Jump Starter Devices

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Jump Starter Devices

Post by pbar »

This is a tiny device compared to the big heavyweights of old, and can jump start petrol engines up to 3.5L. Also has USB ports for charging phones, etc. About £50, anyone any experience of these?

andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Jump Starter Devices

Post by andyd »

Sounds good :)
Only 2 reviews on Amazon which rate it 4/5 Stars
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

These new ones have LiPo batteris which are very smalland powerful.
We do alot of RC models with planes and cars and boats etc and the 3s LiPo we use in small rc planes are enough to jump start a car battery!
But i have never bought or used one of these.
Interesting because Lidl are selling one for £35 and i reckon its worth a try.
Just make sure you keep them charged and don't drain them as they do not store very well if left uncharged
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Will01 wrote: Interesting because Lidl are selling one for £35 and i reckon its worth a try.
That's interesting as I was wondering if Aldi (Lidl's brother of course) would stock these, so I might look at that.

I think the spec. for the one I posted stated a charging time of just 3 hours, which isn't bad at all, as you mention rechargeable batteries do run down on their own (although this type is far better at holding a charge), so it's not like you would have to wait overnight to use it like some others.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Will01 wrote: Interesting because Lidl are selling one for £35 and i reckon its worth a try.
I went to a Lidl today to have a look at these. They didn't have any and the staff were clueless. Starange, perhaps it is a future special thingy.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Here is the one they had advertised in their Lidl store catalogue and on their website aswell

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... l&id=39459

i believe it is due for Sunday(tomorrow)
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

Excellent, thank you. Will hopefully check that out tomorrow then.
skozra
Car(s): 1993 Volvo 240 Estate, 01 Subaru Impreza WRX Saloon, 86 Capri 2.8i (fitted with weber 38 carb) and an Audi A1

Post by skozra »

used one of the DB Power ones (that I got from Amazon a while ago) to jump start one of the Scoobys, worked a treat - these things are fantastic and do actually work well.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well I went and bought one from Lidl today, this is the first day that they came in. And, as luck would have it I had a flat battery! Totally gone, not even a whimper. So I connected this up, only takes seconds to do, and started the car. Started first time, actually started better than it has ever done! Amazing piece of kit, sure beats having to fetch another car over, pushing the non starter out of the garage, jump leads, etc. And of course if you suspect the battery is on it's way out you can just carry this around with you if you fear that you might have a non starter at some point.

I think it states that you can jump start around 20 cars before you need to re-charge the device. And that one charge could last up to six months. Very handy to have the ability to re-charge phones and any USB devices also, if you're a camper for instance that could make life much easier.

Thank you for the heads up! No more stressing about a flat battery no matter how long a car may be left.

Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote:Well I went and bought one from Lidl today, this is the first day that they came in. And, as luck would have it I had a flat battery! Totally gone, not even a whimper. So I connected this up, only takes seconds to do, and started the car. Started first time, actually started better than it has ever done! Amazing piece of kit, sure beats having to fetch another car over, pushing the non starter out of the garage, jump leads, etc. And of course if you suspect the battery is on it's way out you can just carry this around with you if you fear that you might have a non starter at some point.

I think it states that you can jump start around 20 cars before you need to re-charge the device. And that one charge could last up to six months. Very handy to have the ability to re-charge phones and any USB devices also, if you're a camper for instance that could make life much easier.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your report mate. Very helpful indeed. Sounds a great bit of kit does that. I had a flat battery on the Fiesta yesterday morning...a couple of hours before me and the missus were due to drive up to West Yorkshire to visit my parents :banghead: I could so have done with one of these Paul. Had to 'scramble" the Capri to the rescue, not for the first time, with a booster start. I am popping into the local Lidl up here in Yorkshire tomorro morning (today) to see if I can buy one of these jump starters Paul. Will replace the battery on the Fiesta as I think its had it but always good to have one of these units methinks :)

Fingers crossed Lidl has some left up here...

Thanks again Paul and thanks to "Will01" for the heads up on this Lidl one. Great bit of information he posted up !

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Everitt
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, 2.8 Injection

Post by Everitt »

Man, I still can't believe that jump starters are that small now. It's about the same size as a power bank for my phone. Wonder how many times can you start a car using this jump start on one charge. The smallest portable jump-starter that I have seen before was this 500Amp module: https://www.carid.com/black-decker/500- ... s500b.html
Last edited by Everitt on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Everitt wrote:Man, I still can't believe that jump starters are that small now. It's about the same size as a power bank for my phone. Wonder how many times can you start a car using this jump start on one charge.
Hi, I mentioned in my last post, according to the manual twenty cars could possibly be started from one charge.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Everitt wrote:Man, I still can't believe that jump starters are that small.
Yep I agree mate. Amazing how compact these things are now aint it.
Everitt wrote:Wonder how many times can you start a car using this jump start on one charge.
Paul mentioned this in his post fella....
pbar wrote:I think it states that you can jump start around 20 cars before you need to re-charge the device. And that one charge could last up to six months. Very handy to have the ability to re-charge phones and any USB devices also, if you're a camper for instance that could make life much easier.
Sounds very good dont it.

All the best

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Tried two Lidl stores up here in Dewsbury and both sold out :(
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Tried two Lidl stores up here in Dewsbury and both sold out :(
Hi Nick,
The store I went to had loads of them.
If you have further difficulties obtaining one, I can get one for you and forward it on.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Glad it works well :D

I always use one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Ba ... SwBahVAcEt
Only suitable for round terminal batteries, and it does mean setting the clock and radio but I never bother :lol:

Although this one states square terminals too and allows radio etc to remain on....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richbrook-DIS ... 2096775398
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8 wrote:
If you have further difficulties obtaining one, I can get one for you and forward it on.
That goes for me too Nick.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:
Andrew 2.8 wrote:
Hi chaps.

Wow thats really really kind of you both to offer. Yes please I would love to take you up on your fantastic offer of help :)

Andrew if your store still has lots of them then it would be really great if you could get one for me. Just pm me with details of how I can pay you and give you my address. If they have sold out please let me know and I will then ask Paul if he can very kindly do the same. We are just leaving Yorkshire for the drive home now so will be in touch later.

Once again Andrew and Paul, thank you both very much indeed to you for your kindness. Very much appreciated. Its made my day :D

All the very best now chaps

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
pbar wrote:
Andrew 2.8 wrote:
Hi chaps.

Wow thats really really kind of you both to offer. Yes please I would love to take you up on your fantastic offer of help :)

Andrew if your store still has lots of them then it would be really great if you could get one for me. Just pm me with details of how I can pay you and give you my address. If they have sold out please let me know and I will then ask Paul if he can very kindly do the same. We are just leaving Yorkshire for the drive home now so will be in touch later.

Once again Andrew and Paul, thank you both very much indeed to you for your kindness. Very much appreciated. Its made my day :D

All the very best now chaps

Nick
Hi Nick,
No problem, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Out of interest, do you have a Paypal account?

Andrew.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:No problem, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Out of interest, do you have a Paypal account?
Hi Andrew,

Nice one fella. Much appreciated indeed !

Yep, I got paypal so easy to pay you...no need to send you a postal order :lol:

Look forward to hearing from you tomorrow mate.

ALL the best

Nick