Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Bodies 3.0S

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Bodies 3.0S

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Andy,
Good find, I wouldn't mind owning that!
I think that car looks very tidy indeed, but I think it's one for investors to store away, as I can't see it being used on the road too often.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Andy,
Good find, I wouldn't mind owning that!
I think that car looks very tidy indeed, but I think it's one for investors to store away, as I can't see it being used on the road too often.

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
I would like it too, but way beyond my reach.
I think this will be 50k + if the right bidders/collectors are there

Andy
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

thats the one that was reshelled, so how the fuck can it be "bodie's" car he never sat in it.
mike
andyd

Post by andyd »

turbo-mike wrote:thats the one that was reshelled, so how the fuck can it be "bodie's" car he never sat in it.
mike
Really :o I wasn't aware of that :headscratch:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

turbo-mike wrote:thats the one that was reshelled, so how can it be "bodie's" car he never sat in it.
andyd wrote:Really :o I wasn't aware of that :headscratch:
Hi,
It's the same situation as the Minder Capri though, isn't it? The car bears the correct registration, that will be good enough for most people.

How much would a regular 3.0S in similar condition fetch at auction now? I believe that this one hasn't got that much of a premium attached to it for being a Professionals car, it does make it more desirable though, in my opinion.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

turbo-mike wrote:thats the one that was reshelled, so how the fuck can it be "bodie's" car he never sat in it.
mike
Found this by Google search of reg no.
Quote "The first silver 3.0S (Bodies car UOO303T in the series) - this plate was worn by both VHK495S & COO251T.
VHK495S was written off in the 80s and the owner left it languishing for years in his garden despite many good offers to buy the car. Eventually he relented and the buyer reshelled it into the best genuine 3.0S shell he could get at the time (mid-late 90s I think) which was white hence why VHK495S is now white!
The VHK 49_S series of capris are significant as they were pre-production models."End Quote

Obviously the car has since returned to its original colour of Silver
turbo-mike

Post by turbo-mike »

They should be done under trade description act or fraud as the original white car donor car may have never been around at the time this car was ment to be on tv, I for one would never buy this car for any more than a equivalent reshelled 3.0s was worth and even then I would probably still go for another one without all the shit that will bring, fancy every show you go to all you will get is that's not the real one its the reshelled lookalike. And the seller is 100% aware that it is a reshell and I bet he ain't putting that in the description.
Mike
andyd

Post by andyd »

turbo-mike wrote:They should be done under trade description act or fraud as the original white car donor car may have never been around at the time this car was ment to be on tv, I for one would never buy this car for any more than a equivalent reshelled 3.0s was worth and even then I would probably still go for another one without all the shit that will bring, fancy every show you go to all you will get is that's not the real one its the reshelled lookalike. And the seller is 100% aware that it is a reshell and I bet he ain't putting that in the description.
Mike
I hope any potential buyer finds out it's not original, as there's nothing worse finding out after you've bought it......rich or not :doh:
If then it still doesn't bother them, then I've no sympathy.

Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I would hope that anyone going to the auction specifically to buy this car would do their research beforehand. I suppose if somebody gets caught up in the auction fever and has a spontaneous bid, then they could get into trouble.

The vendor does state that the car has been restored in his ownership. In terms of originality, is there much difference between a reshell, and a car that has had extensive sections of the body, floor pan or whatever, cut out and replaced due to corrosion? Although I do concede that it should be disclosed in the catalogue listing.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I've just noticed that it's for sale at the same auction as the Minder cars. Those results will be worth keeping an eye on, I hope they publish the results online.

Andrew.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Very interesting I thought the Minder car had a story and this as well. It's one if those isn't it. I think even as a reshell its right to have saved it even if it's just the plate because once it's gone it's gone but as Mike says every show you go to - well Capri related you are going to get the same thing. People will naturally go over the car and pass comments. My view is if you can keep the chassis at all costs then that to me makes it the same car, if it's resheller then it becomes the other car. I had this same battle with mine. The most cost effective way is most definitely a reshell that's for sure. Mine has had quite a bit of work but nowhere near as much as anticipated it's on the same chassis and I'll make no secret of it. That said when I worked at a dealer almost every car on the used market had some repair in its life and most Capris specs are all over the place. I really don't know with this where the land should lay, I know what the law says but you can't buy new shells. I'm pleased it's another one on the road but it isn't the Professionals car.
turbo-mike

Post by turbo-mike »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Very interesting I thought the Minder car had a story and this as well. It's one if those isn't it. I think even as a reshell its right to have saved it even if it's just the plate because once it's gone it's gone but as Mike says every show you go to - well Capri related you are going to get the same thing. People will naturally go over the car and pass comments. My view is if you can keep the chassis at all costs then that to me makes it the same car, if it's resheller then it becomes the other car. I had this same battle with mine. The most cost effective way is most definitely a reshell that's for sure. Mine has had quite a bit of work but nowhere near as much as anticipated it's on the same chassis and I'll make no secret of it. That said when I worked at a dealer almost every car on the used market had some repair in its life and most Capris specs are all over the place. I really don't know with this where the land should lay, I know what the law says but you can't buy new shells. I'm pleased it's another one on the road but it isn't the Professionals car.
My thoughts on reshelled are they are like ladyboy's they may look like the real thing if not better but when you mount he/she in the back of your mind as it slipps in is, that it was not that long ago it had a dick, and that will always be the same with a reshell, I can see it is far cheaper to reshell rather than restore but the only thing that makes 1 car unique is the vin number, and that can't be transferred by law, so even tho enough of the original components may have been changed to transfer the reg thats all you have done, the original car/shell is skipped,

I know there allways will be the fact that bits get worn so get changed and metal rusts so panels get changed but the main part of the car in fact it's hart and sole remain so that's why restored cars are the best way to go, And yes I can see that some historical cars may need to be kept for future generations to enjoy so for some cases reshelling may be the only way to keep it but it still wont be "the car" But I can not see the case for standard every day cars like "S" 280 etc to be reshelled rather than to make more money for a seller, they should just be let to die,
mike
Andyonthejob
Car(s): `84 A.reg Black 2.0S Capri & '88 Capri 280TT

Post by Andyonthejob »

turbo-mike wrote: I know there allways will be the fact that bits get worn so get changed and metal rusts so panels get changed but the main part of the car in fact it's hart and sole remain
mike
I love the "reshell" issue. I explained this dilemma to our lass to see what a "non petrolhead" would make of it. I asked her to imagine I had two identical colour and aged 2.0 Laser shells. Both have logbooks but one has paperwork with low owners and low miles but is a basket case, the other has 15 owners and rocket ship miles but is a mint shell.

If I just chop out the chassis stamp next to the drivers seat on the low miler and graft it to the good shell (but do it nicely so it joins to the seams where possible) is this ok?
She said no as its not the original car but has the low miler`s registration number.

I explained that doing this would probably be the more structurally sound way as, when done, it would not be a chopped and welded shell so much stronger and safer.
She said that still wasn`t a reason for "cheating"!

I then asked her if I chopped up the high miler good shell and chunk by chunk welded any necessary panels on to the basket case would that be ok?
She said yes as it`s repairing the original low mileage shell.

Next I told her that the low miler shell was so bad I ended up chopping all the parts off the good shell and welding them on and in the end i`d replaced every panel of the low miler piece by piece using the whole of the good shell.
She was reluctant to say what i`d done was okay. She acknowledged i`d essentially repaired the low miler shell but knowing there was nothing left of the original metal still said that wasn`t right either but would be more acceptable if this was done by necessity over a longer period of time.

My last question to her was.....if I kept the basket case shell so as to "keep it`s original DNA" at what point would I have replaced so much that it is not classed in her mind as the original car any more?
She wasn`t sure but again, said if it was done over time as and when it was needed it would be more acceptable.

She did say that if its past being safely repaired then it should be left to die !

So what i`d like to know is how many panels can be replaced before, in most peoples minds, and over what period of time, the original shell has lost its true identity ?

Is there an official answer from DVSA (VOSA) etc ?

Andy
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

I'm still using the same broom my Grandmother used in the 1950s. It's had the occasional new handle and the occasional new head but.....

Ok, bit facetious but I guess it depends on how you look at it. To me, if it is reshelled, it is not the same thing as the car that featured in the programme. It might be the same underneath and inside (we don't even know that - the extent of the restoration might make it the proverbial handed down broom) but Bodie's hands did not touch the bodywork and that shell is not the one that can be seen on screen. If I have a heart transplant and the donor is John Lennon, it does not mean that I will suddenly sing with a haunting Merseybeat voice and get chased by a hoard everywhere I go.

I agree with the combination of Mike and Andrew's posts. It is a 3.0S car that is not what it was so as to make it significantly different than another good one, but it will be enough for at least one person to view it as sufficiently different from another comparable car.

Mike
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

turbo-mike wrote: when you mount he/she in the back of your mind as it slipps in is, that it was not that long ago it had a dick,
Not the first analogy that sprang to mind.... but I can imagine how that could feel :o .
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

In may (or rather may not) be all that original anymore, but the fact will still remain that, if you want a Professionals Capri, of the cars for sale out there this is the closest you can get.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Maybe the best way to look at it is, its a reshelled/restored 3.0S with a famous number plate, and bid accordingly???
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Some more info on the car here from a little while ago -

http://www.capriclubni.com/prof7.html
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Some more info on the car here from a little while ago -

http://www.capriclubni.com/prof7.html
VHK11W is and will always be my favorite Professionals car.......Great colour :D