Stunning 280 for sale

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Stunning 280 for sale

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

What a stunning 280 ! Am sure this "G" reg 280 was up for sale not that long ago. The "engine swap" has certainly not put buyers off at all ! Would def not put me off :)

Check out the price still with 8 days to go. Loads of bids already.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172407971054

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Stunning 280 for sale

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Well spotted!
It says in the description that the engine swap is not documented. That seems a little strange for such a well-kept low mileage car.
I wonder if the current owner is selling because they have only recently found out about the non-matching numbers?
You're right that the car had only recently been on sale, although I can't remember how much it sold for. Around £40K rings a bell.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I saw the ad yesterday and was surprised it had an engine change :o

I suppose as long as its a decent engine and not one thats done 100k its not too bad, but I would want to know before I bid on it......
laserdude
Car(s): capri

Post by laserdude »

Folks are mad nowadays! Unless it's ghost bidding which you get a lot of on Ebay now. Just doesn't add up to me. How can someone sell a car saying it has cover a genuine 28,000 miles from new when he has pointed out that the engine swap is not documented, and the engine appears to be from another 280. So if there is no documented history with/or about the engine that's in it how can you possibly state it's genuine mileage. MOT history and the folder full of history doesn't mean anything if it's not the original engine. Fools and there money are soon parted comes to mind. Adverts like this get right up my nose as the seller is trying to pull the wool over people eyes with what's not right with the car.

Talking of this ad there is other one on Ebay a One Owner Black 2.8 injection Special that the seller claims has done a genuine 32,000 miles from new. Yeah right 'O and am the pope! 9 out of 10 adverts are misleading when it comes to honestly so buyer beware.
andyd

Post by andyd »

laserdude wrote:Folks are mad nowadays! Unless it's ghost bidding which you get a lot of on Ebay now. Just doesn't add up to me. How can someone sell a car saying it has cover a genuine 28,000 miles from new when he has pointed out that the engine swap is not documented, and the engine appears to be from another 280. So if there is no documented history with/or about the engine that's in it how can you possibly state it's genuine mileage. MOT history and the folder full of history doesn't mean anything if it's not the original engine. Fools and there money are soon parted comes to mind. Adverts like this get right up my nose as the seller is trying to pull the wool over people eyes with what's not right with the car.

Talking of this ad there is other one on Ebay a One Owner Black 2.8 injection Special that the seller claims has done a genuine 32,000 miles from new. Yeah right 'O and am the pope! 9 out of 10 adverts are misleading when it comes to honestly so buyer beware.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-FORD-CAP ... SwHMJYJ55J
Engine bay looks like 132K :? With a accident repair company sticker :headscratch:

There are some genuine low milers out there, and others that just don't add up..... :?

Prefer this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-28 ... SwA3dYJMo8
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

£16K? :roll:
The listing has got my pet hate of really poor photos. Come on lads, make an effort.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:£16K? :roll:
The listing has got my pet hate of really poor photos. Come on lads, make an effort.

Andrew.
:agree: Also the interiors of my cars are never that dirty even when they aren't for sale..... :doh:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Also the interiors of my cars are never that dirty even when they aren't for sale..... :doh:
I agree with this. In fact, the more I think about it, the more this infuriates me. The seller is asking what most people would consider strong money for this car, and they present it for sale in that condition!
Or this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1985-FORD-CAP ... 2223974478

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

This is the one known as Mr. G isn't it? I think it's been talked about before on here, used to belong I believe to a member of the club which myself and Mike (MSinjection) are in.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:This is the one known as Mr. G isn't it? I think it's been talked about before on here, used to belong I believe to a member of the club which myself and Mike (MSinjection) are in.
Yes it's Mr G. One of it's owners lived around the Bristol area iirc.....Dr B knows it
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

andyd wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-FORD-CAP ... SwHMJYJ55J
Engine bay looks like 132K :? With a accident repair company sticker :headscratch:

There are some genuine low milers out there, and others that just don't add up..... :?
This car has the wrong stripes for a Black Special and they obviously forgot how the tailgate stickers went back on. I suspect this car has had a full respray for some reason.... Not what you'd expect from a car of such low miles and one owner!
andyd

Post by andyd »

sheff wrote:
andyd wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-FORD-CAP ... SwHMJYJ55J

This car has the wrong stripes for a Black Special and they obviously forgot how the tailgate stickers went back on. I suspect this car has had a full respray for some reason.... Not what you'd expect from a car of such low miles and one owner!
Hi Neil,
Well spotted....Def not a five figure car imo
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Not sure who has seen this one or how authentic it is as I've not looked into it but this looks pretty sweet! Pretty rare as the seller says if it is all accurate, definite dream car material I think haha

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-28 ... SwAANY6nhg

All the best
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:Not sure who has seen this one or how authentic it is as I've not looked into it but this looks pretty sweet! Pretty rare as the seller says if it is all accurate, definite dream car material I think haha

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-28 ... SwAANY6nhg

All the best
Danny
Hi Danny,
I saw this ad earlier today......Good pics and through description, which is how it should be done imo.

Looks and sounds like a great example, and very popular with it's current bid at £19200, probably £25k reserve(?)
200hp in a Capri must be great, as a standard 160 they are pretty quick.

Will be interested to see what it makes :)

Andy
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

It's the one that was on the CCi/Capri Power stand at the NEC Classic Car Show last year. It is lovely and the owner seems a decent bloke too.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:It's the one that was on the CCi/Capri Power stand at the NEC Classic Car Show last year. It is lovely and the owner seems a decent bloke too.
Hi Paul,
This is a quote from the advert so I imagine so....;
This car was chosen to represent 30 years of the Capri at last years NEC classic motor show and was described as immaculate in the magazine.
She has been featured in RetroFord with a road trip to classic Le Mans.

Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

That 280TT is amazing! Love it.

Andrew.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Paul G wrote:It's the one that was on the CCi/Capri Power stand at the NEC Classic Car Show last year. It is lovely and the owner seems a decent bloke too.
It is indeed a beautiful car & the owner is a genuine bloke too, if you want one of the best out there, this really is one of them ;)
C4PR1
Car(s): two capris

Post by C4PR1 »

He tried to sell it last year but the reserve was not met.
this is one of Dr Brooklands Capris so it'll be good!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

C4PR1 wrote:He tried to sell it last year but the reserve was not met.
Hi,
What was it bid up to last time?

The reserve now seems to have been reached at £24K. That would be a great buy if the bidder gets it at that price.

Andrew.