New Top Gear

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: New Top Gear

Post by andyd »

Taff50ish wrote:

I wonder, how much more can the guy (No Pun intended there.) take!!! A really bad crash back in 2010 at the TT when his Bike just Exploded.... Jeepers!!! Maybe he should stick to TV then and let the new youngsters do the Road Racing!!!???

John...
It would be a shame if anything serious happened to Guy, but its what he enjoys....
I cant understand breaking bones and going back for more though :headscratch:

Need more of him on T/V 'Eh Lass' :lol:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I saw him at Cadwell Park on Sunday, I was up there watching some club bike racing and he was there mooching around the pits chatting to folk.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Guy Martin would have been good. I think he's a bit too down to earth for them to continue with the same style of Top Gear though. Just needs more Chris Harris tbh. Rory Reid was pretty good imo, even though I have no clue who he is.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

-JC- wrote:the Boring 1970s.
You haven't got a clue what you're talking about :) In comparison the boring times are now.
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Well I wasn't around then, but I've seen it on TV! :lol:
NaisiaN
Car(s): 1.6 laser 1986. (Toy)
1.4 Renault 19 TR 1989. (Daily)

Post by NaisiaN »

Gotta say i think Chris Evans was really annoying, everything seemed forced and he got really in matts face at one point which just seemed weird. Plus all the unnecessary woo'in and clapping. (and bored looking audience)

I quite like Matt Leblanc which i wasn't expecting to on a show like this. His chilled out attitude saved it IMO and he seems to really enjoy driving/reviewing. Him and guy martin i think would have worked much better.

Also the bbc should have changed the format a lot more than they have. :mrgreen:
Jordan
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

NaisiaN wrote:Also the bbc should have changed the format a lot more than they have. :mrgreen:
Saw a post elsewhere on the internet theorising that they didn't change it too much so people would see how bad it is in this format and that more radical change is needed, giving them leeway to go ahead and make more drastic changes with the blessing of the fans of the last incarnation. As conspiracy theories go, I don't think it's too far fetched! I wasn't impressed with Ep1, I'm looking to forward to seeing if they up their game with Ep2 though!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

-JC- wrote:Saw a post elsewhere on the internet theorising that they didn't change it too much so people would see how bad it is
Hi,
I can't imagine for a second it was deliberately bad....it was so terrible it could only have been unintentional!
Some people are suggesting that Extra Gear was better, but I can't say as I didn't watch it. I'd had enough by then!

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I haven't watched it, but stopped watching long ago as found it, as some others have said, a very tired and boring formular. It got to the point with Clarkson and Co. that even if something geniunely unexpected happened, no matter how tedious, you'd just assume it was another stunt.

Could be entertaining sometimes, I liked putting that pickup through all those tests.. and a few other things.. but it has been tired for like three thousand years. Can't see how another dickhead will improve it, never liked whatsisname, so wont go out of my way to see it. I've thought for ages that there's probably better things we should have our money spent on.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
-JC- wrote:Saw a post elsewhere on the internet theorising that they didn't change it too much so people would see how bad it is
Hi,
I can't imagine for a second it was deliberately bad....it was so terrible it could only have been unintentional!
Some people are suggesting that Extra Gear was better, but I can't say as I didn't watch it. I'd had enough by then!

Andrew.

Yeah, perhaps not. Yeah I thought extra gear was much better!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi All,
I wonder what today's episode will be like?

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I had a dream about it last night and spoke to Chris Evans extensively. He did not want to speak of it at first. But then the concrete bunker it was filmed in flooded, the policemen were drowned and I had to swim to safety. Once there I found Chris had painted a painting of the earthquake that caused the flood, but it was a black Civic in place of my Capri! Bastard!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Haven't seen yesterday's yet, will catch it later tonight on ketchup
Major_Tom wrote:I had a dream about it last night and spoke to Chris Evans extensively. He did not want to speak of it at first.
That bad eh?
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Watched the second episode, i think it was just the happiness to see some car related tv on a Sunday night was imparring my judgement.
It was pretty boring to watch them trash 3 good cars and the McLaren F1 thing although a great car, he was defo trying to copy Jezza.
I wasn't that impressed on this second episode.
There were certain little changes which were different, but i do think it needs a complete overhaul.

It is good to see some silly stuff or entertainment in the program, but they really need to get back to testing a range of cars. Everyone likes to see 100k+ supercars and sports cars, but what about the normal range.
Why not do some old second hand tests and buys etc?
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Bertie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 injection special
2016 Ford Tourneo Titanium
2015 Subaru Forrester
1958 Porsche 108L Tractor

Post by Bertie »

Well I'll Buck the trend and say I thought the second episode was fine, enjoyed it in the end. Having said that they are in a no win situation following on from Jezza with the same format.

Des
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

Well in all fairness I have given it 3 episodes and to be totally honest I think that is simply because
there is nothing else to watch....
I seriously don't enjoy it like Clarksons time, its too 5th gear too serious.
Sorry but I think they should let this season run and kill it off.
-JC-
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Haven't seen episode 4 (last night's yet) but it seems to be getting better each week
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Sabine was on in what appears to be a cameo role - nice cameo !
The AM Vulcan was astounding - how many seconds lead did it give the Vantage before starting it's lap and winning???
I'll probably watch it again next week.
Away now to buy shares in Tesla...
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

nigecapri wrote:Away now to buy shares in Tesla...
I thought that was actually interesting, it has quite exciting possibilities. The rest....just the same old stuff.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I haven't been able to catch any of the episodes of the new series, other than the first one. Most people seem to agree that each new episode is better than the last.

On the subject of Tesla, here's a short video of one self-parking.

Andrew.