Help with wing rail

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
CapriCrayford3000
Car(s): Capri Crayford 3000 GT XLR

Help with wing rail

Post by CapriCrayford3000 »

Hi all. Please see photo below of my brookie. I am about to hand her over to a body shop to do some repairs. He seems competent but is a generslist i was wondering if anyone knows the best way to repair the rottrn bits at the top of the wings i believe they are cslled wing drip rails? Plz correct me if i am wrong ....

Thanks for any potrntisl replies in advance ....
CapriCrayford3000

Re: Help with wing rail

I seen these on capri club

http://capriclub.co.uk/capri-panel-work ... l?limit=50

Would these replace the existing?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Your problem is that the wing and the wing rail have rotted. The wing rail attaches to the top of the inner wing so, yes, that part would repair one area but then the wing itself is spot welded to the drip rail so your wing needs new metal welding on as well. This would mean the wing being taken off so be prepared for more nasty surprises.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Peter-S wrote:Your problem is that the wing and the wing rail have rotted. The wing rail attaches to the top of the inner wing so, yes, that part would repair one area but then the wing itself is spot welded to the drip rail so your wing needs new metal welding on as well. This would mean the wing being taken off so be prepared for more nasty surprises.
As he said, if the wing looks that bad, i reckon you are going to scare yourself when it comes off. I think it is actually a big job doing a wing on a Capri. Just make sure its done right otherwise they look properly crap.

Probably easier to try and source a good second hand wing, but it will cost you. Otherwise try the pattern route but they can be a real headache.
Suppose it depends on how much you doing yourself.

For mine, i have decided not to weld the wing back on and i am putting mine on with bolts. But this means the inner wing needs a bit of strengthening and a bit more work. e.g. double skin wing drip rail for a solid clamping surface and welding in captive nuts to bolt the wing on in multiple locations. Alignment is not great, but its a track car so i don't care too much there lol
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
Andyonthejob
Car(s): `84 A.reg Black 2.0S Capri & '88 Capri 280TT

Post by Andyonthejob »

Might wanna move that fuel line from rubbing against the butterfly shaped washer on your suspension top mount too.
Sorry pal, there's nothing nice gonna come from taking that wing off unless you're well prepared for a lot of welding work or a lot of expense if you have to pay someone.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Looks to me, with the very limited view in this one picture, that your wing is original? Might be worth trying to save it. Take it to a less general workshop and have them repair the lip and ptch up any other bits. At least that way you know it'll go back on perfectly.
Worst comes to worse you could buy a pattern wing, cut thee top lip off and weld it onto yours?

Just a thought, rather than writing it off completely. Like others have said, pattern wings seldom fit right.

It is likely that it has gone elsewhere, as others have said. If you look under the drip rail from the inside can you see any rust coming through there as well?
You might be lucky in that you take the wing off and there is no other rot. Looks as though the rest of the drip rail is solid, and there doesn't appear to be any bulging in the strut top that's common with inner wings rotting. You may get away with repairing the wing, welding it back on.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

MattMe wrote:
You might be lucky in that you take the wing off and there is no other rot.

Be serious...it's a cabbage isn't it?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I think that already is a repacement "pattern" wing. The fold over on the drip rail isn't as sharp as a Ford one and it doesn't have the little tangs that cables etc can clip on to, nor the little dimples. No shame in pattern wings in my opinion; I know they take work to get them to fit well but I don't understand why people get on their high horse about them so much.

Nice car though.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

340truck wrote:
MattMe wrote:
You might be lucky in that you take the wing off and there is no other rot.

Be serious...it's a cabbage isn't it?
:lol: I've taxed worse!
CapriCrayford3000

Just to say thx for advice will pass onto bodyshop! Cheers!