Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Laser + GL and now a 3.0S!

Post by D366Y »

Hello all! After many a time thinking I should write something, today is the day! After meeting a few of you today at the Ace (which was a quality day so thanks!) I figured that was he motivation I needed to sit down and crack on...

It started when a month before my 17th birthday I was suprised with a gift from my dad, who we promptly named Debby as we figured that D366YDX looked roughly like DEBBY....

ImageIMG_0396_zpspj49mjel by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

A little 1.6 Laser that needed a little bit of TLC to get her back running right, so when we got her back we started too fix a couple of niggly issues so changed the sparks, leads, dizzy, and then fitted a whole new exhaust as the original had more holes in than cheese!

ImageIMG_0387_zpsqqytz03r by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0386_zps1wwevrc9 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0388_zpsrvwgplyc by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

As you can see there were some bits that needed some filling (and still do!) The bonnet and front wings were the main areas that needed some attention in true Capri fashion!

Image320466_3300161671073_1355957462_n by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

I always loved the RS4 spokes so had a bodyshop friend refurb the wheels to have the black inserts and they look pretty spangly!

After a few too many trip where the thermostat went off the scales, I figured a new rad was in order so went for a shiny alloy number that looks the part quite nicely!

ImageIMG_0273_zps37jure2h by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

Then one stupid Christmas Eve I decided to hit a lamppost on my way into work. I was not overly happy and then had an expensive day ordering a new front valence, wing, bumpers, mounts, lights etc etc and took her in to get sorted and looked better than ever!

ImageIMG_0401_zpswjc5yomg by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

While everything was being repaired at the front I took the time to respray a new grille, and all the headlight surrounds, rings etc so the whole front end was brand new

ImageIMG_0341_zpscgqmcxrd by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

Think it turned out OK!

Image11038561_10204019977167938_4898544639847316803_n by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Image11210482_10204020641264540_2037944094923306481_n by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

So Debby was finally coming together and things were going well... then in October 2014 my dad got a call from an old school friend. His farmer neighbour had an old Capri tucked away in a barn that had been waiting there for the last 15years for someone to care about her. The farmer was looking to free up some space and said I could have the car for £400.

ImageJUW by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageJu by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0399_zpszpseqkxh by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

Guess what happened next??
ImageIMG_0400_zpshiofkoss by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

Following on our naming tradition, JUW 82W was quickly christened June and work began on the next cappa, a mild step up to a 2litre GL Auto, which according to howmanyleft.com there are only 13 left so seems like a pretty sound investment!
She had already had brand new brakes, pipes, tryes, sparks, leads before I started so mainly had to address a lot of cosmetic work and get the little things done to get her to pass an MOT....

More spraying of headlights happened and spent a lifetime getting all the lights to work properly, fitted another new exhaust, fitted a new dizzy and then sorted the timing out and generally spent the weekends taking up the road!

ImageIMG_0442-1 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0441 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0449 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0376 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageSnapchat-7993359024423884230 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageDeb+June by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

Once I'd done as much as I realistically could on my own it was time to start addressing the major bodywork so I dropped June into a garage near me I'd used when I stuffed Debby into a lamppost and they got to work!

ImageIMAG0034 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Image12745721_10205613335200893_3097183189804689675_n by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Image12744557_10205613334520876_2529464302478222430_n by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Image21511_10205613334040864_1816964016594591689_n by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Image1936344_10205613333120841_1566492115123654980_n by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
Image12715719_10205613332320821_2091603792973822754_n by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

A lot of money and time later I got June back and she looks proper pucker! Everything was done while she was in there, all new bumpers, brackets and basically every panel on the car was repainted apart from the bonnet, roof and tailgate.

Once that was all done the car went straight through it's first MOT in almost 20years, and that was about two months ago... Since then I've been wondering what to do next so I started to sand the wheels down ready for a respray and I'll order some new pressed plates soon too but so far I'm taking a well deserved break I think....

Almost two years of owning June and I still haven't actually driven her on the road! I'm hoping to be able to insure the car soon as my insurance on the others is due for renewal soon too so fingers crossed! I will come back and update this as things progress....

Danny
Last edited by D366Y on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Laser + GL

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Great pair of well looked after Capris you've got there Danny. Thanks for posting up the pictures of the work you've done. They're in safe hands, both looking good mate, glad you had a good time at the ACE.
Rob
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
I had just wrote on another thread that there are hardly any photos of your car on this forum, suddenly there are loads of them!
Both cars look fantastic, but the Laser looks especially stunning, as black really suits the shape of the Capri, in my opinion.
I hope to see your car in person at a show sometime.

All the best,
Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Thanks guys, I've been meaning to start a thread for yonks but never seemed to find the time, glad I have though!

As things progress I will be sure to update everything on here as well. Hopefully I can also see your car Andrew, I see that you win many awards so will be something to aim for later down the line I think

All the best
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: I see that you win many awards so will be something to aim for later down the line
Hi Danny,
Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, however, the cars from this forum generally tend to do well at the CCI Nationals. Must be the high standards around here!
You were planning to go a few years ago, weren't you? Hopefully you'll be able to make it in 2017.

Well done for getting the GL through an MOT after a near 20 year lay up.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote: I see that you win many awards so will be something to aim for later down the line
Hi Danny,
Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, however, the cars from this forum generally tend to do well at the CCI Nationals. Must be the high standards around here!
You were planning to go a few years ago, weren't you? Hopefully you'll be able to make it in 2017.

Well done for getting the GL through an MOT after a near 20 year lay up.

Andrew.

I did manage to pop down last year but all too briefly, I left before the awards were dished out but it did give me chance to pick up a few much needed parts! I will try my utmost to head back to Badger's Hill again at least once in 2017, and where possible bring both cars along too!

I was also quite suprised to see the car go through with no advisories at the first attempt! Considering that most years Debby needs some kind of attention it was a nice change and one I hope to repeat on both going forward,

All the best
Danny
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Danny,

Great write up mate ! Thanks for posting up the pictures. Really enjoyed looking through them. It was brilliant to chat with you on Sat at The Ace to hear all you have done to your Capri's. You have been very busy fella but the results are really worth it seeing the pictures and actually seeing your Laser at The Ace. As has already been said they are both in very safe hands. Mate those refurbished alloys look the dogs mate. I too absolutely love the 4 spokes too :) I had the original silver 6x13's but went for the machined 7x13's with the black inserts. They might not be factory but I still love em to bits and can quite easily spend an hour polishing them :wave:

Its great to see a photo of "June" too after hearing you telling me about how you acquired her...stunning find Danny :applaud: Mate its time consuming enough to have one Capri to look after let alone two, so I tip my hat to you sir...keep up the superb work you are doing and I look forward to seeing more pics as and when.

All the best fella

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Hi Danny,

Great write up mate ! Thanks for posting up the pictures. Really enjoyed looking through them. It was brilliant to chat with you on Sat at The Ace to hear all you have done to your Capri's. You have been very busy fella but the results are really worth it seeing the pictures and actually seeing your Laser at The Ace. As has already been said they are both in very safe hands. Mate those refurbished alloys look the dogs mate. I too absolutely love the 4 spokes too :) I had the original silver 6x13's but went for the machined 7x13's with the black inserts. They might not be factory but I still love em to bits and can quite easily spend an hour polishing them :wave:

Its great to see a photo of "June" too after hearing you telling me about how you acquired her...stunning find Danny :applaud: Mate its time consuming enough to have one Capri to look after let alone two, so I tip my hat to you sir...keep up the superb work you are doing and I look forward to seeing more pics as and when.

All the best fella

Nick
Thanks Nick, I love the wheels too but they are starting to look a little more sorry for themselves now and I've been thinking about investing in a new set of deep dish RS4 or 15" that JBW have just started making.

And two are pretty time consuming, but I still want a third! I need to get that V6 bug bitten!
Hopefully for the time being there won't be anything too major for either so I can finally take a break but we all know what usually happens....

All the best
Danny
Green-Ghia
Car(s): 1979 Ford Capri MKIII 2.0 Ghia - Apollo Green

Post by Green-Ghia »

Fantastic photos of your lovely duo, im especially loving your GL, such a rarity these days.
1979 Ford Capri MKIII 2.0 Ghia - Apollo Green / Chocolate Brown Verona Trim
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Green-Ghia wrote:Fantastic photos of your lovely duo, im especially loving your GL, such a rarity these days.
Thanks! lot of time and effort involved in keeping one alive so I'll never understand how I'm managing two :lol:
The GL's rarity was quite a big motivator for me... I wasn't hugely keen on it being an auto initially but apparently there aren't many GLs left at all, let alone Autos which are even rarer so nice to be part of a niche crowd!

I recently had to replace the starter motor on the GL as the original had just completely had it! I think I'm starting to run out of things to do on that one, but I have just started trying to refurb the wheels myself so that will take some time but hopefully will set the car off a treat once they are nice and shiny :woot:

The laser has more personality though I feel.... mainly because it's a grumpy teenager who keeps having mood swings!!
All was working well last week, and took her out on Sunday evening only to discover that the sidelights and one rear light no longer wish to work. :banghead:

After investing in a multimeter (wicked little bit of kt) I know now there is no voltage to either sidelight wire at the multiplug anymore so will have to start investigating where it's all disappeared to!

Just another day of Capri ownership.....

Danny
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Just a few pictures of the wheels trying to tidy them up before I can spray away!

ImageIMG-20160818-WA0009 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageIMG-20160818-WA0011 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageIMG-20160908-WA0004 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr
ImageIMG-20160908-WA0006 by Danny Hassall, on Flickr

The worst part of doing this is definitely trying to get in there and get the rust out, it really doesn't want to know! I'm doing it all by hand with sandpaper/sanding blocks so may take a while to get finished!

Danny
Last edited by D366Y on Thu May 03, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
For rust removal I would definitely recommend investing in a Dremel drill and use flap discs, wire brush or sanding drum attachments as appropriate.
You'll find it takes a lot of the tedium out of the task and takes only a fraction of the time.
Good luck with the wheel refurb.

Andrew.
PS. Nice socks!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
For rust removal I would definitely recommend investing in a Dremel drill and use flap discs, wire brush or sanding drum attachments as appropriate.
You'll find it takes a lot of the tedium out of the task and takes only a fraction of the time.
Good luck with the wheel refurb.

Andrew.
PS. Nice socks!
Thanks Andew, Just found this on :ebay: .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162PC-DREMEL- ... xym2BSG3ZW

Pretty cheap considering how much there is.... I'll probably invest in one of these in the next few days once payday has been! Will hopefully save me being so bored when I'm taking all the rust off at least!

And thanks, my favourite pair!!

All the best
Danny
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Danny,
That looks like a reasonable starter set with almost everything you'll need.
Before you start the job, buy yourself loads of spare sanding drums and flap discs like these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5-10x-Sandi ... WtTJUxlpuw
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pc-1-2-San ... SwstxVLOX6

You'll get through them quite quickly.

A word of warning. Always wear PPE, when using the tool. You'll find that the sanding drums have a tendency to fly off the mandrels when they're being used. Also, if you use the cheap Chinese flap discs, occasionally some chunks may come adrift. You wouldn't want one of them going into your eye. However, as they're disposable, there's no point in buying more expensive items from UK sellers.

Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

D366Y wrote:
The worst part of doing this is definitely trying to get in there and get the rust out, it really doesn't want to know! I'm doing it all by hand with sandpaper/sanding blocks so may take a while to get finished!

Danny
Get them sand blasted Danny... Its probably not as expensive as you'd think!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

sheff wrote:
D366Y wrote:

Danny
Get them sand blasted Danny... Its probably not as expensive as you'd think!
Thanks for the suggestion, not really something I had thought of before.... A cheeky google of the topic shows I have no idea what I am doing or looking for mind! And seeing as I have just invested in a dremel drill as Andrew suggested I think I will see how I get on with that before venturing too much further....

Only time will tell!

All the best,
Danny
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

D366Y wrote: Get them sand blasted Danny... Its probably not as expensive as you'd think!
Thanks for the suggestion, not really something I had thought of before.... A cheeky google of the topic shows I have no idea what I am doing or looking for mind! And seeing as I have just invested in a dremel drill as Andrew suggested I think I will see how I get on with that before venturing too much further....

Only time will tell!

All the best,
Danny[/quote]

When you get bored Danny http://www.full-blast.co.uk/ :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

sheff wrote:When you get bored Danny http://www.full-blast.co.uk/ :lol:
There's always the option to buy your own sandblasting kit to run off a compressor.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/sb4-san ... Ansn8P8HAQ

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
sheff wrote:When you get bored Danny http://www.full-blast.co.uk/ :lol:
There's always the option to buy your own sandblasting kit to run off a compressor.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/sb4-san ... Ansn8P8HAQ

Andrew.
:doh: Thanks for both of these suggestions chaps, didn't realise I was being so thick! :sorry:
An at-home sandblaster as Andrew posted looks very interesting, and give me an excuse to buy a compressor and spraypaint attachments too! No doubt I will let you know which method I end up using...

All the best
Danny
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: and give me an excuse to buy a compressor and spraypaint attachments too!
I'm very good at spending other peoples' money! :D

Andrew.