Clunk!!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
01mpope
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 2.0 laser 1985
Ford capri mk1 1600gt 1969

Clunk!!

Post by 01mpope »

Good afternoon all!!

Since getting my car back from its mot, i keep getting a clunking sound!! It sounds like it's coming from my suspension somewhere when I put it on full left lock, and then again when I Straighten up, but it only happens when I'm moving. Also, when I set off from still in a straight line, I get a different clunk, this one sounds like it's coming from the front in the centre somewhere, and I can actually feel it through the car! AND It keeps sounding like theres a metallic rattle, almost as if something is loose, but again i cant see anything!! thing on the front end done on my mot was a n/s track rod end cover, and I have checked that but can't see anything wrong. Im getting worried because it's getting worse over the last week, it started as the odd occasion bit now its every time i turn, or pull away! Any idea what it could be? I don't wat a wheel to fall off or my suspension to fall apart!!! :drive:
:ford: :burnout: :ford:
Bug
Car(s): Some

Re: Clunk!!

Post by Bug »

Take it straight back to the MOT place and tell them!
If they've induced it by changing something then it's up to them to fix it.
If you leave it too long they can claim it wasn't their work that caused it
Go now!
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

After reading a few posts, I'm starting to think at least one of the clunks is unrelated.... when the car is on the ground, I can twist the drive shaft back and forth about 3/4 inch... it shouldn't do this should it? And is that just a case of replacing and retightening the pinion nut?
Andyonthejob
Car(s): `84 A.reg Black 2.0S Capri & '88 Capri 280TT

Post by Andyonthejob »

The clunk on the front is most likely to be a coil spring coming out of it's seat in the strut and then dropping back into place. This can happen when the car's been off its wheels and moved lock to lock which it will have for the mot. If the spring was well rusted into it's seats then taking the weight off it then turning the steering might have allowed it to come unseated. Alternatively it could be a broken coil spring or if you have shortened springs it can cause the same issue in which case you would need to drill a small hole in the spring seat and wire lock into place. If it is just the spring jumping out of it's seat then dropping back in, you're not going to lose a wheel but it does want fixing as it's annoying. Could be a number of things but if it's just been mot'd then pretty much none of what I'm suggesting to check should be wrong.
As for the noise on the rear...
You will always have play when you rotate the propshaft as there will be backlash in the dif. The dif flange is on a spline so unless you can pull it forwards and backwards tightening the nut won't help. Check the prop flange bolts are all tight. Then check rear anti roll bar bushes and shocker bushes etc.
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

Thanks for your reply, I'll have a look at all you have suggested and see what I can come up with! Also, I noticed that when the car was in the garage, he had the back end jacked up, with the jack on yhe diff!! Could this have caused any damage?

I have also just found that I can wiggle my prop up and down in the centre mounting/bearing, I'm a complete amateur so I don't know how it should be, but isn't that a bearing that shouldn't have much play??
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

01mpope wrote:he had the back end jacked up, with the jack on the diff!! Could this have caused any damage?
Don't worry, that is a widely accepted way of lifting the back end.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Still can't understand, if the clunking started after the garage had it, why you're faffing about with it yourself?
If you do and find something they've done, then they will claim you've disturbed it, not them.
:doh:
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

:agree:
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

I haven't taken it back to the garage because I don't trust him! It was an independent, not an official garage who was recommended by a friend, he didn't get my car back to me when he said he would and ignored my calls when I tried, I went there after hours and found my car unlocked, keys in the ignition, (thousands of pounds worth of stuff in the boot), he has patch welded my sills so now I have to replace them completely, and I really don't trust him... I don't want him anywhere near the car!!
I should have gone to a proper garage but I was trying to save pennies and he was recommended, big mistake that was!
So now I either deal with it myself or pay someone else to sort out his mess!!
:doh:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

01mpope wrote: I should have gone to a proper garage but I was trying to save pennies and he was recommended, big mistake that was!
I'm sure that's happened to many of us, it has to me. I don't think that I would go back either. Unless it was to try and get money back.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

I can see why you don't want him to work on it..

However, you paid him to do work and from what you have said, he did it badly enough it will cost you to put right. The description of the work undertaken above, if established, suggests he has performed the work negligently. If the work is negligent, and leads to other work being required to rectify it, the garage is liable to pay for it. Plus I would want back what I had paid him.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I understand how the OP feels. Sometimes, when you've had a bad experience like this, you just want to forget all about it, move on and not have any further grief.
Yes, the money paid for the work should be returned, but the garage owner isn't going to simply hand it over without putting up a fight.

By the way, the movement in the centre of the propshaft could be the rubber that's worn.
http://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/p647.html

I hope you get your car issues fixed.

Andrew.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

I understand too, it really is not pleasant to have something like this happen. I, for one, do hope that it is all resolved.

It does remain the fact though that there is recourse. The car was not doing this before, and after somebody fiddled with it, the car is not right. It is any individual's choice whether or not to go back and seek restitution. Of course, the garage owner might put up a fight or he might not. That cannot be known unless he is approached. By example, a friend of mine had his vehicle crashed into a door after its MOT last Friday (mechanic had changed discs and pads and forgot to pump the pedal to get the pads working so no brakes). They repaired it poorly. We had a look and I suggested going back. A week later, he has it back like new, the garage owner took him to a bodyshop, pulled strings to get him to the front of the queue and paid for everything.

I wish the OP luck, whatever he chooses to do, and hope the car is sorted out whomever does it.
01mpope

Post by 01mpope »

Good evening!!

I decided not to go back to the garage, he's a complete bodger, a bit of a loudmouth and I'm told can be quite a pain when it comes to complaining about his work!!

So after some investigation, and with help from these replies/this forum, I have found the problem!! (One of them)...

The rubber ony centre bearing is completely shot, so I shall be replacing that and the bearing while I'm at it.
I have also ordered a whole set of poly bushes for the front and rear suspension...
Steering Rack Mounts
Front anti Roll bar Mount 24mm
Front track control Arm Inner bushes - steel inserts
Front track Control Arm Outer Bushes - steel inserts
Rear spring front eye bush x Steering Rack Mounts
Front anti Roll bar Mount 24mm
Front track control Arm Inner bushes - steel inserts
Front track Control Arm Outer Bushes - steel inserts
Rear spring front eye bushes - steel inserts
Rear Spring Rear Eye Bushes steel inserts
Rear Spring Shackle bushes
Rear Anti Roll bar Axle bushes 14mm
Rear Anti roll bar end bushes - steel inserts
2 - steel inserts
Rear Spring Rear Eye Bushes steel inserts
Rear Spring Shackle bushes
Rear Anti Roll bar Axle bush 14mm x 2
Rear Anti roll bar end bush x 2 - steel inserts

That should sort out any more knocks or play!

Thanks for the replies and help everyone, in future I'll either go to a proper garage or do the job myself!

Until next time... :wave:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

01mpope wrote:Rear Anti Roll bar Axle bush 14mm x 2
Unless it`s been swapped, I think you`ll find the lasers had a 12mm ARB; the 14mm was fitted to 2.8s.