bring it up from Portsmouth on a trailer. Brooklands have asked us not to turn up before the gates open (around 7:45 to 08:00)

From the website:

Entry for all cars for the Breakfast is via the Campbell Gate off Brooklands Road. Last tickets for the breakfast are sold on the Campbell Gate at 9:30. After 9.30am, parking is in our normal visitor Car Park, reached via Mercedes-Benz World.

I hope to offload the Capri on site and then when parked up I plan to cover up Cherry as I have all of Cliff's family arriving and want to do a reveal. My partner is a semi pro photographer and will take pictures of the day.

I have been warned that it will get busy in the day as they also have a Land Rover and Porche event going on.. Handy that I will be towing Cherry in the LR Discovery!

Steve the events organiser at Brooklands is looking to arrange a photoshoot for the Capri's in the paddock around mid-day.

May I say a HUGE thank you for the support from you guys and look forward to thanking you personally on the day.

Jaye

Hope to see a few of you there and for those that can't make it I will take some photo's to post in the gallery.

All the best
Neil
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

So a great day out with a great turn out of capris from this Forum and the Surrey Capri club coming together to arrive in style. Myself, Neil, Nick, Dan and Kalvin met up on the A3 to go through Hindhead tunnel together, what a great way to start the day

Once in the tunnel Dan definitely took the award for loudest roar, how you get a 1.6 to sound like that I do not know. Then on up the A3 with our nice little convoy of 5 capris.

Met the Surrey boys just before Brooklands, I think we had 13 Capris all ready to go in together, couldn't get them all in one shot.

Once we got into Brooklands, we were all together in one area along with several other Capris including Jaye with the Cherry red that has been refurbished in her late Brothers memory that you can see more about on the threads on the forum, she is at the top left of this shot with the board explaining about her brother and why this car is so important to her.

Kalvin went for the hill climb, great effort.

This is a great event and something we should definitely do again. I had major over heat problem whilst stood waiting to get in as my expansion bottle has a repaired leak that decided to give way, thanks to the guys, a repair was done and refilled, all went well on the return home but definitely now need to get the tank sorted.

Apparently if we ever want to go here as a group we just need to contact Donna at Brooklands who will sort out a similar space for us all to be together so maybe something for us to think abour again or just turn up on one of the weekends and enjoy whatever is on.

Kris is now taking names for ACE on 5th August so let him know if you want a spot in the car park on the day

Excellent day out, great to catch up with everyone.

Mark
andyd

Post by andyd »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the pictures, quite a good turnout of Capri's.....Glad you all had a good day, plus the weather looked good too :D

Andy
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

As Mark said this was a great day! There were a lot of other classic cars here, but I only took photo's of the Capri's.

Starting with Cherry.

The forum cars

The 2 hot 2.8's cooling off :banghead:

Danny's car with the lovely wheels.

Nicks car showing off his clean engine bay :D

And Capri's from the Surrey club

A Capri traffic jam :lol:

Hope you enjoyed looking through them

Neil
Last edited by sheff on Sun May 21, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Chaps,
Thanks for uploading the photos, it looks like it was a terrific day out.
As ever, all the cars look stunning, but Cherry deserves a special mention for it's poignant significance.

A five Capri blast through the Hindhead tunnel must have been something special too....brilliant! :D

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Thanks for the extra pics Neil, it looked like a great day. Cherry looks great :D
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Once in the tunnel Dan definitely took the award for loudest roar, how you get a 1.6 to sound like that I do not know. Then on up the A3 with our nice little convoy of 5 capris.
I try my best!! :lol:

Was a great day out and good to meet some other faces from the forum too, some with some without their cars on the day.

Also, Neil you said you would photoshop the picture of mine! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote:Thanks for the extra pics Neil, it looked like a great day. Cherry looks great :D
I agree, one of the best Capri events I've seen on here. Thanks again for the extra pictures.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

sheff wrote:As Mark said this was a great day! There were a lot of other classic cars here, but I only took photo's of the Capri's.

Starting with Cherry.
Neil, as soon as I saw your pictures of the memorial stand I remembered Cliff posting pictures of his car and telling us of his plans to restore the car he called 'Cherry'. I have total respect for Cliff's family in carrying out his wishes, I'm sure he would have been deservedly proud of what they have achieved.
For those who wish to see it, here is the post from February 2015, showing the condition of his car after 23 years of ownership, which makes its condition now show the enormous amount of work which has gone into this fitting tribute.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47750&hilit=Storage+table
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Neil, as soon as I saw your pictures of the memorial stand I remembered Cliff posting pictures of his car and telling us of his plans to restore the car he called 'Cherry'. I have total respect for Cliff's family in carrying out his wishes, I'm sure he would have been deservedly proud of what they have achieved.
For those who wish to see it, here is the post from February 2015, showing the condition of his car after 23 years of ownership, which makes its condition now show the enormous amount of work which has gone into this fitting tribute.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47750&hilit=Storage+table
Good find Rob, first post was on my birthday........Sad events around this car, but what has been done is absolutely great :applaud:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Rob,
Great find, it was interesting to read that thread again. It also highlights what a smashing job has been made of the restoration.

Andrew.